The Student Room Group

First year - Private or Halls?

Are university halls better for first year students rather than private third parties i.e Unilife, Host?

I'll hopefully be attending University of Southampton this september. My plan was to choose an ensuite room with a double bed (I'm very tall) and so my options were very limited to 2 university halls, as all others either lacked the room type or have been fully booked/applied for. Both these halls are far from the city centre and still very expensive considering how dated they seem. I would prefer to be in the city centre and be where everything is happenning. After looking online at Unilife, Host and other private accommodation in Southampton, it seems almost crazy to choose anything else because they're so much cheaper,modern and value for money. My concern though is that I won't make many friends who have also just started University if I am to choose private accomodation and I would hate to isolate myself during my first year.

Has anyone had experience with private halls like this during their first year or in general? Struggling to weigh up the pros/cons :/
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
go halls for first year if you can afford it!
I went halls for the first year and glad I did.
Original post by Testa015
Are university halls better for first year students rather than private third parties i.e Unilife, Host?

I'll hopefully be attending University of Southampton this september. My plan was to choose an ensuite room with a double bed (I'm very tall) and so my options were very limited to 2 university halls, as all others either lacked the room type or have been fully booked/applied for. Both these halls are far from the city centre and still very expensive considering how dated they seem. I would prefer to be in the city centre and be where everything is happenning. After looking online at Unilife, Host and other private accommodation in Southampton, it seems almost crazy to choose anything else because they're so much cheaper,modern and value for money. My concern though is that I won't make many friends who have also just started University if I am to choose private accomodation and I would hate to isolate myself during my first year.

Has anyone had experience with private halls like this during their first year or in general? Struggling to weigh up the pros/cons :/

If you can afford it then halls are by far the best way to go. It's a great way to meet lots of other students and make friends, which is definitely something you want to do in your first year. If, as is often the case, they are close to the university that's another advantage while you are settling in.
Reply 4
I think it depends how independent you are. I enjoyed halls as a traditional introduction to uni life. However it is quite claustrophobic and intense at times and I was happy to move to flats in year 2 and even happier a shared house in year 3
Reply 5
I'm having the same worry,
Glen Eyre and mayflower both has small double beds but there around 7500 for 2020-2021, its a lot of money for not great quality. I'v had a talk with some people at uni and while uni halls is great for the " social experience " private halls are becoming more popular and i know a far few freshers who have chosen them. I don't think you'll loose out on making friends especially if you attend the private halls social events + freshers week. i think the price is such a big impact for me and id rather save a grand or two and go private and just have to try slightly harder to make friends ( joining societies etc). I'm pretty certain I'm going to go private probably at liberty point or Austen house.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending