The Student Room Group

A level chemistry amines

Identify a substance that could be added to aqueous butylamine to produce a basic buffer solution.

thanks
Reply 1
Butanoic acid?
Original post by Deggs_14
Butanoic acid?

I guess it cud be butylammonium chloride? cuz for ammonium, its ammonium chloride right?
Reply 3
Original post by lyer_in_hellfyre
I guess it cud be butylammonium chloride? cuz for ammonium, its ammonium chloride right?

Oh yes that’s correct. My mistake.
(edited 4 years ago)
Oh yes that’s correct.

ah ok thnx :yy:
Reply 5
Butanoic acid?

Since one can add an acid to a weak base (assuming the base is in excess), the mixture would contain butanamine and butanammonium ions so wouldn't this be a basic buffer?
Reply 6

how do you get this? are you just meant to add in a salt of the base butylamine?
beacuse, I thought for a base, you would add in an acid and it is only for an acid that you add in a salt?
Original post by he3456
how do you get this? are you just meant to add in a salt of the base butylamine?
beacuse, I thought for a base, you would add in an acid and it is only for an acid that you add in a salt?

Nope, salt of butylamine's conjugate acid is butylammonium chloride since we need a weak base and its conjugate acid for basic buffer ( i found it easier to think about ammonia and ammonium and then apply it to amines)

If its for acid buffer, we need weak acid, and its conjugate base which we get from conjugate base salt
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8
Nope, salt of butylamine's conjugate acid is butylammonium chloride since we need a weak base and its conjugate acid for basic buffer ( i found it easier to think about ammonia and ammonium and then apply it to amines)

If its for acid buffer, we need weak acid, and its conjugate base which we get from conjugate base salt

thanks

Quick Reply

Latest