The Student Room Group

A level choices - for VETMED

Hey,

I’m currently in year 11, about to sit my GCSE’s, and I have now picked my A level options. I picked to study: Biology, Chemistry and Psychology. As well as, and EPQ and Core Maths. Are these options good enough for a VETMED university, and will they be enough to get me in?

- Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

These should be good enough to satisfy the entry requirements for most vet schools. However, they alone won't get you in. You need the best grades in them, of course, and as much work experience from as large a variety as possible- try and go well beyond the minimum requirements if you can.

Also just a note: your EPQ and Maths are not required by any vet schools. The EPQ might give you a bit of an advantage if you do it on a veterinary topic as you can talk about it in your Personal Statement, but do not let working on this take away from your top grades in your three main A Levels. Getting the grades is more important than the extra stuff!

I hope this helps somewhat. Let me know if you have any questions about work experience. :smile:
Reply 2
hey :smile: I’m also in year 11 and definitely want a science career (not sure what yet) and I want to take chemistry, biology and drama (or maybe switching to English lit) and I’m going to do an EPQ.

I’m not an expert, but ur options seem to be very good and work well together. Don’t feel pressured to take loads for medicine especially if you don’t enjoy something and are just taking it because it seems better. check some courses at different unis and see what they require you to take. I think for most it’s usually two sciences or one science and maths.

core maths is good because you can apply that knowledge to science, and psychology sounds very interesting. also doing an EPQ can sometimes lower your requirements for unis- especially when orientated to the course you want to take.

Basically, take the subjects you are good and enjoy. it does sound like a lot of work though (just personal opinion). i think I wouldn’t take core maths but I’m not a huge fan of maths, and you could be very good at it!

again I’m not an expert, just giving some advice good luck :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by louisvbird
These should be good enough to satisfy the entry requirements for most vet schools. However, they alone won't get you in. You need the best grades in them, of course, and as much work experience from as large a variety as possible- try and go well beyond the minimum requirements if you can.

Also just a note: your EPQ and Maths are not required by any vet schools. The EPQ might give you a bit of an advantage if you do it on a veterinary topic as you can talk about it in your Personal Statement, but do not let working on this take away from your top grades in your three main A Levels. Getting the grades is more important than the extra stuff!

I hope this helps somewhat. Let me know if you have any questions about work experience. :smile:

Thank you! For the universities I want to go to I need 4 weeks of experience. I have already done 4 weeks, however I will do more work experience in year 12 & 13 to better my chances.
Reply 4
Original post by saffira
hey :smile: I’m also in year 11 and definitely want a science career (not sure what yet) and I want to take chemistry, biology and drama (or maybe switching to English lit) and I’m going to do an EPQ.

I’m not an expert, but ur options seem to be very good and work well together. Don’t feel pressured to take loads for medicine especially if you don’t enjoy something and are just taking it because it seems better. check some courses at different unis and see what they require you to take. I think for most it’s usually two sciences or one science and maths.

core maths is good because you can apply that knowledge to science, and psychology sounds very interesting. also doing an EPQ can sometimes lower your requirements for unis- especially when orientated to the course you want to take.

Basically, take the subjects you are good and enjoy. it does sound like a lot of work though (just personal opinion). i think I wouldn’t take core maths but I’m not a huge fan of maths, and you could be very good at it!

again I’m not an expert, just giving some advice good luck :smile:

Thanks! I also heard that EPQ’s are one of the main topics in your university interview, meaning you will have a lot to talk about, in an area that you’re comfortable with.
Original post by Macdeff
Thank you! For the universities I want to go to I need 4 weeks of experience. I have already done 4 weeks, however I will do more work experience in year 12 & 13 to better my chances.

That's great! So everything you do from now is a bonus. I needed 4 weeks but ended up doing over 12. If you can cover small animals, farm animals and lambing, equine and some clinical work you'll be in a great position! Good luck!
Reply 6
Original post by louisvbird
That's great! So everything you do from now is a bonus. I needed 4 weeks but ended up doing over 12. If you can cover small animals, farm animals and lambing, equine and some clinical work you'll be in a great position! Good luck!

Cool, what university do you attend?
Original post by Macdeff
Thanks! I also heard that EPQ’s are one of the main topics in your university interview, meaning you will have a lot to talk about, in an area that you’re comfortable with.

It really depends on the interview style that each vet school uses. Most vet schools use MMIs (multiple mini interviews) and have certain topics at each station. Vet schools that use MMIs often don't read your personal statement so the interviewers won't know that you've completed an EPQ. MMIs are often very intense and it's often hard enough to fit in all the things you want to say in the short amount of time that you have at each station. I know Surrey reduces your offer if you get an A in your EPQ but most vet schools don't reduce your offer no matter how well you do in your EPQ. I personally didn't find my EPQ useful and wish I'd not done one and spent more time studying for my other subjects, however, I know plenty of other students that enjoyed their EPQ and are glad that they did one. I found my work experience more helpful for interviews and having a lot of varied work experience definitely stood me in good stead for my interviews.
Original post by Macdeff

Be wary of cut off dates - many universities won't count experience over 18 months before application
Also aim for atleast 12 weeks if you wish to be competitive - the minimum requirements are minimums and do not help with interview performance compared to a more well rounded candidate who has more experience to talk about.
Reply 9
Original post by TheWannabeFarmer
Be wary of cut off dates - many universities won't count experience over 18 months before application
Also aim for atleast 12 weeks if you wish to be competitive - the minimum requirements are minimums and do not help with interview performance compared to a more well rounded candidate who has more experience to talk about.

I was thinking about that, that’s why I want to do at least another 10 weeks of experience in Year 13. But it’s not a problem for me as there are already 3 vets in my family (who own their own practice), and I live in a rural area with many farms, and animal shelters around.
Original post by Macdeff
I was thinking about that, that’s why I want to do at least another 10 weeks of experience in Year 13. But it’s not a problem for me as there are already 3 vets in my family (who own their own practice), and I live in a rural area with many farms, and animal shelters around.

I'd check university websites as I'm pretty certain some vet schools don't count work experience at family businesses as work experience that counts towards their minimum requirements.
Reply 11
Original post by OrangeArcher
I'd check university websites as I'm pretty certain some vet schools don't count work experience at family businesses as work experience that counts towards their minimum requirements.

Wow... Amazing. There are also other veterinary hospitals I can do work experience at, but thanks for telling me.
Original post by Macdeff
Hey,

I’m currently in year 11, about to sit my GCSE’s, and I have now picked my A level options. I picked to study: Biology, Chemistry and Psychology. As well as, and EPQ and Core Maths. Are these options good enough for a VETMED university, and will they be enough to get me in?

- Thanks.

Definitely good enough. Im in year 13 and do bio, chem and geography and have gotten vet med offers so you are choosing great options.
Original post by Macdeff
Wow... Amazing. There are also other veterinary hospitals I can do work experience at, but thanks for telling me.

I wouldn't hold it as fact as I didn't have an issue with any of my placements as I didn't have any family in the veterinary industry or farming industry etc but it may be worthwhile checking websites for the unis you want to apply to.
Original post by Macdeff

Try to get a variety. For example small vet, large vet, farm park/farm and something interesting like lambing/abattoir/laboratory. Gives you a lot to talk about and more range and knowledge for interviews
Also check for deadlines. Some unis say in the last 18 months some say in the last 3 years. It's something id double check
Reply 15
Original post by flamingolover
Definitely good enough. Im in year 13 and do bio, chem and geography and have gotten vet med offers so you are choosing great options.

What unis did you get offers from and what were your grades? Sorry for asking.
Reply 16
I wouldn't hold it as fact as I didn't have an issue with any of my placements as I didn't have any family in the veterinary industry or farming industry etc but it may be worthwhile checking websites for the unis you want to apply to.

What Uni do you attend now, what A levels did you study, and what grades did you get? I’m sorry for asking I only want to see what sort of grades you need to achieve.
Original post by Macdeff
What Uni do you attend now, what A levels did you study, and what grades did you get? I’m sorry for asking I only want to see what sort of grades you need to achieve.

I'm currently resitting my a levels this year after not achieving the grades I needed for my Surrey vet school offer that I had for 2019 entry. I've firmed Liverpool and insured Harper & Keele this year. I'm studying biology, chemistry and maths and got BCD in those subjects last year. I'm hoping to achieve at least A*AA this year as that's what the grade requirements are for my Liverpool offer this year.
Reply 18
I'm currently resitting my a levels this year after not achieving the grades I needed for my Surrey vet school offer that I had for 2019 entry. I've firmed Liverpool and insured Harper & Keele this year. I'm studying biology, chemistry and maths and got BCD in those subjects last year. I'm hoping to achieve at least A*AA this year as that's what the grade requirements are for my Liverpool offer this year.

Is Harper & Keele, the new vet school?
Original post by flamingolover
Also check for deadlines. Some unis say in the last 18 months some say in the last 3 years. It's something id double check

Yes, recent work experience is better, but even if older work experience doesn't 'count' in terms of what their minimum requirements are for application, still put them down in addition as it shows you have been serious about the subject for some time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending