The Student Room Group

Kings vs Durham vs St. Andrews - Reputation and Prestige?

So I have now recieved offers from all my universities and I need to decide which university I need to firm and insure for Economics.

How would you compare these universities in terms of prestige and resputation?

PS I know how the universty locations are different and so on.. However, I specifically want to know the differences in reputation.
Original post by That_Guy_Omzz
So I have now recieved offers from all my universities and I need to decide which university I need to firm and insure for Economics.

How would you compare these universities in terms of prestige and resputation?

PS I know how the universty locations are different and so on.. However, I specifically want to know the differences in reputation.

If you're talking about Kings College in Cambridge... Then Kings would be the more prestigious one followed by St Andrews and then Durham.....
If you're talking about KCL, then St Andrews is the best reputed ... St Andrews> Durham>KCL
Reply 2
Reputation and prestige mean different things to different people. There is very little in it, so look at each course and see which one you prefer.

Otherwise, If you hate big cities, avoid KCL. If you would love to live in a big city, then go with KCL. If you would hate to study for 4 years (with the extra fees etc) then avoid St Andrews. Likewise, if you love clubbing, give St Andrews a miss.

But, at the end of the day, each will give you a respected degree, so go where you think you will be happy, with a course that interests you, because it's hard to get a First if you're miserable!
Reply 3
All 3 are good and I don’t think would really affect you getting a job in the future. Go to the one where you feel the course content suits you best, and also consider which place you would most enjoy living in. The class of degree you get will matter more than which of these unis you go to, and I’d expect you will do better if you are happier.
Reply 4
For reputation people will have different opinions, partly due to bias to the one they went to probably. I personally applied for St. Andrews and Durham out of these and got offers for both but picked neither, choosing Oxford as my firm and Edinburgh as insurance (would have been my firm if Oxford rejected me). I didn’t want to live in London so never applied to UCL or King’s.
Thanks for the responses guys. Also which one would help me the most in landing a job in investment banking?
Reply 6
Original post by That_Guy_Omzz
Thanks for the responses guys. Also which one would help me the most in landing a job in investment banking?

I would say that if you want to go into IB, then your work experience is more important than which of these universities you went to. If you're keen to go into IB then maybe Kings may be easier due to it being in London and you'd be on their doorstep.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending