The Student Room Group

Sheffield A100 / A101 2020 Offer Holders

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gilbertemmajo
I think it was worth going, I found the morning a bit dull, as it was just the kind of things you'd do at an open day but the afternoon at the medical school was really good. They had some small sessions going on in seminar rooms so lots to do, lots of people to ask questions and lots of medical offer holders to chat too. Then a very informative talk with Julian! My dad came, and most people had parents with them. Hope this helps x

thank u this was really helpful! did the day finish exactly at 4, or could you leave earlier? also what happened for lunch? i’m going with my friends who have offer holder days in other departments so i’m just wondering if i can meet them at lunch
Original post by gilbertemmajo
I think it was worth going, I found the morning a bit dull, as it was just the kind of things you'd do at an open day but the afternoon at the medical school was really good. They had some small sessions going on in seminar rooms so lots to do, lots of people to ask questions and lots of medical offer holders to chat too. Then a very informative talk with Julian! My dad came, and most people had parents with them. Hope this helps x

did they give out any information or letters about accommodation and stuff like that?
Original post by slimthicc
thank u this was really helpful! did the day finish exactly at 4, or could you leave earlier? also what happened for lunch? i’m going with my friends who have offer holder days in other departments so i’m just wondering if i can meet them at lunch

You could leave when you wanted, I was done at around 3 ish. And as for lunch you could go wherever, they gave you £5 to spend on uni shops and cafes in the SU so you could meet your friends there and get some food, but my medical talk started at 2,so I got there for 1ish,did the seminar rooms then the talk. Just means there's not too much time for lunch, but enough if you get me haha
Original post by TheDemeaning
did they give out any information or letters about accommodation and stuff like that?

There was an accommodation stand at the exhibition, so lots of info there. Also loads of people around to ask questions about accommodation. At the tours, the rooms had all the info on the door (regarding price and stuff)
Reply 64
When can we start booking accommodation?
Do we wait for an email?
Original post by Rannom
When can we start booking accommodation?
Do we wait for an email?

You get an email notifying you that you can book your accommodation via MUSE. You are guaranteed accommodation and will have a selection of options from Endcliffe Village or in the City. But not all the available rooms are released at one go. So you will find other blocks becoming available in the later weeks.

A good number of Year 1 Medicine stay in Endcliffe which is a 20 to 30 minute walk to the Medical School. When you book your room you can view a brief description of your flatmates who have already booked. Highly recommended you put down what you are studying, whether you like to go to bed before midnight, dietary restrictions, etc. The university tries to ensure there are at least 2 medics in a flat and it is possible to have a whole flat full of medics. Birds of the same feather tend to flock together.
Reply 66
Original post by PJgirl2001
You get an email notifying you that you can book your accommodation via MUSE. You are guaranteed accommodation and will have a selection of options from Endcliffe Village or in the City. But not all the available rooms are released at one go. So you will find other blocks becoming available in the later weeks.

A good number of Year 1 Medicine stay in Endcliffe which is a 20 to 30 minute walk to the Medical School. When you book your room you can view a brief description of your flatmates who have already booked. Highly recommended you put down what you are studying, whether you like to go to bed before midnight, dietary restrictions, etc. The university tries to ensure there are at least 2 medics in a flat and it is possible to have a whole flat full of medics. Birds of the same feather tend to flock together.

Thank you so much that is very helpful.
Do you know roughly when we’re expected to get this email?
Original post by Rannom
Thank you so much that is very helpful.
Do you know roughly when we’re expected to get this email?

After you firm.
Reply 68
Are people thinking the upcoming offer holders days are likely to be cancelled?
Original post by Jaybeuk

Sheffield’s email said nope

EDIT Literally just got the email that the 21.03 is cancelled
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Jaybeuk

my offer holder day at Sheffield for medicine has just been cancelled
anyone else firmed but can’t apply for accommodation?? when I click ‘apply now’ it takes me to an login error page :frown:
Anyone notice that there’s not a lot of accommodation options on the Sheffield accommodation booking?
Original post by medhead17
anyone else firmed but can’t apply for accommodation?? when I click ‘apply now’ it takes me to an login error page :frown:

I firmed last night but it still says on MUSE that they're waiting for me to accept my offer
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by pseudo123
I firmed last night but it still says on MUSE that they're waiting for me to accept my offer

it took a day or 2 for MUSE to recognise i’d firmed and then accommodation became available to view so don’t worry!! :smile:

Original post by joyyoboyyo
Anyone notice that there’s not a lot of accommodation options on the Sheffield accommodation booking?

i was worried abt this so gave them a quick call and apparently it works on a rota system and new accommodation becomes available every few days so that it’s fair. it’s completely random so you just have to keep checking i guess
i was worried abt this so gave them a quick call and apparently it works on a rota system and new accommodation becomes available every few days so that it’s fair. it’s completely random so you just have to keep checking i guess

Ah okay, tysm, I was worried that most of the accommodation were all gone
it took a day or 2 for MUSE to recognise i’d firmed and then accommodation became available to view so don’t worry!! :smile:

Last year the available rooms came out slowly because student accommodation was not sure if existing students are retaining their rooms However, it will be very different this year . All face to face lectures are cancelled for the foreseeable future and teaching is online, all clinicals and GP placements cancelled. Most people will work from home and lots of buildings and services shut down at university. Don’t expect previous years to be good guide. So be patient as there is a lot of accommodation.

Lots of Phase 1 and 2 Med Students have moved home. This is not an extended Easter Break as students are permanently moving out of student accommodation as university has agreed to refund accommodation fees for term 3 if students move out before 11 March.

The Medical School has not clarified to students if there are going to be year end assessments and the form it will take. Some suspect they are trying to figure out what is the best way forward with priority given to those graduating this year.

Stay cool as things will not be normal this year. .
Reply 77
Hi, for those who attended offer holder days, do you know if we have to move for clinical years 3-5 to another accommodation if we are placed outside Sheffield? Or, are all clinical placements within the Sheffield area? Guess, I am comparing this to Manchester where you may be placed in years 3-5 outside of the main Manchester area and may need to move.

Also, does Sheffield's course have a research component every year (not intercalation) and do any current students have feedback on how research-focused this is?
Thanks in advance.
Reply 78
Original post by MedOne
Hi, for those who attended offer holder days, do you know if we have to move for clinical years 3-5 to another accommodation if we are placed outside Sheffield? Or, are all clinical placements within the Sheffield area? Guess, I am comparing this to Manchester where you may be placed in years 3-5 outside of the main Manchester area and may need to move.

Also, does Sheffield's course have a research component every year (not intercalation) and do any current students have feedback on how research-focused this is?
Thanks in advance.

Hi, during the clinical years placements can be all over the South Yorkshire and a few are even further out, but I think the majority are placed in the Sheffield and nearby areas and they get you accomodation if you are sent really far out. Not too sure about the research, does it say anything on the course structure on the website?
Reply 79
Hi everyone!
Is anyone else having problems applying for accommodation?
Every time I press on apply now it gives me an error and login has failed?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending