The Student Room Group

how to get a 9 in the three sciences (GCSEs)

hey everyone, i've been struggling an awful lot the last few days.

i'm taking all three sciences, (chem, bio, physics) and am working at a fluctuating 5/6. I'm aiming for a grade 8/9 come results day .

my first question is- is this actually possible? ( don't get me wrong- of course it is, what I mean is is this too ambitious and will require a ridiculous amount of work?)

secondly, i'm stuck.
completely.

currently i'm using these ones for each of the sciences:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-GCSE-Biology-Student-Book/dp/0198359373/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1536614542&sr=8-2&keywords=aqa+science

but i've also purchased the following:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Grade-GCSE-Combined-Science/dp/1782945598/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1536614578&sr=1-1&keywords=aqa+science

https://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Grade-GCSE-Combined-Science/dp/1782944850/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1536614578&sr=1-6&keywords=aqa+science

https://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Grade-GCSE-Combined-Science/dp/1782948473/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1536614605&sr=1-4&keywords=aqa+science+higher+9-1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/GCSE-Combined-Science-AQA-Grade-8-9-Targeted-Exam-Practice-Workbook-Includes-CGP/6023315479

as you can see, i've got pretty much everything that can enable me to get an 8-9.
the question is, i'm completely stuck.
as soon as I open a chemistry book i feel down, because i just can't understand it.

as soon as i try to answer a question from the 8-9 targeted book i stop and it all becomes a jumble- nothing makes sense.

does anyone have any tips or links to threads on how to get a 9 in the sciences.

i've tried everything- i just can't do it. nothing. and i need a 8/9
- that's around 70%.

thanks guys :-)

Scroll to see replies

Hi,
As far as I know to improve grades is to probably choose a different type of revision method.
Buying the revisin books and reading them won’t reallly help.
It depends on what you type of questions do you get stuck on?
If its to do with equations you can make flash cards and stick them around your room and memorise them. If it the specific words flash cards are handy too.
YouTube videos can also help, they can explain it in detail or give a quick recap on it.
Don’t force your self to learn everything, take it slowly. Your brain cant cramp everything. So do 1 topic a day or 2. While reading highlight the definitions of certain words and phrases that seem important. CGP books normally highlight important stuff. Then after reading make a flow Chart, without looking at your book at first see how much you remember than go back through the book and fill out the spaces. Slowly you will remember and understand things quickly. Also once you’ve read it try and see if you still remember it after 24 hours. Past papers also help. The questions that you don’t get understand how they are answers and then answer it on your own the next day without the answers in-front of you of course 😆
Idk if this will help but it has helped me 😁
Original post by s.m999
hey everyone, i've been struggling an awful lot the last few days.

i'm taking all three sciences, (chem, bio, physics) and am working at a fluctuating 5/6. I'm aiming for a grade 8/9 come results day .

my first question is- is this actually possible? ( don't get me wrong- of course it is, what I mean is is this too ambitious and will require a ridiculous amount of work?)

secondly, i'm stuck.
completely.

currently i'm using these ones for each of the sciences:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-GCSE-Biology-Student-Book/dp/0198359373/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1536614542&sr=8-2&keywords=aqa+science

but i've also purchased the following:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Grade-GCSE-Combined-Science/dp/1782945598/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1536614578&sr=1-1&keywords=aqa+science

https://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Grade-GCSE-Combined-Science/dp/1782944850/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1536614578&sr=1-6&keywords=aqa+science

https://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Grade-GCSE-Combined-Science/dp/1782948473/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1536614605&sr=1-4&keywords=aqa+science+higher+9-1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/GCSE-Combined-Science-AQA-Grade-8-9-Targeted-Exam-Practice-Workbook-Includes-CGP/6023315479

as you can see, i've got pretty much everything that can enable me to get an 8-9.
the question is, i'm completely stuck.
as soon as I open a chemistry book i feel down, because i just can't understand it.

as soon as i try to answer a question from the 8-9 targeted book i stop and it all becomes a jumble- nothing makes sense.

does anyone have any tips or links to threads on how to get a 9 in the sciences.

i've tried everything- i just can't do it. nothing. and i need a 8/9
- that's around 70%.

thanks guys :-)

i got 9s for sciences (albeit low ones :tongue:).

The main thing to remember is that a lot is memory based, but also application (papers etc), especially in physics.
Make flashcards/mindmaps anything that helps you remember, and possibly for each science have a folder, and a pocket for each chapter.

Also, get a tutor for each or the one you need most help in.

If you need help, on questions etc, PM me :smile:
I need help too with the three science revision help me too please anyone and good luck 😉 to u
Try AnkiApp it is helpful
I also need help too (>_< ) my working grade is also a 5/6 and I too would like to achieve a Grade 9.
Original post by Ferrari101
Hi,
As far as I know to improve grades is to probably choose a different type of revision method.
Buying the revisin books and reading them won’t reallly help.
It depends on what you type of questions do you get stuck on?
If its to do with equations you can make flash cards and stick them around your room and memorise them. If it the specific words flash cards are handy too.
YouTube videos can also help, they can explain it in detail or give a quick recap on it.
Don’t force your self to learn everything, take it slowly. Your brain cant cramp everything. So do 1 topic a day or 2. While reading highlight the definitions of certain words and phrases that seem important. CGP books normally highlight important stuff. Then after reading make a flow Chart, without looking at your book at first see how much you remember than go back through the book and fill out the spaces. Slowly you will remember and understand things quickly. Also once you’ve read it try and see if you still remember it after 24 hours. Past papers also help. The questions that you don’t get understand how they are answers and then answer it on your own the next day without the answers in-front of you of course 😆
Idk if this will help but it has helped me 😁

Original post by Hiro2468
I also need help too (>_< ) my working grade is also a 5/6 and I too would like to achieve a Grade 9.

Original post by future-doctor &lt
I need help too with the three science revision help me too please anyone and good luck 😉 to u

You can check out my post, the first post I quoted on this . I gave some tips on how i sometimes revise for science which might be helpful
Use Bozeman Science on the subject you are stuck on and he will explain it
It sounds like you are really stuck. If you're too busy just trying to understand what's going on, you can't memorise the content effectively! My advice is - ask your teachers! When you come across a topic you can't make head or tail of, bring it up in your next lesson, or email them/catch them around and ask if there are any study sessions you can go to. I received 9, 9, 9 in my sciences with no use of uncredited sources such as YouTube videos or unofficial study guides. My teachers were key in this by explaining what I didn't understand to me. After all, it is their job!
Could you tag me pls I am in yr eleven three sciences Aqa
how would you guys help with exam technique?
Original post by clouddbubbles
how would you guys help with exam technique?

I do a lot of past paper questions, they always ask one type of questions in different ways so if you understand them you’ll get used to how they ask the questions and when checking it through the questions I wasn’t able to do I would look the mark scheme to see how to answer than I would try to answer it on my own after 24 hours to see if I understood how to answer the question and what what the questions says.
The website save my exams quite literally saved all my science exams, helped me get 8s in all of them (triple science, fyi was predicted a 5 in bio), do all of the questions when you finish a topic and highlight/underline the key words from each answer which gets you the mark. Honestly GCSE science is just memorisation and exam technique so don't bother making elaborate notes, just do as many past papers as possible and check with the mark scheme. Would also recommend physics & maths tutor for similar past paper questions sorted by topic. Good luck everyone
My grandson was tutored in chemistry for his GCSE exams and also biology but he didnt do as well as he was told he would do. I also found out after all this that the tutor wasn’t giving him any work to do at home, so my uestion is how a on earth could he have known how much was being absorbed by my grandson. I know when I had his mum tutored she was always set work to do for the tutor next time she came
Yes it’s definately possible, I got 9s in the sciences this year ( but just scraped them😝) by learning all the content in the CGP revision guides and doing the practice papers that are available( admittedly there aren’t many). Timing is also vital and only by doing exam practice can you do this. Best of luck 🙂
I got three 9s and for chemistry and physics it was solely down to lots and lots of questions. Physicsandmaths tutor has loads and it’s important to remember that for a 9 you need to be able to answer easy questions as well as hard ones, so make sure to know how to do the basics and not just difficult stuff. As for biology, I’d say just pure memorising is key. And remembering to write down absolutely everything you know (some people might disagreed but this is what I did), as you don’t know what the mark will be for.

Good luck:smile:
Original post by Sheperd23
i got 9s for sciences (albeit low ones :tongue:).

The main thing to remember is that a lot is memory based, but also application (papers etc), especially in physics.
Make flashcards/mindmaps anything that helps you remember, and possibly for each science have a folder, and a pocket for each chapter.

Also, get a tutor for each or the one you need most help in.

If you need help, on questions etc, PM me :smile:

Hi i was wondering whether you have any tips on how to get a 9 in biology because ive practically learned the revision guide but im always like a few marks off a 9! What is the best tip you would give for someone who wants to get a 9?
Practice more synoptic and application question from diff books
I got 9s using the CGP guides and then the specimen paper and stuff.
Original post by Laboromniavincit
Practice more synoptic and application question from diff books

oki thanks

Latest