The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm a grad and I'll be renting privately with my partner
Reply 21
Original post by Marni_
which halls are you guys looking at?

It depends what they offer in place of Floyer, but I don’t mind the look of Dawson so I’m not sure atm. Are you also applying for halls? And have you received anything about how to apply yet??
Reply 22
Original post by Marni_
which halls are you guys looking at?

As a med you only get the choice of Floyer house or Dawson, Whitechapel and Farringdon/Barbican areas respectively. You grade the choices from 1 to 8 in terms of room sizes etc ... I went for Dawson as you're in zone 1 with lots going on around you, it seems the rooms are a bit bigger and I like my world being larger than just the main hospital area. I've got friends all over London so the central location is great for transport around.

Us grads also get pumped together in the halls as 'mature students' 🤣🤣
Original post by ChadC12
It depends what they offer in place of Floyer, but I don’t mind the look of Dawson so I’m not sure atm. Are you also applying for halls? And have you received anything about how to apply yet??

Is Floyer closing? No I haven't had any info yet, just trying to decide between uni's so comparing living costs at the moment!
Original post by russelo
As a med you only get the choice of Floyer house or Dawson, Whitechapel and Farringdon/Barbican areas respectively. You grade the choices from 1 to 8 in terms of room sizes etc ... I went for Dawson as you're in zone 1 with lots going on around you, it seems the rooms are a bit bigger and I like my world being larger than just the main hospital area. I've got friends all over London so the central location is great for transport around.

Us grads also get pumped together in the halls as 'mature students' 🤣🤣

Have you already applied?!
Honestly I'm quite pleased about being labelled a mature student haha, I don't know if I could cope with freshers again
Original post by Ellios
I'm a grad and I'll be renting privately with my partner

What area are you looking to rent in, if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 26
Original post by Marni_
Is Floyer closing? No I haven't had any info yet, just trying to decide between uni's so comparing living costs at the moment!

Yeah they’re doing refurbishments or something so they’re working out where else to use

Original post by Marni_
Have you already applied?!
Honestly I'm quite pleased about being labelled a mature student haha, I don't know if I could cope with freshers again

I’m 22 and will be coming straight from my 1st degree so I wanna be fully involved with freshers and football and that again 😂
Original post by ChadC12
I’m 22 and will be coming straight from my 1st degree so I wanna be fully involved with freshers and football and that again 😂

Haha, I'm only 23 and will probably participate in Freshers week, but once the work starts I just dont know where we'll find the time
has anyone got an email to go to the offer holder days? do we have to book if we want to go?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Lolli Jeon
has anyone got an email to go to the offer holder days? do we have to book if we want to go?

Ooh do you have an email? What's the date?
Original post by doingmedformoney
I’m on a gap year too. You prefer Barts over UCL?

well I know it might be a surprising choice but firstly I’m not a fan of the compulsory iBsc at UCL, and actually appreciate how you can take the iMsc at Barts (and even apply elsewhere depending on how good you are), and Barts has a higher student satisfaction - it is higher up in the league table as well for what it’s worth and my major turn off point was that most of the students seem to be holding drinking parties throughout the night (literally everyday) due to the availability of pubs, which I just can’t stomach especially as a teetotaller - this you may say is not factually accurate but I have visited it multiple times (my friend studies there) and that has always seemed to be the case for me, so having visited both, I did find I preferred Barts, and the general environment more!
(edited 4 years ago)
Is anyone else a non-Londoner? I've got an offer for grad entry but I'm a bit scared about the cost of living in London😭
Reply 32
Original post by Marni_
What area are you looking to rent in, if you don't mind me asking?

I've actually had a change of plan now, and have applied to the twin rooms in Floyer as these are appropriate for couples even if only one is a student at QMUL, which fits my situation perfectly.

However people seem to be saying that Floyer isn't available, even though I've already applied to it successfully so who knows?
Original post by Marni_
Ooh do you have an email? What's the date?

no i didn’t haha i called up and they just told me the offer holder days are 1st-2nd April but idk if we have to book
also is anyone else a school leaver? bc i feel like the only school leaver with an offer rn lmao
Reply 35
Original post by ChadC12
Yeah they’re doing refurbishments or something so they’re working out where else to use

Where did you hear that they're doing refurbishments?
Original post by Lolli Jeon
also is anyone else a school leaver? bc i feel like the only school leaver with an offer rn lmao

don't worry - you're not alone!
Reply 37
qmul accom.PNG

Floyer is in fact available for student accommodation, I've just had confirmation from the residences team :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by Ellios
qmul accom.PNG

Floyer is in fact available for student accommodation, I've just had confirmation from the residences team :smile:

Thanks for clarifying!
Reply 39
Original post by Ellios
I've actually had a change of plan now, and have applied to the twin rooms in Floyer as these are appropriate for couples even if only one is a student at QMUL, which fits my situation perfectly.

However people seem to be saying that Floyer isn't available, even though I've already applied to it successfully so who knows?

How have u applied for accomadation? Did you just firm Barts or do you have to have achieve grades first? Thanks

Latest