The Student Room Group

Civil Service Direct Appointment Scheme 2020

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I doubt offers will roll in from 9.5. Last year the lowest recorded acceptance was at 8.69 and 9.5 was around the cutoff for HEO roles. I did a quick scan through the fsac scores comparing last year pass grades with this year and (not considering weighting by fast stream places offered) the average difference per stream from last year is +0.28 with the biggest positive difference being commercial at +1.02 and the lowest difference being science and engineering whose pass grade lowered at -.35.

Let’s see, we don’t have much - or any - information on the process or the number of positions offered this year. However I don’t see why they would substantially lower the number of positions, it’s not like the process of brexit won’t bring new challenges in and after transition.

Anyway here’s to hoping guys. Hope dies last :smile:
Reply 41
A score of 9.80, is that a safe HEO score? considering the fact that people have been scoring higher this time around
Reply 42
Original post by OGFairy
A score of 9.80, is that a safe HEO score? considering the fact that people have been scoring higher this time around

I mean it’s hard to know this year. Last year I’d say yes, this year it might be in just on the limit.
Original post by 3096
Last year 9.5 was right in between getting offered HEO and EO. This year FSAC scores across most schemes seem higher which would suggest HEO roles will be given at higher scores so, in theory, 9.5 scores would be offered EO. However they are doing some bits differently this year so no garuantee they haven't changed the rules on who gets EO, HEO or misses out.
It's also of note that most of the DAS previously went to brexit based roles, so they might recruit significnatly less through DAS this year then previous.
My score was 9.58 so in the same boat! Fingers crossed we here next week.

I think that could be a bit of a worry. There may not actually be that many roles.

The CS took on a lot of people to work on Brexit and now that we are on the next stage there aren’t as many folk required for this now. The majority of folk working on Brexit have been moved on. Today’s newspapers said many were moved to HMRC.

We also have a Conservative government who are by nature conservative and small government. Before he stepped down, Sajid Javid advised most departments had to find savings of 5%. This cost-cutting will invariably lead to job losses or less hiring and workers being expected to pick up extra work without increased pay - like many industries.

There is a new Chancellor however and who knows, maybe he’ll not be as stringent.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 44
also really hoping to hear from DAS as i found out today i failed my PD FSB. got 10.15 at the assessment centre so hopefully that puts me in with a chance of getting an offer either EO or HEO?
Reply 45
Original post by Maxisea
also really hoping to hear from DAS as i found out today i failed my PD FSB. got 10.15 at the assessment centre so hopefully that puts me in with a chance of getting an offer either EO or HEO?

Sorry to hear that! Did they say anything about DAS when they told you?
Reply 46
Original post by 3096
Sorry to hear that! Did they say anything about DAS when they told you?

i've only had my portal updated, not got an email or anything yet so i dont know
Reply 47
Original post by KaiChR
I mean it’s hard to know this year. Last year I’d say yes, this year it might be in just on the limit.

Yeah I agree, it could potentially be the HEO cut off score. According to this years FSAC table, the lowest Fast Stream passes are 9.80 (project delivery) and 9.86 (social research)...so we'll just have to wait and see I guess
Reply 48
Got the rejection email for Comms FSB today replying for updates, got a FSAC score of 11.1 so who knows 🤞🏻
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 49
Original post by El_24
Got the rejection email for Comma FSB today replying for updates, got a FSAC score of 11.1 so who knows 🤞🏻

You're deffo in the clear imo
Original post by KaiChR
Hi everyone,

since the final pass marks for FSAC have been set and FSBs are well underway, the first DAS expression of interest e-mails should be coming out soon. I have added info from last year's thread as compiled by @Aox. As the e-mails come rolling in let's update on this thread and maybe we'll get a good idea of the acceptance cut-off scores as well as between EO and HEO offers.

Keeping in mind that our batch seems to have scored higher than previous years, here is some info from last year:

You might be contacted about the DAS if you either failed the FSAC with a high score, (>8), or if you passed the FSAC but failed the FSB again with a high score. You don’t need to have scored >2 in all the competencies tested in the FSAC to be eligible for DAS

General information on the scheme:

The first emails were sent out at the end of February, with some being as late as April.

The email contains an Expression of Interest (EoI) and lets you know that there could be interest in hiring you through the DAS. You fill out the form with a preference of your location and start date.

At this stage, your email will indicate whether it's an EO or HEO position you're being considered for. There will be an FAQ attached to the email. Whether you're offered an EO or HEO role seems to depend on your FSAC score. Some with scores between 9-10 were offered HEO roles. I'm not sure what the cutoff score was, it could depend on the department or scheme you applied for.

There can be a wait up to 3-4 months to hear back once you've returned your EoI. Some people heard back within a month.

Responses come back department by department, BEIS was the first last year, followed by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO), DEFRA, DExEU, Home Office, MoD. (I may have missed one or two, they are not in order of responses other than BEIS being first)

You are contacted to let you know one or more of these departments are interested in you. It can take a month or so to be contacted by the department directly.

Once contacted, you arrange an informal phone call to discuss your role and suitability. It seems this is a friendly call with no prior preparation required.

Once offered a role, you go through the standard pre-employment checks. This can take 6-8 weeks. For some roles such as MoD, you may require a DV security check with can take 3-6 months.

Start dates seemed to begin from June-July onwards.

EO offers generally go out a few weeks before HEO offers, as some high scorers will still be in FSB-limbo.

Last year's cut-off:

EO: 8.69 - ~9.5
HEO: ~9.5 - 12.2

I will strive to update the band for this year including department as they come rolling in. Good luck to everyone!

This is great, Can anyone tell me any tips for the informal phone call? do i actually need to know anything?
Original post by A_Iqbal786
This is great, Can anyone tell me any tips for the informal phone call? do i actually need to know anything?

Do you have one???
I'm not sure the number of DAS roles will be severely lowered; I'm pretty sure last year's was lower than the year prior's but I'm not sure that's necessarily any indication. During my summer on the SDIP a lot of the civil servants were being rotated to Brexit posts leaving a lot of vacancies. Brexit has also now officially entered the crunching stage meaning there is likely an increased demand for getting things done quicker. With that said, I've heard a lot of the Brexit positions have now been completed and those civil servants rotated into other vacancies. There was also cuts being implemented, but the conservative government was promising more spending in the last election so who knows how or whether that will materialise. It's mostly about where those cuts take place - I think they're more likely to happen at the lower-skilled/admin level rather than the upper, but I'm purely speculating. I've seen vacancies in civil service jobs hiring for multiple posts so that's why I've come to that conclusion. Maybe I'm just keeping optimistic because I finished my masters in January and I'm tired of being unemployed x_x
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by jg2012
I think that could be a bit of a worry. There may not actually be that many roles.

The CS took on a lot of people to work on Brexit and now that we are on the next stage there aren’t as many folk required for this now. The majority of folk working on Brexit have been moved on. Today’s newspapers said many were moved to HMRC.

We also have a Conservative government who are by nature conservative and small government. Before he stepped down, Sajid Javid advised most departments had to find savings of 5%. This cost-cutting will invariably lead to job losses or less hiring and workers being expected to pick up extra work without increased pay - like many industries.

There is a new Chancellor however and who knows, maybe he’ll not be as stringent.

Hopefully not boring anyone.

However to add to this point, the budget was today and it was surprisingly good for a Conservative government. There’s greater fiscal stimulus and it seems departmental budgets will rise.

That can only be a good thing for us - more money means there’s bigger departmental budgets and this allows for increased staff hiring.

I’m trying to be as positive as possible. 😂
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 54
those who did a PD FSB, how long did you have to wait to get a score or any feedback? or any email?
Original post by jg2012
Hopefully not boring anyone.

However to add to this point, the budget was today and it was surprisingly good for a Conservative government. There’s greater fiscal stimulus and it seems departmental budgets will rise.

That can only be a good thing for us - more money means there’s bigger departmental budgets and this allows for increased staff hiring.

I’m trying to be as positive as possible. 😂

I was thinking the same thing!
Although I feel like the coming corona-virus measures might delay us hearing anything for a while longer...
Hey Guys, I have my FSB on Friday for Stats, I scored 11.2 at FSAC. If I fail FSB but still have the 11.2 from FSAC will this be considered? Do you have to do anything to raise interest for das or do they just contact you?

Does anyone know the range of pass scores from FSAC?

Thanksss
Original post by ihill2020
Hey Guys, I have my FSB on Friday for Stats, I scored 11.2 at FSAC. If I fail FSB but still have the 11.2 from FSAC will this be considered? Do you have to do anything to raise interest for das or do they just contact you?

Does anyone know the range of pass scores from FSAC?

Thanksss

You will be contacted with an expression of interest, with your score I would predict that you would be safely within the HEO band, last year they started coming out about 3 weeks after EO offers, and they haven't been sent out yet, so I wouldn't expect anything soon.

The pass scores for FSAC can be found somewhere within the CSFS thread, but I don't think it has come up recently, so it might be worth asking for an updated version. (If you meant scores for DAS, then no, but we're impatient, so we've been trying to make predictions based off last year)
Original post by Maxisea
those who did a PD FSB, how long did you have to wait to get a score or any feedback? or any email?

I got my email with my score and feedback on each part the next day. It also said at the bottom of the email that based on my FSB score I might be considered for any HEO roles when DAS starts, and I got 14.5 in FSB, if that helps.
Original post by lilsheffgrad
I got my email with my score and feedback on each part the next day. It also said at the bottom of the email that based on my FSB score I might be considered for any HEO roles when DAS starts, and I got 14.5 in FSB, if that helps.

Been nearly 2 weeks and a still haven’t had my FSB feedback/score

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending