The Student Room Group

Nintendo switch question?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ANM775
It came today. First impressions I was pleased because it had the old style box [the new style box does not have a hand holding the switch, the old ones do]

I then ran the serial number online in a serial checker and it said it is possible it is patched.

However i've looked at the box and it says 2017

patched switches only started coming out sometime in 2018 ..

so hopefully it should be alright.

don't know when i'm going to set it all up etc [tbh, i have enough ps4 games to keep me busy]

Nice but why has the switch have to be "un-patched" plan on doing some hacks on it?
Reply 21
Original post by 1st superstar
Nice but why has the switch have to be "un-patched" plan on doing some hacks on it?

The answer is YES. I hacked my ps1/ps2/ps3/psp ..and 3ds

Yes It needs to be unpatched in order to run the jailbreak, although I hear they've hacked some of the patched ones now ...but that requires a different method to get things working, and imo the original hack is the most favourable one.
Original post by ANM775
The answer is YES. I hacked my ps1/ps2/ps3/psp ..and 3ds

Yes It needs to be unpatched in order to run the jailbreak, although I hear they've hacked some of the patched ones now ...but that requires a different method to get things working, and imo the original hack is the most favourable one.

Damn you have a lot of gaming consoles
Reply 23
Damn you have a lot of gaming consoles

I had an Amiga too [but got rid of it]
also own a GBA, Gamecube, Tiger Gamescom, PS4, mega drive

I've always liked gaming. :smile:
Original post by ANM775
I had an Amiga too [but got rid of it]
also own a GBA, Gamecube, Tiger Gamescom, PS4, mega drive

I've always liked gaming. :smile:

DAMN you've got every PlayStation plan on getting the PS5 then? Also what about Microsoft (XBOX)? or are you just not feeling it? How do you have so much time to play so many games?!?
Reply 25
DAMN you've got every PlayStation plan on getting the PS5 then? Also what about Microsoft (XBOX)? or are you just not feeling it? How do you have so much time to play so many games?!?

Of Course i'll get the PS5, i Normally get them a few years after launch after the price has gone down a bit. In 2017 I got a brand new ps4 on special offer [500gb] for £199.99. It came with fifa 18. I immediately sold it and got £35 ...so in essence the PS4 actually cost me £165.

and as for Xbox, it just seems like a poor mans playstation to me, and doesn't have enough AAA exclusives to make me want to go buy one. And the "good" exclusives it does have seem to be all First Person Shooters and I hate FPS.

Actually I don't play games that much anymore compared to when I was younger. I feel like I played the ps1/ps2/gameboy/psp quite a bit, ...but gamecube/ps3/ps4/3ds not very much.

Infact hacking my 3ds and ps3 has been a bit of a waste as i've really not made the most of it at all....
Original post by ANM775
Of Course i'll get the PS5, i Normally get them a few years after launch after the price has gone down a bit. In 2017 I got a brand new ps4 on special offer [500gb] for £199.99. It came with fifa 18. I immediately sold it and got £35 ...so in essence the PS4 actually cost me £165.

and as for Xbox, it just seems like a poor mans playstation to me, and doesn't have enough AAA exclusives to make me want to go buy one. And the "good" exclusives it does have seem to be all First Person Shooters and I hate FPS.

Actually I don't play games that much anymore compared to when I was younger. I feel like I played the ps1/ps2/gameboy/psp quite a bit, ...but gamecube/ps3/ps4/3ds not very much.

Infact hacking my 3ds and ps3 has been a bit of a waste as i've really not made the most of it at all....

Sony and Nintendo superfan I see?
Original post by StriderHort
Honestly seems a rip to me, not being able to play on the TV would rob me of a lot of use. I love Nintendo's inhouse GFX engine and it deserves to shine.....but they sure are right greedy so and sos.

By releasing a cheaper alternative for people who just want handheld?...
Original post by ANM775
if anyone else is interested in buying one, here is the one you need to get.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B01MFADJFV/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all

unfortunately you're looking at a £399 price tag atm if you want a new one [i don't recommend you get a used one as it's probably been patched via firmware updates]

still though, another seller might get hold of a new one and put it up for sale like what happened with mine.

Don't get this one, this is the one with the poorer battery life. If it has a hand on the box that's the original. If it's pure red then it's the improved battery version.
Reply 29
Sony and Nintendo superfan I see?

Sony is my main console

i've always bought nintendo for casual gaming [if i could afford it].

I always buy Sony first.......
Reply 30
Original post by NotNotBatman
Don't get this one, this is the one with the poorer battery life. If it has a hand on the box that's the original. If it's pure red then it's the improved battery version.

I don't think you're understanding why I wanted that console. :smile:

I couldn't care less if the new one has a couple of extra hours battery life, I bought this one because there is a good chance it is unpatched, meaning I can run the jailbreak and have access to free games.

why do you think I was willing to pay £50 more for this old version at £329.99?, when newer versions are selling for £280
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by ozzyoscy
By releasing a cheaper alternative for people who just want handheld?...

What are you objecting to? Me saying i'm not interested in a portable only Switch, or that Nintendo really like money?

Considering the age of the platform I don't personally feel the lite represents particularly good value, and when it comes to games and accessories the Switch, and the Wii before it have both friggin extortionate. Pretty sure until recently crap like Skyrim was still sitting at £60 odd, when it's like £15 on any other platform ect.
Reply 32
Pretty sure until recently crap like Skyrim was still sitting at £60 odd, when it's like £15 on any other platform ect.

that's the bad thing about the switch. the games never seem to come down in price. yrs later a lot of the big titles are still selling at around the £40 mark
Original post by ANM775

I couldn't care less if the new one has a couple of extra hours battery life, I bought this one because there is a good chance it is unpatched, meaning I can run the jailbreak and have access to free games.

why do you think I was willing to pay £50 more for this old version at £329.99?, when never versions are selling for £280

yeah I must admit, I didn't bother reading any of the posts, sorry.
What are you objecting to? Me saying i'm not interested in a portable only Switch, or that Nintendo really like money?

Considering the age of the platform I don't personally feel the lite represents particularly good value, and when it comes to games and accessories the Switch, and the Wii before it have both friggin extortionate. Pretty sure until recently crap like Skyrim was still sitting at £60 odd, when it's like £15 on any other platform ect.

So Nintendo are ripping people off by greedily releasing a cheaper handheld alternative because you specifically aren't interested in a handheld.
Reply 35

I've been doing some more research and it seems like the vulnerability is hardware based not firmware based, meaning ANY switch bought before july 2018 should be able to use the jailbreak, even if you updated your firmware.

meaning most people here with switches could probably do it if they went and researched how
Original post by ozzyoscy
So Nintendo are ripping people off by greedily releasing a cheaper handheld alternative because you specifically aren't interested in a handheld.

"Honestly seems a rip to me, not being able to play on the TV would rob me of a lot of use"

Kind of obvious i'm talking about myself? And yes, Nintendo love $$$, no shock there?
"Honestly seems a rip to me, not being able to play on the TV would rob me of a lot of use"

Kind of obvious i'm talking about myself? And yes, Nintendo love $$$, no shock there?

I didn't say you weren't talking about you. As you said, it's obvious. I thought that would be, well, obvious!

I asked you to clarify and repeat for clarity that you're actually saying Nintendo are "ripping" people because they're offering a cheaper alternative that you're not interested in. Can you explain this logic? It's the logic that's the... interesting part.
Original post by ANM775

why do you think I was willing to pay £50 more for this old version at £329.99?, when newer versions are selling for £280

Surely your not allowed to do that right?
Reply 39
Surely your not allowed to do that right?

I've been doing that with all the consoles i've hacked :wink:

If all you're doing is downloading and playing games realistically you're not going to get prosecuted for it.
Obviously nintendo doesn't like it. but meh, they're not gonna like it ..are they.

Quick Reply

Latest