The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 1st superstar
Probably just walk into your GP and tell them your symptoms? IDK TBH

You are supposed to call 111 if you think you have it. They specifically don't want people turning up at GP practises or hospitals. Tests are administered to people at home initially.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Good advice.

Things to do to boost immunity:

- avoid alcohol and drugs, including of course, nicotine
- eat healthily, avoid processed foods such as prepacked meals
- eat fruit and veg as Wired says above
- try eating honey, it is nature's antiseptic and antiinflammatory
- exercize
- avoid polluted areas where possible
- go to bed at reasonable times, sleep 8 hours if possible
- watch funny programmes or movies, or sad ones - laughter and tears are great at purging those toxins

Go well everyone!

I agree. We have to be healthy to fight the virus.
Original post by Wired_1800
I think you should also consume sufficient vitamin C through citrus fruits. You should ensure that your immune system is strong by consuming enough fruits and veg. All the best.

Vitamin D is good too. This time of the year most people are deficient, and:

"Recent research suggested that vitamin D also has a potential role in the prevention of ARI by increasing immunity. In some observational studies, it was observed that low vitamin D level in blood is associated with the increased incidence of respiratory tract infections."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3543548/
Original post by jenhasdreams
My wedding is in a month and I feel like it's going to end up being cancelled :frown: and if not, a lot of guests won't be able to come. I know it's not the worst thing to happen but still sucks.

Oh how sad! My teacher's wedding is soon as well and she's worried about it being cancelled. Stay on the bright side for now :smile:
Original post by jenhasdreams
My wedding is in a month and I feel like it's going to end up being cancelled :frown: and if not, a lot of guests won't be able to come. I know it's not the worst thing to happen but still sucks.

Hope it goes well for you.
Reply 585
Original post by SnowMiku
Having to put up a sign that said no, we don't eat cats, after what I presume would've been days of hate is just... not something I'd hoped with happen.
Let's all try and stick together, we're all in the same boat on the ocean of Covid-19, for goodness' sake.

yes ok, I like Chinese and other oriental people I suppose I just make jokes about anyone and everyone, including the English
Original post by MeghanMarkle1992
Are you serious? That's the last thing they advise you to do.

I meant call the GP
You are supposed to call 111 if you think you have it. They specifically don't want people turning up at GP practises or hospitals. Tests are administered to people at home initially.

Yes that's what I meant sorry for the bad wording
I meant call the GP

When I spoke to the receptionist she became hysterical just because I recently travelled even though it wasn't to one of the countries at risk. Hung up the phone on me and told me to call 111 lol.
When I spoke to the receptionist she became hysterical just because I recently travelled even though it wasn't to one of the countries at risk. Hung up the phone on me and told me to call 111 lol.

Oh dear well that sums up NHS Doctors... (sorry if this comment is gonna annoy people)
Good advice.

Things to do to boost immunity:

- avoid alcohol and drugs, including of course, nicotine
- eat healthily, avoid processed foods such as prepacked meals
- eat fruit and veg as Wired says above
- try eating honey, it is nature's antiseptic and antiinflammatory
- exercize
- avoid polluted areas where possible
- go to bed at reasonable times, sleep 8 hours if possible
- watch funny programmes or movies, or sad ones - laughter and tears are great at purging those toxins

Go well everyone!

Some of these things are good ideas, though none of them will make you immune to coronavirus. And honey is full of sugar.
Oh dear well that sums up NHS Doctors... (sorry if this comment is gonna annoy people)

Later they tried to deny it, saying the line was cut off. No apology or nothing. That's receptionists for you I guess.
Later they tried to deny it, saying the line was cut off. No apology or nothing. That's receptionists for you I guess.

That's ridiculous of them do these people even have qualifications or know how to remain calm? (Sounds insulting I know)
That's ridiculous of them do these people even have qualifications or know how to remain calm? (Sounds insulting I know)

Doubtful. They're just asking everyone who calls if they've travelled abroad recently, regardless of where they've come from, and they say that that's the protocol. All I know is, I was nearly denied an appointment for something completely unrelated, thanks to coronavirus hysteria. I had to speak to 111 who said it was fine for me to go in. In a way I'm glad they're taking it so seriously but for me it just made my day 100 times more stressful than it had to be.
(edited 4 years ago)

GP receptionists are often fairly clueless about medical procedures imhe.

111 are unfortunately also a bit under-informed at present, they've apparently been telling people coming back from Italy that they don't need to self-isolate. This has now been corrected we are told.

Not NHS Doctors but random workers as receptionists. Some are decent and the rest are horrible without proper training. Don't blame the actual health professionals.
British Airways have suddenly stopped all flights to Italy. Ryanair and Alitalia are continuing.

This leaves thousands of Brits stranded in Italy.
Over 10,000 cases in Italy now and 630 deaths. The death rate seems to be quite high in Italy; I wonder if a new more aggressive strain has evolved in Italy that kills people faster? I calculated the death rate to be 6.21%.
British Airways have suddenly stopped all flights to Italy. Ryanair and Alitalia are continuing.

This leaves thousands of Brits stranded in Italy.

Well it’s their own fault, they decided to go despite the worldwide risk.
Original post by mofradarshia15
Well it’s their own fault, they decided to go despite the worldwide risk.

Some of them may have already been there before it all blew up and also there was no official advice not to go.

Latest

Trending

Trending