The Student Room Group

Corona Virus

So the corona virus has inevitably spread, and I know our exams may be affected as some schools may have to shut for 2 months. What do you think will happen? Would we get predicted grades or would exams be moved to a later date? I know it is unlikely to happen, but definitely not impossible! a teacher at school around a mile from me has a confirmed case lmao

Also, how likely do you think it would be for it to actually affect our exams?
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

where do you live
Original post by TheSuckUpStudent
So the corona virus has inevitably spread, and I know our exams may be affected as some schools may have to shut for 2 months. What do you think will happen? Would we get predicted grades or would exams be moved to a later date? I know it is unlikely to happen, but definitely not impossible! a teacher at school around a mile from me has a confirmed case lmao

I think schools shut for about a week for deep cleans, I dont think 2 months.
Original post by coronavirus1
where do you live

South London! A case was found in Wimbledon, and I get the bus with the pupils from the school the teacher worked at. He didn’t come into contact with any students however- only the teachers and so the school is only shut for a week.
Original post by FurtherMaths2020

Yeah that’s what’s happening at the moment. It’s only if it becomes a pandemic that it would be two months so hopefully that won’t happen!

https://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/cars/news/18271889.schools-uk-shut-2-months-coronavirus-becomes-pandemic/
Original post by FurtherMaths2020

But it's not just (or even primarily) for the deep clean - it's to prevent significant concentrations of people for several hours on end in quite confined quarters

I doubt they'd push back the exams as lots of people have plans for the summer and it would dig into those summers, like thousands of pounds fo some holidays. Also A-levels would be staggered. So it would likely be Pre-lim grades. Rumours of +1 to grade as well.
Original post by EthanolC2_H5_OH
I doubt they'd push back the exams as lots of people have plans for the summer and it would dig into those summers, like thousands of pounds fo some holidays. Also A-levels would be staggered. So it would likely be Pre-lim grades. Rumours of +1 to grade as well.

I would be very happy if this happened hahaha!
Reply 8

if i got my predicted grades that'd be great
especially if it was +1
Original post by tasia13
if i got my predicted grades that'd be great
especially if it was +1

Same! I can see how it may be disappointing for others though ahhh
Same! I can see how it may be disappointing for others though ahhh

yeah, and it wouldn't be a good thing if the corona virus situation escalated to that extent

There has been talk that we would get our predicted grades (these are not your mock grades). Considering they might cancel the olympics and it takes 6 months to be completely cleared of the virus it is likely that they will be affected. However people who are unaffected by the virus may come into school, but keep checking the news because latest information will come up there. There are in the process of organizing some contingency days for an emergency.

Well a school near me has shut for a week while public health England carry out a deep clean on the building.
Original post by Greywolftwo
Well a school near me has shut for a week while public health England carry out a deep clean on the building.

same with me!
same with me!

Well then, we might be in the same general area
It will become a pandemic coz this virus spreads asymptomatic and is well easy to get, i reckon they might delay when A levels are sat, the virus apparently remains on surfaces for days, everyone reading this go buy antibacterial gel before they sell out
I don't understand how hey'd postpone exams. If we sat them in august, surely we wouldn't get the results until October? This would affect everyone going to college/ sixth form as they'd be 2 months behind on content, not to mention those who are supposed to be going to uni! Ahhhhh

yeah. im in Africa. doing my A-levels this may-june, if you get any information please share, its very difficult to get any news on A-level / IGCSE exams. Do hope u are right about predicted grades. is it a realistic assumption tho?
Original post by TristanBearz
yeah. im in Africa. doing my A-levels this may-june, if you get any information please share, its very difficult to get any news on A-level / IGCSE exams. Do hope u are right about predicted grades. is it a realistic assumption tho?

Well yes I feel it is a realistic assumption, as many people obviously are not going to be satisfied with GCSEs and A-Levels being pushed back. Especially not universities for A-Level students. I'll keep you up to date hopefully
Reply 19
More likely predicted -1 than +1 to account for all the schools who bump up predictions to get prestigious uni offers!

Quick Reply

Latest