The Student Room Group

Anyone here still prefer physical media compared to streaming?

By physical media, I am referring to Vinyl, CD's, Cassettes, minidisc, etc.

I personally prefer physical media over streaming services due to offline convenience and also somewhat the gratification of building a collection.

I still obviously use digital media for music as well (example FLAC lossless files) when using my main setup or with my Sony WM1A Walkman but I don't know, more gratifying using physical media.
Yes.
I prefer vhs, dvds, cds and tapes.
Only use usb and online storage for youtube downloads or pdfs.
Original post by londonmyst
Yes.

Agree with all of them apart from VHS hah. When looking back VHS looks terrible apart from D-VHS which is a hell of a lot better than even LaserDisc and possibly gives DVD's a run for their money. Betamax was arguably better than VHS at the time as well (VHS won the format war due to being a hell of a lot cheaper then Betamax).
I like streaming bc none of the music I like can be found as physical copies lol, there isn't even CDs
We still have many hundreds of vinyl albums and thousands of CDs. The high fi is linked in the the Sonos system so you can put an album on downstairs and listen to it in another part of the house.
I prefer cd's, DVD's etc
i stream way more than listening to my cds; i buy them mostly so i can put them in the car when i'm with my dad to listen to. i do like the collection i've built up though and i plan on continuing to build on it.
I have about 50 records and around 200 CDs. If I had more money, I would own significantly more of both. I have a few tapes, too, but I struggle to justify buying them without a tape deck. I do intend to get a tape deck though as new tapes are about half the cost of new CDs. I don't have a Spotify account, but I do like using youtube to discover new music and listen to things I've not bought yet.
Original post by Manitude
I have about 50 records and around 200 CDs. If I had more money, I would own significantly more of both. I have a few tapes, too, but I struggle to justify buying them without a tape deck. I do intend to get a tape deck though as new tapes are about half the cost of new CDs. I don't have a Spotify account, but I do like using youtube to discover new music and listen to things I've not bought yet.

If you plan on getting a new cassette deck, please go used the cassette decks made these days are very low quality, 2 head decks with no Dolby noise reduction and normally only support type 1 tapes. A lot of them also even only support mono which is ridiculous.
Reply 9
I have thousands of CDs
Yes.

Who even uses usb anymore?!
Original post by Greywolftwo
Who even uses usb anymore?!

Half the authors, illustrators and lawyers over 40 I know.
Often data backup systems combine usb, extra hard drive and online storage.
I love the convenience of Spotify, particularly how I can discover new music but if I really like an artist I'll buy their albums. Same with films
Half the authors, illustrators and lawyers over 40 I know.
Often data backup systems combine usb, extra hard drive and online storage.

Fair enough
Original post by Showaddywaddy
If you plan on getting a new cassette deck, please go used the cassette decks made these days are very low quality, 2 head decks with no Dolby noise reduction and normally only support type 1 tapes. A lot of them also even only support mono which is ridiculous.

Yeah, buying used does seem to be the way forward, both for quality and price. It seems like a lot of these old ones might need a bit of work doing to them, but they will work just fine if they're cleaned properly and certain parts replaced.
Original post by Manitude
Yeah, buying used does seem to be the way forward, both for quality and price. It seems like a lot of these old ones might need a bit of work doing to them, but they will work just fine if they're cleaned properly and certain parts replaced.

if it's not direct drive 90% of the time you just need to replace the belts.
I’m 16 and this lockdown I took an interest in watching me and my brothers childhood vhs tapes. I heard they start degrading after ten years and me and my brother are 16 and 12. We used a senevo vsr and an old tv it started off good with my brothers earliest tape till we got to the 3 rd tape 2009 and it stopped working at 1 hour 16 minutes when it should go on for 5 hours more . The other older tapes worked fine they had a few lines which was expected. The fourth tape in the beginning crashes aswell. If his tapes are 11 years old kept in good condition and use quality camera records and tape recorders what went wrong? Mine are older and they have people that have passed away in them and other important memories.I doubt they would work. Do I need to clean the vhs head? I really want to convert them but with alevels and ukcat I don’t have the time. My mom said she kept the camcorders with the videos on them. This message went on for long but I hope someone comes up with a non bias solution as online websites always scare you into converting them to dvd so they can make profit. So I want a fair opinion from someone with knowledge. Please help these videos contain some important people and memories.

Quick Reply

Latest