The Student Room Group

Nintendo switch question?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ANM775
I've been doing that with all the consoles i've hacked :wink:

If all you're doing is downloading and playing games realistically you're not going to get prosecuted for it.
Obviously nintendo doesn't like it. but meh, they're not gonna like it ..are they.

lol
Original post by ozzyoscy
I didn't say you weren't talking about you. As you said, it's obvious. I thought that would be, well, obvious!

I asked you to clarify and repeat for clarity that you're actually saying Nintendo are "ripping" people because they're offering a cheaper alternative that you're not interested in. Can you explain this logic? It's the logic that's the... interesting part.

The logic of a cheaper alternative i'm not arguing, but I personally feel in terms of money/performance it's still poor value. 3 year old platform, no docking, smaller screen, no joycons, no rumble and a fair number of games that apparently don't work including most of the Marios and I suspect Botw will have issues. Both MS and Sony chuck out lite versions after short time, but I don't remember either of them crippling functions that much?

In case there's any confusion, I have a Switch and do buy stuff for it, I obv don't hate the company, but I do consider them pretty money grubbing. (I'm still smarting a bit over the £19.99 Wii steering wheel that was a plastic ring worth £1)

Had a thought while typing, dunno if you drive, but this sounds exactly like the Dacia Sandero. touted as the cheapest car on the market and it came in 3 trim levels which I will label 'Barren', 'Practical' and 'Premium' , the 'Barren' one is the one they tout the approachable price of, it's obv a bit plain, but hey? more affordable! But then you start clocking that a lot of the missing features are biggies...no climate control, no stereo, no power windows ect...you really might as well buy the middle range one... You get the feeling the affordable option has been marketed party as an affordable entry point...and as a deliberate reminder of the 'basics' you're missing out. There's probably a fancy marketing term for it.
Original post by StriderHort
The logic of a cheaper alternative i'm not arguing, but

*Raises hand*

Good.

*Puts on cowbo hat, Turns and leaves*
Original post by ANM775
if anyone else is interested in buying one, here is the one you need to get.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B01MFADJFV/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all

unfortunately you're looking at a £399 price tag atm if you want a new one [i don't recommend you get a used one as it's probably been patched via firmware updates]

still though, another seller might get hold of a new one and put it up for sale like what happened with mine.

the switch rcm exploit is nigh impossible to patch using firmware updates and hasn't been yet, just remember the serial numbers and get one from a physical store
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by Meowstic
the switch rcm exploit is nigh impossible to patch using firmware updates and hasn't been yet, just remember the serial numbers and get one from a physical store

seeing as they started patching switches in 2018 and it's now 2020, the probabilities of finding one in a store now are extremely slim. Also they usually leave on box out on display therefore you can't check the serial number of the one you want to buy.

but i think you're right though, that firmware patches can't fix the issue. I realised this after i did more research.

normally with a jailbreak on a console, it is a firmware edition which has the vulnerability and the developers can patch the issue in the next firmware update, but it seems like the vulnerability here is a hardware issue meaning they can't do that lol
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by ANM775
seeing as they started patching switches in 2018 and it's now 2020, the probabilities of finding one in a store now are extremely slim. Also they usually leave on box out on display therefore you can't check the serial number of the one you want to buy

you can ask to see something you are buying used. unless there are some places that don't let you do this for some reason but it's what i do. not going to trust them to tell me there are no scratches on the screen.

Quick Reply

Latest