The Student Room Group

Wanting to go into teaching Secondary Biology

Hello,

I have a Bsc Hons in Biomedical Sciences and want to try to get into a career in teaching Biology. I have set up experience for the year already (totaling around 5 days of experience at secondary schools in my chosen subject). Is there anything else I can do to boost my chances of being accepted on a PGCE with QTS course? Also, I already have experience from volunteering at a SEN college during my A Levels but not sure if providers will accept this as it was voluntary and not in my chosen area.

Original post by EBooth93
Hello,

I have a Bsc Hons in Biomedical Sciences and want to try to get into a career in teaching Biology. I have set up experience for the year already (totaling around 5 days of experience at secondary schools in my chosen subject). Is there anything else I can do to boost my chances of being accepted on a PGCE with QTS course? Also, I already have experience from volunteering at a SEN college during my A Levels but not sure if providers will accept this as it was voluntary and not in my chosen area.

Honestly, if you want to teach a science and come across as even vaguely competent in interview, you will get an offer. It sounds like you have a reasonable amount of experience already- however volunteering with your chosen age group (e.g. via scouts, guides or a sports club) often looks good on applications. Any more experience you can get in schools is also excellent.

But honestly, the country is so short of science teachers, people with no relevant experience at all get offers!
Hello,

Hello @EBooth93

To really make the strongest application, choose the best provider for you and deliver a knock out interview, I would recommend you register for a Teacher Training adviser. We are teachers with years of experience, but we also know the application process inside out and can help you avoid the banana skins. Please call 0800 389 2500 or register here, and ask for a TTA!

All the very best for an exciting teaching career!

Jane
Hello,

I’m a Biomed grad. I was snapped up by a Uni. If you show your passion and want to do the course they will give you an offer. I have to admit doing Biomed I did struggle with the plant side of Biology at A-Level (refuse to teach it now). So it’s worth reading up on that in the long run. You won’t be given A-Level in your PGCE or even your NQT.
Reply 4
Original post by tom_tom_tom
I’m a Biomed grad. I was snapped up by a Uni. If you show your passion and want to do the course they will give you an offer. I have to admit doing Biomed I did struggle with the plant side of Biology at A-Level (refuse to teach it now). So it’s worth reading up on that in the long run. You won’t be given A-Level in your PGCE or even your NQT.

How difficult was finding work as an NQT? Did you have to move for a job? I don't mind teaching the plant side; it's the food webs I find tedious. :smile:
How difficult was finding work as an NQT? Did you have to move for a job? I don't mind teaching the plant side; it's the food webs I find tedious. :smile:

STEM subjects there is plenty of jobs. So you will be fine. Didn’t have to move. Found a job 15 minutes away. Wish I lived further away. I see pupils everywhere at the weekend. I’m still at the same I did my NQT at.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending