The Student Room Group

Struggling to pick a firm choice?

I can;t see myself deciding any time soon, and Birmingham have already opened their accommodation places so I'm stressed. :frown: I have my insurance, so firm is between UCL, Cardiff and Birmingham.
Original post by allyysaraa
I can;t see myself deciding any time soon, and Birmingham have already opened their accommodation places so I'm stressed. :frown: I have my insurance, so firm is between UCL, Cardiff and Birmingham.

What do you consider the pros and cons for each of them?

Have you visited them all?

You haven't given us enough information about yourself to help you decide - we don't know what course you are applying for, what your preidcted grades are, what your priorities are or how you chose your Insurance uni
Reply 3
Original post by harrysbar
Have you visited them all?

You haven't given us enough information about yourself to help you decide - we don't know what course you are applying for, what your preidcted grades are, what your priorities are or how you chose your Insurance uni

Sorry- yes I have.
I liked the city of Cardiff the most, but I liked London too. Accommodation is super cheap at Cardiff at £113 a week for an ensuite, versus £198 a week for a shared bathroom at UCL. I have applied to study Pharmacy, and both unis are good for Pharmacy however I loved the uni and course at UCL more, especially considering they have optional modules too. My predicted grades are AAB, which both unis ask for. I chose my insurance as a uni close to home which has entry requirements of BBB as it was my only uni with lower grade requirements.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
What do you consider the pros and cons for each of them?

See above please, sorry!
Sorry- yes I have.
I liked the city of Cardiff the most, but I liked London too. Accommodation is super cheap at Cardiff at £113 a week for an ensuite, versus £198 a week for a shared bathroom at UCL. I have applied to study Pharmacy, and both unis are good for Pharmacy however I loved the uni and course at UCL more, especially considering they have optional modules too. My predicted grades are AAB, which both unis ask for. I chose my insurance as a uni close to home which has entry requirements of BBB as it was my only uni with lower grade requirements.

You haven't mentioned Birmingham so does that mean the choice is mainly between UCL & Cardiff?
Sorry- yes I have.

Well it sounds like you’re picking between cardiff and UCL

Can you afford accommodation (and transport) at UCL or are you setting yourself up for 4 years of struggling to pay for everything and working long hours alongside your degree?
Reply 7
Original post by harrysbar
You haven't mentioned Birmingham so does that mean the choice is mainly between UCL & Cardiff?

Yeah sorry for being so all over the place, I eliminated Birmingham as my reasoning for going there was silly and I much prefer the other two :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by PQ
Well it sounds like you’re picking between cardiff and UCL

Can you afford accommodation (and transport) at UCL or are you setting yourself up for 4 years of struggling to pay for everything and working long hours alongside your degree?

According to the student finance calculator, I'd get maximum student finance and it covers accommodation with around £3000 something left over across the 39 weeks of school in the academic year so I think so? Plus I would definitely be getting a part time job - the students I talked to there said it was manageable somewhat.
Yeah sorry for being so all over the place, I eliminated Birmingham as my reasoning for going there was silly and I much prefer the other two :smile:

So they are both good courses as I'm sure you know and it won't make much difference career- wise. It mainly boils down to where you would prefer to be living for the next few years - London or Cardiff. London unis don't tend to score very highly in student satisfaction surveys but I think people have a better time if they can afford to live close to the uni and can afford the higher prices in London.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending