The Student Room Group

US politics questions

I had a question in my mock today - which was “explain, analyse and evaluate how checks and balances work more effectively in the US constitution than the UK constitution”

For one of my points I wrote about committees? Is this wrong??
Original post by mattlcfc
I had a question in my mock today - which was “explain, analyse and evaluate how checks and balances work more effectively in the US constitution than the UK constitution”

Nope, but both systems of government have committees.

not entirely sure what the uk generally refers to as checks and balances, but in the us it refers to the powers that each branch of government has to make sure they don't overpower each other. committees simply look into legislative issues for review, schedule bills to be debated on the floor, and organize the budget in congress and monitor governmental agencies in senate.
Reply 3
Original post by lilimae725
not entirely sure what the uk generally refers to as checks and balances, but in the us it refers to the powers that each branch of government has to make sure they don't overpower each other. committees simply look into legislative issues for review, schedule bills to be debated on the floor, and organize the budget in congress and monitor governmental agencies in senate.

Original post by 999tigger
Nope, but both systems of government have committees.

Cheers for the response.
i wrote about how committees provide a check and balance in both the systems eg the Backbench business committee in the UK and the House Rules committee and select having more power and significance than the UK ones in relation to the question.

im just worried that they may not be relevant?
(edited 4 years ago)
Cheers for the response.
i wrote about how committees provide a check and balance in both the systems eg the Backbench business committee in the UK and the House Rules committee and select having more power and significance than the UK ones in relation to the question.

im just worried that they may not be relevant?

happy to help, sorry I wasn't specific on my last answer haha. honestly as long as you can make a coherent argument saying that they provide checks and balances, it's relevant. however, committees aren't specified in the US constitution, and are limited to checking the same branch of government that it exists within. arguably, you could say that committees serve as a check for the legislative branch by preventing one party or individual members of congress from becoming too powerful. if you did that, chances are you've gotten full marks on the question.
Reply 5
Original post by lilimae725
happy to help, sorry I wasn't specific on my last answer haha. honestly as long as you can make a coherent argument saying that they provide checks and balances, it's relevant. however, committees aren't specified in the US constitution, and are limited to checking the same branch of government that it exists within. arguably, you could say that committees serve as a check for the legislative branch by preventing one party or individual members of congress from becoming too powerful. if you did that, chances are you've gotten full marks on the question.

So I’ve said how the committees check the executive by summoning witnesses, but equally in the us system I’ve said how in the us system they have power to amend bills / decide which are timetables. Just worried that it may not be “constitutional” but it is clearly a “check and balance.”

Quick Reply

Latest