The Student Room Group

Gaming and mental health

I follow gaming and esports a lot, and had a thought: many people use it as an escape but mental health can be strongly negatively impacted by the behaviours on games such as League. There is a lot of abusive chat on games - and it's not just the casual ones. Esports has issues with pressure and burnout and there is very little support in the field. Call me crazy, but I kind of want to set something up to change this. Don't know what but it'll be figured out. Does anyone else have an interest in helping out with that?
Oh yeah, games are a total form of escapism! For me anyway... I get joy from it and for some reason people view people who game as being addicted.

School life has made me severly depressed at points- hell, even now I want to jump of a bridge. I have two essays due tomorrow that is 20% of my final grade, I like reading, hate english literature. I couldn't write either of them in a month being so useless and unhappy with my writing so writing them in two days isn't possible. I'm so de-motivated, I've wrote 200 and something words and just one of the essays is 2000. I struggle because I feel I have no confidence in my writing, I never know how to start an essay in a way that sounds like most high grade answers. Its not far off of half seven and right now, I just want to go back to gaming for an hour or so that i can escape this boring, dead-beat nightmare- i'm even using my phone as we speak to escape as clearly committing the ol' 'live no more' is out of the question, too scared and don't really want to, just want to not exist right now.

I think it's great you want to do something, I am routing for you and hope you go through with it. I just want to revise, not do these stupid component essays. Praying the seagull himself, Boris Johnson closes schools here...:dipsy:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by a1313ie
Oh yeah, games are a total form of escapism! For me anyway... I get joy from it and for some reason people view people who game as being addicted.

School life has made me severly depressed at points- hell, even now I want to jump of a bridge. I have two essays due tomorrow that is 20% of my final grade, I like reading, hate english literature. I couldn't write either of them in a month being so useless and unhappy with my writing so writing them in two days isn't possible. I'm so de-motivated, I've wrote 200 and something words and just one of the essays is 2000. I struggle because I feel I have no confidence in my writing, I never know how to start an essay in a way that sounds like most high grade answers. Its not far off of half seven and right now, I just want to go back to gaming for an hour or so that i can escape this boring, dead-beat nightmare- i'm even using my phone as we speak to escape as clearly committing the ol' 'live no more' is out of the question, too scared and don't really want to, just want to not exist right now.

I think it's great you want to do something, I am routing for you and hope you go through with it. I just want to revise, not do these stupid component essays. Praying the seagull himself, Boris Johnson closes schools here...:dipsy:

That's definitely a rough situation. Let me know if you need any help with it, I consider myself pretty good at essays and papers, generally speaking. If only we could have one on games, though...!
Are you even out of school yet?
Original post by idontknowtbh
That's definitely a rough situation. Let me know if you need any help with it, I consider myself pretty good at essays and papers, generally speaking. If only we could have one on games, though...!

That is very sweet of you, I might take you up on that offer if push comes to shove. :smile: I'm hoping to (speaking of gaming) play a little to chill out, relax and initiate some positivity and do an all nighter writing the rest of the essay. It is supposed to be a first draft, I just think the panic sort of takes over and doubt of my writing begins. But i've took some advice, and i'm going to try and do it with out doubting too much, 'JUST DO IT!' as they say.:broken: An essay on games could be fun! I know an all nighter might sound bad but it will be the weekend where I can catch up on some shut eye. Plus plenty of people do all nighters for various reasons. I feel maybe the idea of having nothing else to do might speed up the writing process and make me want to do it. Plus I could have an early start and time for a cup of tea :colondollar:! That makes me happy- Maybe even some breakfast for the first time in forever!- or actually maybe not, not really a morning eater. I'm feeling a little more positive thinking about it. Lets just hope the execution is good too. I just think I need to be more confident in my writing, it's just hard you know?:starwars: I can do it in a timed one because you have nothing to lose, but in a one that involves own time doesn't alwats bode well. Probably need to sort out my mindset and confidence.

Thank you.
Original post by ozzyoscy
Are you even out of school yet?

Doesn't matter how I respond to that, you'll find a reason why it's wrong anyway. People can do things regardless of their level of education, yaknow.
Original post by a1313ie
That is very sweet of you, I might take you up on that offer if push comes to shove. :smile: I'm hoping to (speaking of gaming) play a little to chill out, relax and initiate some positivity and do an all nighter writing the rest of the essay. It is supposed to be a first draft, I just think the panic sort of takes over and doubt of my writing begins. But i've took some advice, and i'm going to try and do it with out doubting too much, 'JUST DO IT!' as they say.:broken: An essay on games could be fun! I know an all nighter might sound bad but it will be the weekend where I can catch up on some shut eye. Plus plenty of people do all nighters for various reasons. I feel maybe the idea of having nothing else to do might speed up the writing process and make me want to do it. Plus I could have an early start and time for a cup of tea :colondollar:! That makes me happy- Maybe even some breakfast for the first time in forever!- or actually maybe not, not really a morning eater. I'm feeling a little more positive thinking about it. Lets just hope the execution is good too. I just think I need to be more confident in my writing, it's just hard you know?:starwars: I can do it in a timed one because you have nothing to lose, but in a one that involves own time doesn't alwats bode well. Probably need to sort out my mindset and confidence.

Thank you.

All good, you'll do well ^^
Doesn't matter how I respond to that, you'll find a reason why it's wrong anyway. People can do things regardless of their level of education, yaknow.

Yeah that's what you've been told, but once you leave school / education and experience the real world, you'll realise the adults weren't quite honest with you. Life isn't just a case of 'I want it, so if I really want or try hard I'll get it'.

Ok so what do you know about starting mental health foundations and the psychology sector and what qualfiications and experience do you have that makes you the person that will do this?
Step back for a while if you feel like it’s affecting you. People feel like they can take their general frustrations out on others online due to the anonymity and general lack of repercussions. MOBAs seem to be particularly bad and LoL is the most toxic game I’ve ever played.
Yeah that's what you've been told, but once you leave school / education and experience the real world, you'll realise the adults weren't quite honest with you. Life isn't just a case of 'I want it, so if I really want or try hard I'll get it'.

Ok so what do you know about starting mental health foundations and the psychology sector and what qualfiications and experience do you have that makes you the person that will do this?

They never said about starting a mental health foundation, I don't know where you got that from. They want to help and last time I checked, you don't need the education you are refering to, to help. There are many ways he could help people who struggle with this without needing money or a degree in psychology. For instance, when i'm feeling down, I normally talk with my mother, regardless or the fact i'm close to starting university/ an apprenticeship. She hasn't got a psychology degree nor does she run a mental health foundation:bootyshake:. But it helps me. Most people just need someone to talk to, or give advice. He could really help people without a degree or a centre.

Furthermore, its a wonderful thing knowing that someone actually wants to help unlike some people. Especially someone from a younger generation/this one! Most younger kids couldn't give a damn and take pride in wasting away their life messing around. They are also a huge part of the problem with how they speak to others, no manners or self control. I know from seeing interactions between my younger brother and his friends. Hell, even the whole school itself is dreadful to the point where teachers are actually afraid of kids. I was always taught to try my best, if it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out, at least you tried. On top of that, if you didn't try, you'd never get it, so you are definitely nore likely to achieve your goals if you try.

More than anything, it is what he wants to do, so he will do it. We should support him, not deter him. We don't have enough kind people in this world.
Original post by a1313ie
They never said about starting a mental health foundation, I don't know where you got that from.

*Raises hand*

Stop there. I never said they said about starting one, though that would be the most logical take.

Ah the internet, where asking someone questions is seen as some sort of affront. Such a toxic place.
*Raises hand*

Stop there. I never said they said about starting one, though that would be the most logical take.

Ah the internet, where asking someone questions is seen as some sort of affront. Such a toxic place.

*lightly pushes the hand away*

So... you didn't say "Ok so what do you know about starting mental health foundations."?

It's strange to think you've been on this since 2008, are most likely a grown adult and yet, you see my comment as toxic.😂 I'm a little worried, sir.

Your response has made me possibly feel that I have misunderstood your initial answer due to reading it and heavily believing it came off as rude. I will not apologise for this as my comment still stands as a criticism of your answer/questions so, if you couldn't take my comment on the chin and think it's a toxic response... I'm sorry to say, but i don't think you have ever come across an actual toxic person and you can't tell criticism from toxicity. If I did want to be toxic, Believe me, I would of called you every name under
the sun my friend, and a whole lot more.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by a1313ie
*lightly pushes the hand away*

So... you didn't say "Ok so what do you know about starting mental health foundations."?

It's strange to think you've been on this since 2008, are most likely a grown adult and yet, you see my comment as toxic.😂

And I stop there. I gave you a chance by reading more than I should have, it wasn't rewarded.

Consider you spent however long thinking up this 'comeback' and 3 more minutes fretting over this posturing while editing it, how happy you'd be putting that effort into something positive or engaging. What a kinder place the world would be.
Can we keep this on topic and not turn it into an argument please?
Can we keep this on topic and not turn it into an argument please?

I've done my bit not letting it become an argument, but how can it be kept on topic when you don't reply to people who answer?
Sorry, I didn't intend for it to escalate in to an argument, this person just... is just really something else entirely. I was just trying to support you as well as criticise this person's answer, but they viewed that as toxicity. I admit I misunderstood the tone of the message as I can't hear their voice saying it, only how I perceive it, similar to what they have done. They said they never bothered to read it all (not that they are obligated to and they might of still come to the assumption they did) -as it wasn't 'rewarding' whatever that means, my answer wasn't supposed to be rewarding- so of course they were equally just as assuming as I was. We both made the mistake of misunderstanding each other.

They're responses just sound rude and maybe that is just me, but I mean... "Consider you spent however long thinking up this 'comeback' and 3 more minutes fretting over this posturing while editing it, how happy you'd be putting that effort into something positive or engaging. What a kinder place the world would be." I typed it as soon as I could, am I not allowed to edit my own answer to fix any spelling mistakes or add a point I might of missed? Does that really make me a mean person in their eyes? They are wasting time responding so, they are equally wasting time when they could be doing something productive. I have nothing of importance to do, so hence why I am on here.

Like I'm doing just now: I'm editing to point out the fact that the capacity of my second response took little to no time to think of what I wanted to say, my initial answer is an example, now that took time composing as I was thinking of points, and I'm not afraid to admit that.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by a1313ie
Sorry, I didn't intend for it to escalate in to an argument, this person just... is just really something else entirely. I was just trying to support you as well as criticise this person's answer, but they viewed that as toxicity. I admit I misunderstood the tone of the message as I can't hear their voice saying it, only how I perceive it, similar to what they have done. They said they never bothered to read it all (not that they are obligated to and they might of still come to the assumption they did) -as it wasn't 'rewarding' whatever that means, my answer wasn't supposed to be rewarding- so of course they were equally just as assuming as I was. We both made the mistake of misunderstanding each other.

They're responses just sound rude and maybe that is just me, but I mean... "Consider you spent however long thinking up this 'comeback' and 3 more minutes fretting over this posturing while editing it, how happy you'd be putting that effort into something positive or engaging. What a kinder place the world would be." I typed it as soon as I could, am I not allowed to edit my answer to fix any spelling mistakes or add a point I might of missed? Like I'm doing just now: I'm editing to point out the fact that the capacity of my second response took little to no time to think of what I wanted to say, my initial answer is an example, now that took time composing, and I'm not afraid to admit that.

It's fine, let's just all drop it and move on.

Quick Reply

Latest