The Student Room Group

Is your university going online due to Coronavirus?

Volunteer Note: For advice, guidance and up-to-date information on Coronavirus/COVID-19, please check out the NHS, UK Government, and Mind (mental health) web-pages.

Today and earlier this week universities have announced total closures, or reductions to timetables in the wake of COVID-19. Some of the institutions have also announced plans to potentially delay summer graduations. Some of these closures are having an immediate effect.

Has your university announced they'll be closed?

Have they explained how you might be affected?

Do you feel that this action is justified, or that your university isn't going far enough?

Post your thoughts below. :smile:

Universities stopping face-to-face teaching so far include:

Spoiler

Update as at 20/03/2020
We've now moved on quite considerably since the universities were individually declaring their plans. The vast majority of universities are moving to digital teaching, and some have gone further in closing a lot of their facilities.

If you want to discuss Online Exams, please use this thread.

If you want to discuss Graduations, come hang out in this thread.

We also have this thread to chat if you're staying at uni during self-isolation. :colondollar:

Stay safe and take care everyone. :heart:
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Cambridge University Press has made ~700 textbooks available online free of charge until (at present) the end of May. However currently the system is somewhat overloaded and quite slow. This is for students at any school/university (or indeed members of the public), and not just staff and students from the University of Cambridge. Available here: https://www.cambridge.org/core/

Adobe has offered free access to its Creative Cloud Applications for students and educational institutions until the end of May as well (thanks to @PQ for the info!)
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by 04MR17
Today and earlier this week universities have announced total closures, or reductions to timetables in the wake of COVID-19. Some of the institutions have also announced plans to potentially delay summer graduations.

Some of these closures are having an immediate effect.

Obviously this is a stressful time for everyone, especially those whose assessments may be affected.

Has your university announced they'll be closed?

Have they explained how you might be affected?

Do you feel that this action is justified, or that your university isn't going far enough?

Post your thoughts below. :smile:

Universities announcing closure so far include:
- Durham
- MMU
- Lancaster
- Southampton
- Harper Adams (anecdotal)

(Correct as of 13th March)

Will yu be updating the list?

Does closure mean no lectures, does it include the library and SU?
Are exams cancelled?
Original post by 999tigger
Will yu be updating the list?

Does closure mean no lectures, does it include the library and SU?
Are exams cancelled?

I will aim to yes. :smile:

That varies per uni, some unis I've omitted from the list have announced that the university will remain open but they are reducing their teaching and closing some services and cancelling events (Keele have today cancelled their offer holder event due to take place tomorrow). Unis listed have sent emails to students saying "we are going to be closed and there will be no teaching".

Several unis who've announced closure have yet to fully confirm plans for exams, most of which are later in May or June. I suspect they're waiting until the Easter holidays to see how the national picture is developing.
Reply 4
UCL and LSE no lectures on campus from Monday. KCL is carrying on but expects no lectures Monday 23rd onwards
uclan have said any groups over 30 cannot meet face to face, so lectures watched online , but smaller groups are still meeting
university of leicester is also closed
Not that I know of. I don’t want it to affect my attendance. I know I’m not overreacting by not going because mines very close to an airport.
Reply 8
Nottingham will be online only by week of 23rd March
Original post by gypjh
Nottingham will be online only by week of 23rd March

Do you have any idea if this will affect interviews? I have one on the 1st of April
Reply 10
University of life never closes :no:
Ugh this is ridiculous- I paid several grand for my course and I want my uni to be open!
Original post by QuantumC1ockwork
Do you have any idea if this will affect interviews? I have one on the 1st of April

Contact who you have an interview with and the admissions team. The University will remain open, so hopefully you should be fine. But best to ask.
Original post by zetamcfc
Contact who you have an interview with and the admissions team. The University will remain open, so hopefully you should be fine. But best to ask.

Thank you!
Reply 14
Glasgow have cancelled all on-campus exams and any exams will now be remote. Whether this will be possible for all course types, who knows, so many exams may be axed completely.
Original post by ROC10
Glasgow have cancelled all on-campus exams and any exams will now be remote. Whether this will be possible for all course types, who knows, so many exams may be axed completely.

Just confirming that this is Uni of Glasgow?

Sounds like a pretty broad approach on exams. Could this also include practical exams like music recitals?
Original post by ROC10

Wow, I seriously cannot imagine a 3-4th year maths exams online. Would have to be absolutely brutal to counteract the ability of online resources and books.
(edited 4 years ago)
My university haven't announced closure, I partly hope they don't either.

It's bad enough having an entire month knocked off of teaching because of the strikes, if it's closed for another few weeks then we've barely had any teaching for this semester's modules. Nothing in place to take account of it either.
Original post by syrialove1981
Ugh this is ridiculous- I paid several grand for my course and I want my uni to be open!

And those who may be immunocompromised would like to live....:eek:
Original post by Simbasoul
And those who may be immunocompromised would like to live....:eek:

Well those people are the ones who should stay home seeing as they are the minority??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending