The Student Room Group

Realistic grade improvement

Realistically how many grades can I go up in with a D in biology and chemistry with a couple months left till my real exams?

Scroll to see replies

Bump
We need more information.

1) What grades have you been getting all year?
2) Have you started revising?
3) Have you made any revision material?
4) What grades do you need?
5) Are there any major topics you struggle on?
6) How many hours per day do you revise?
7) Do you have free/study periods during school? What do you do during them?

Nobody can tell you how many grades you can go up by because the same technique doesn't work for everyone. You could revise really hard and still fail because you don't understand how mark schemes work or you aren't revising effectively.
Original post by 5hyl33n
We need more information.

1) What grades have you been getting all year?
2) Have you started revising?
3) Have you made any revision material?
4) What grades do you need?
5) Are there any major topics you struggle on?
6) How many hours per day do you revise?
7) Do you have free/study periods during school? What do you do during them?

Nobody can tell you how many grades you can go up by because the same technique doesn't work for everyone. You could revise really hard and still fail because you don't understand how mark schemes work or you aren't revising effectively.

For biology I got a U for end of year 😳😳 then a C and then an E and now a D. My end of year one I never revised for.
For chemistry I've consistently been getting D:s and C's.
I've made a lot of revision material but I'm going to stop making notes now and just focus on questions.
I need BBB for my firm.
I don't struggle on any topics just the exam technique and the vast amount of content.
I revise 4 hours a day typically.
I do have frees and I revise in them.
Original post by Flyehigh
For biology I got a U for end of year 😳😳 then a C and then an E and now a D. My end of year one I never revised for.
For chemistry I've consistently been getting D:s and C's.
I've made a lot of revision material but I'm going to stop making notes now and just focus on questions.
I need BBB for my firm.
I don't struggle on any topics just the exam technique and the vast amount of content.
I revise 4 hours a day typically.
I do have frees and I revise in them.

That's a good start! When is your next test?

Focusing on exam-questions is good, but also remember to go over content too consistently. Perhaps, randomly choose an exam-question and try to answer it. If you can't, it means you don't know the topic.
Original post by 5hyl33n
That's a good start! When is your next test?

Focusing on exam-questions is good, but also remember to go over content too consistently. Perhaps, randomly choose an exam-question and try to answer it. If you can't, it means you don't know the topic.

That was my last mock I had it at the end of February. Is it realistic to aim for A's I really want to get them but I don't think I will.
That was my last mock I had it at the end of February. Is it realistic to aim for A's I really want to get them but I don't think I will.

It's not bad to aim for A's. But personally, aim for BBB at least. You sound dedicated so I'm sure it will happen. Good luck for A-Levels!
Realistically how many grades can I go up in with a D in biology and chemistry with a couple months left till my real exams?

@Reality Check have you ever seen someone go from DDB TO AAA.
Original post by 5hyl33n
It's not bad to aim for A's. But personally, aim for BBB at least. You sound dedicated so I'm sure it will happen. Good luck for A-Levels!

Thankyou so much.
@Reality Check have you ever seen someone go from DDB TO AAA.

No. This realistically isn't going to happen.

Unfortunately, TSR is full of well-meaning people for whom telling someone: 'yeah, of course you can do it, just do lots of work etc etc' is just A Nice Thing To Do, rather than actually useful or genuinely helpful to the OP. The truth of the matter is that it is essentially totally unrealistic to expect to increase by three grades in two difficult subjects at this level with so little time left. It happens once in a million cases, and that's usually because there has been some calamity in the student's previous study (deaths, illnesses etc) which has prevented the student studying at a normal rate and the DDB is actually not remotely a reflection of their actual attainment. Alternatively, the student can be super-bright and again has done zero work: they then study for 60-odd hours a week and pull it out of their árse in the examination (again, I can only think of a couple of instances of this). For the student whose attainment is represented by these grades (calculated from current attainment in in-class tests, mocks, written work etc, and triangulation with established data from previous cohorts), it can be improved on, by not very much.

Rather than beat yourself up by trying to attain the unattainable (in all likelihood), try aiming for a more realistic outcome - say BCC. You've hopefully been sensible with your university choices and have at least one 'easy' offer which you can fall back on; if you do much better than anticipated, you can always enter Adjustment.

Sorry to be negative, but I'm not going to lie to you just to make you feel better. What would be the point of that? :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Thankyou so much.

What is your third subject, by the way?
Original post by 5hyl33n
What is your third subject, by the way?

Psychology.
Original post by Reality Check
No. This realistically isn't going to happen.

Unfortunately, TSR is full of well-meaning people for whom telling someone: 'yeah, of course you can do it, just do lots of work etc etc' is just A Nice Thing To Do, rather than actually useful or genuinely helpful to the OP. The truth of the matter is that it is essentially totally unrealistic to expect to increase by three grades in two difficult subjects at this level with so little time left. It happens once in a million cases, and that's usually because there has been some calamity in the student's previous study (deaths, illnesses etc) which has prevented the student studying at a normal rate and the DDB is actually not remotely a reflection of their actual attainment. Alternatively, the student can be super-bright and again has done zero work: they then study for 60-odd hours a week and pull it out of their árse in the examination (again, I can only think of a couple of instances of this). For the student whose attainment is represented by these grades (calculated from current attainment in in-class tests, mocks, written work etc, and triangulation with established data from previous cohorts), it can be improved on, by not very much.

Rather than beat yourself up by trying to attain the unattainable (in all likelihood), try aiming for a more realistic outcome - say BCC. You've hopefully been sensible with your university choices and have at least one 'easy' offer which you can fall back on; if you do much better than anticipated, you can always enter Adjustment.

Sorry to be negative, but I'm not going to lie to you just to make you feel better. What would be the point of that? :smile:

Okay thankyou. I did go through depression and family death during year 12 and so did not know the content. I've only started revising the content properly now. I have got to grips with the content but I just need to do a lot of exam papers.
Psychology.

How are you doing in that?
Original post by 5hyl33n
How are you doing in that?

I got a B
Okay thankyou. I did go through depression

Not being harsh, but I've yet to find a Year 13 who isn't either depressed or suffering from anxiety.
Not being harsh, but I've yet to find a Year 13 who isn't either depressed or suffering from anxiety.

Same. my whole school is depressed
I don't want to fail but I want to leave.
Original post by coronavirus1

I don't want to fail but I want to leave.

I can understand that. It can be a very unwholesome and toxic environment, unfortunately.
I can understand that. It can be a very unwholesome and toxic environment, unfortunately.

Are you in year 13

Being depressed and stressed are not the same thing.

Quick Reply

Latest