The Student Room Group

I want to go to a festival but have never been...

I have never been to a festival but have always wanted to. However, I have a few reservations/questions first...
1. Are the sleeping arrangements/Camping horrendous?
2. Is there decent showering blocks?
3. Is there a festival that shows older stars.. I'm not into Stormzy or anyone like that...
4. What is a good beginner festival?
Original post by EmPugh19
I have never been to a festival but have always wanted to. However, I have a few reservations/questions first...
3. Is there a festival that shows older stars.. I'm not into Stormzy or anyone like that...

I'm going to my first this August! I'm really looking forward to it. Luckily it's local so I am able to just walk there and walk back. It's called Victorious festival.
1. Yes, camping is awful and I guarantee that you probably won't sleep (but don't let that put you off)
2. You're only usually going to find shower blocks if you opt for the expensive/fancy camping (otherwise it's wet wipes and deodorant I'm afraid!)
3&4 - If you're looking for a big festival then the Isle of Wight festival usually has a nice mix of older and modern bands. (Duran Duran this year!)

Gonna be completely honest, the camping sucks and you're probably going to feel like a hobo for the weekend but it's honestly worth it. The music is amazing, the atmosphere is amazing and it's all around good fun.
It really depends on the festival. I have been to Glastonbury a few times but not for 20 years and it is a lot bigger these days. You don't shower there - baby wipes is the best you can do.
I have never camped at Reading but i have been in on day tickets and have seen the aftermath- not pretty, especially if it rains.
We used to go to WOMAD before they moved it - definitely more civilised.
We usually go to Folk by the Oak which is only 1 day.
We are trying Beautiful Days this year with our new camper van. A different set of artists than most of them. This would probably be a good first one.

Every festival is different, but generally the camping can be grim if you pick a bad spot. Try to avoid the edge of the campsites as people will probably urinate on or at the outer fence and it'll smell. Similarly, try to avoid camping near the toilets. Also try to avoid being on a hill or at the bottom of a hill. The walk up to your tent will suck an awful lot less than everything getting flooded when it rains. Oh and absolutely do NOT get a cheap pop up tent for £10-£15 if you want things to remain dry or if you're even approaching average height and want to sleep stretched out. £40 in a sale at a camping shop or amazon will get you something you can use over and over again. My current one was about £80 and I've probably used it in the region of about ten times and it's showing no signs of needing to be replaced and has never soaked through, even in very heavy rain, so I should get another couple of years out of it easily.

The showering situation varies enormously. Some are non-existent. Some are free but horrible. Some are expensive and nice, some are expensive and horrible. Keep an eye on when they're cleaned and try to aim to use them just afterwards. Same with the toilets.

You might like Ramblin' Man Fair. This year they've got Lynyrd Skynyrd, Massive Wagons, Big Big Train and Hawkwind (to name the ones I'm personally interested in) The lineup isn't complete yet, so there's a good chance of more artists you like being announced. Also the typical age of people going to it will be a lot older than Reading/Leeds or that type of festival. So generally a bit more mature. Bloodstock was generally known for the more extreme music, but they do tend to put on a big variety of stuff and it's generally considered family friendly so tends to be pretty chill unless you're in the designated "party hard" campsite. Really, I'd suggest going to a festival because you like the music rather than because it's "good for beginners".

The first festival I went to was a black metal festival in a forest in Cumbria in October, which was great but probably not ideal for a first time experience as it was cold and remote, and there was no drinkable water on site, but it was small and friendly and the music was great. I've been back every year since although it's not (officially) not happening again after 2019. Unofficially, it might be back on in 2021 or 2022.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Manitude
Really, I'd suggest going to a festival because you like the music rather than because it's "good for beginners".

I agree with this. I have looked at lots of festivals this year (after failing to get Glasto tickets which would have been fun as we last went on our honeymoon and it's our 20th wedding anniversary this year) and the line ups just haven't appealed. We are doing Beautiful Days as I'm a big Gary Numan fan and I have never seen him in a festival environment. We are also doing All Points East for a day as husband is very into Kraftwerk - if they don't cancel it for Corvid 19 that is.

My first festival was last year at Leeds festival, it was pretty good. I've never been to anything like it I don't like pubs clubs and everything in between but foo fighters, blossoms and 21 pilots was playing so went with a friend.

Leeds is a large festival but got use to it quite quickly so the size of the festival doesn't really matter, I'm not a very confident person but I enjoyed it. The camping is quite good depending where you put your tent, my brother and his mates put it right next to one if the paths going through the camp sites and had no issues besides some people singing quite late but everyone is usually knackered out so just sleep. Some people were at the sides next to the wall so some people got pee on their tent. There are lots of showers, but can't be in for long.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by ReadingMum
I agree with this. I have looked at lots of festivals this year (after failing to get Glasto tickets which would have been fun as we last went on our honeymoon and it's our 20th wedding anniversary this year) and the line ups just haven't appealed. We are doing Beautiful Days as I'm a big Gary Numan fan and I have never seen him in a festival environment. We are also doing All Points East for a day as husband is very into Kraftwerk - if they don't cancel it for Corvid 19 that is.

I'm into a bit of Kraftwerk myself, although never seen them live. Unfortunately it looks like most big events for the next few months will be cancelled/postponed and it really probably is better to be safe than sorry with this. I'm in self isolation myself as I started to get a fever last night. It could well just be a standard seasonal bug, but I'd rather not take the risk of infecting others. Plus I'm not feeling well enough to be going outside anyway. I only just got out of bed at about 6 pm after 18 hours of bed rest.
Original post by Manitude
I'm into a bit of Kraftwerk myself, although never seen them live. Unfortunately it looks like most big events for the next few months will be cancelled/postponed and it really probably is better to be safe than sorry with this. I'm in self isolation myself as I started to get a fever last night. It could well just be a standard seasonal bug, but I'd rather not take the risk of infecting others. Plus I'm not feeling well enough to be going outside anyway. I only just got out of bed at about 6 pm after 18 hours of bed rest.

We went all the way to Barcelona to see Kraftwerk at Sonar festival, and also saw them in Bristol (which my daughter says is 3 hours of her life that she will never get back!)
We have a few gigs booked in the coming months but who knows if they will go ahead.

Take care of yourself.
Original post by ReadingMum
We went all the way to Barcelona to see Kraftwerk at Sonar festival, and also saw them in Bristol (which my daughter says is 3 hours of her life that she will never get back!)
We have a few gigs booked in the coming months but who knows if they will go ahead.

Take care of yourself.

Going to another country just for a gig is certainly dedication! I also have a couple of gigs in the next few weeks, although they're ones I'm performing at rather than attending. So far they're all saying they will go ahead as they're only smaller events, but I think it might be wise to postpone them. Unfortunately, that's beyond my control other than me personally saying I won't be going. The next one is a week today so really I'll only just be finished with the recommended 7 day self isolation. If I'm not completely 100% better by then, then I really don't think I'll be doing it.

Thank you, I've got plenty of painkillers and fluids on hand to make things more comfortable - and keep safe yourself, too!
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest