The Student Room Group

Tory government simply not bothered enough to act

Scroll to see replies

Omg have some brain cells, whatever anti-Chinese raciest **** u say i can ignore, what about japan, South Korea. At this point you are just being ignorant using italy as an example, someone already replied you that they did it TOO LATE, but soon it will drop
And you know this because? It is quite easy to find the numbers who have recovered.

I'm sure you do have this magical power that lets you see the truth without any actual evidence.
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/301397

If you care about the health of other people, I would recommend you sign this petition - Implement UK lockdown for preventing spread of COVID19.
You cannot use Italy as an example because the Nationwide Quarantine took place on 9th March. Death rates will only decline approximately 3 weeks from this date. This is because it will take 1 week for somebody to become symptomatic post-quarantine (we are only 4 days at the moment) - followed by 2 further weeks for death to occur.

"A study of these cases found that the median days from first symptom to death were 14 (range 6-41) days".
Source: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-death-rate/#days

I believe I have answered all your questions with science and sources; rather than your 'friend' in China. I'll leave my wasted time at this.
(edited 4 years ago)
The death rates are 0.2% just a rough estimate, and ppl will still die
Things our lazy, indifferent, incompetent government are still not bothered enough to do.

* Public information on TV, radio and web, giving people strong advice about various social situations and practises.

* Widespread random testing.

* Shutting down of high-risk locations, such as fast food outlets, cinemas.

* Centralised control of critical supplies, such as painkillers, antiinflammatories, vital foods.

Boris and his ministers might be asleep on the job, but a more realistic interpretation is that behind the scenes they are concentrating on protecting themselves and their families and their rich buddies.
1,140 test positive and 21 deaths.
A FoS prediction: as the death toll rises, Boris and the other government ministers will disappear from view and we will be briefed by medical civil servants with whatever lies they think will sound comforting.
Check today's stats. Italy doesn't have any new cases today, a few days into aggressive quarantine. Is Italy lying too?
Do you genuinely not understand the point of quarantine measures or are you just so callous and cruel as to happily see thousands die to protect "the economy"? Yes it will still spread with quarantine measures, but cases will grow at a much slower rate than if we were to be business as usual - softening the load on our healthcare system and ensuring that fewer people die from it as well as buying time for the development of anti-viral medication to treat existing cases and a vaccine to prevent further outbreaks. Lockdown measures slow the spread and save lives.
A few months should be sufficient to develop a vaccine, and yes, lockdown measures save lives by flattening the curve - death rates start to soar in a country when it spreads so rapidly that their healthcare service cannot handle the number of cases. Slow the spread, lower the burden on the NHS, ensure they can provide the care needed to keep as many alive as possible. The government is taking the exact opposite approach and will cause thousands of preventable deaths
I think not murdering thousands of people is sensible yes. **** the economy, people need to understand it's a system we invented for ourselves and one we can throw out at any point - the economy is not real, the virus is. Starving to death can easily be avoided by not adhering to the death cult of free market capitalism: implementing rent reliefs and freezes, proper statutory sick pay etc.

The virus is far far deadlier than a normal flu and again, death rates soar when healthcare systems are overwhelmed, and ours will be quickly overwhelmed thanks to decades of mismanagement and a policy that is mass murder, no two ways about it: aiming for herd immunity at a disease that's hitting a 5%+ death rate where it has spread quickly (e.g. Wuhan) without a vaccine means taking the deaths of ~2.7m people in the UK as necessary (based on a 90% herd immunity level, 60% is nonsense). Not taking measures to slow the spread and thus keep the death rate lower is literally destroying lives by ending them, that is a far worse scenario than a few months of lockdown and those arguing otherwise, well they should just best hope it's not their loved ones or themselves that are the acceptable casualties in the eyes of this government
Good grief. Not checked this thread for a while but not surprised some are in full on panic mode.

Every country is different: health care provision, method of access, cultural and mobility variables dictating how the virus spreads, demographic, climate, organisation, access to reliable statistics and science....to name a few.

This virus is unprecented. It's not helpful comparing it to Spanish flu or any other because once again the maturity of science, medical practices, media coverage, level of herd immunity, all play a part and are absolutely not the same.

No country has the answer, it's all an experiment. No health authority anywhere in the planet is prepared to deal with an explosion of this magnitude. The NHS is no different, but at least we have a functioning health care system everyone has access to. If there is any country I'd want to be in right now to ride this out, the U.K. has to be near or at the top of a short list.

Stop panicking, be sensible, take precautions and above all, don't be f***ing selfish. Keep Calm Carry On.
Cool. Never said that anyway but A) it's not a flu, B) that's completely irrelevant when again we point out that it is quite deadly and again, death rates can be kept low by ensuring the healthcare system has the capacity to cope by slowing the spread wherever possible
All Bojo cares about is the rich to avoid paying tax.
The proper name for the virus is SARS-CoV-2. It is literally a variant of the SARS virus. It is categorically not a flu.
If you get the flu, you can just get the vaccine prior or take some antivirals. There isn't anything right now for the new coronavirus.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Closure of schools is arguably a negative given that many of the parents will be vital health workers. But there is NO excuse for leaving open mass gathering events where people are in close proximity and for not taking much more aggressive measures on widespread testing. Above all, we are going to need massive expansion of healthcare facilities and the government are doing sweet fa on that.

aren't schools (especially state secondary/upper schools, boarding schools, sixth form colleges and unis) places where there are mass gatherings?
Seriously? I'm not doing that at all, I've even mentioned the upper levels of the mortality rate in this thread. But, if you want the simple facts again, it is far more deadly than the flu (flu has a death rate of about 0.1% whereas Covid-19 has a death rate around 3.5%); and the biggest issue with any infectious disease, particularly a pandemic, is the capacity of the healthcare system to manage it. Spread too quickly and overload the healthcare system, or be caught completely cold by it and unable to react, and the death rate of any disease soars - that is what is happening in Wuhan where the death rates top 5%. That is what we want to avoid: we want to avoid it spreading too quickly, we want the infection rate to remain within the capacity of the healthcare system and the UKs strategy will not do that. That is why the brits are the laughing stock of Europe yet again.

Don't go round telling people to educate themselves when you have posted nothing but mind-numbing ignorance around epidemiology and **** takes about the flu (as if respiratory symptoms meant it was the same).
They weren't all over 70.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending