The Student Room Group

Breath of the Wild

Someone tell me why Breath of the Wild is Game of the Year calibre and worthy of sinking hundreds of hours into. Am I missing a trick or am I only seeing weapon and climbing durability systems?

Scroll to see replies

How long have you played for? Once you get into it the quests and things to do piles up veeeery quickly and you can get overwhelmed with choice on what to do next.
Original post by hariisawesome
How long have you played for? Once you get into it the quests and things to do piles up veeeery quickly and you can get overwhelmed with choice on what to do next.

I've played a bit, probably not as long as 3 hours but I'm not sure. I think it's the inaccessibility that gets to me and I fret it might be more annoying and difficult than I'd want from a Nintendo game. I'm sure it's an excellent game in places but I just can't see how great it is when I'm struggling to acclimate-then I pop in Super Mario Odyssey and have a blast, a game I completed and love every inch of.
Original post by JDINCINERATOR
I've played a bit, probably not as long as 3 hours but I'm not sure. I think it's the inaccessibility that gets to me and I fret it might be more annoying and difficult than I'd want from a Nintendo game. I'm sure it's an excellent game in places but I just can't see how great it is when I'm struggling to acclimate-then I pop in Super Mario Odyssey and have a blast, a game I completed and love every inch of.

I guess it starts off hard and a bit annoying but gets fantastic later on. You have literally just started, until you get off the great plateau it’s gonna be limited to where you go. Once you get off you can go anywhere. It gets better later on trust me. It’s more intense than odyssey but become easy but still enjoyable near the end. Also get the DLC if you can.
I loved Botw from the start, even on the initial plateau, the GFX style, the audio, exploring the suspense it was building, loved it.

Mario Odyssey tbh I found pretty limited and childish, and I say that as someone who loved Mario Sunshine, it's v cutesy spiritual predecessor.
Original post by hariisawesome
I guess it starts off hard and a bit annoying but gets fantastic later on. You have literally just started, until you get off the great plateau it’s gonna be limited to where you go. Once you get off you can go anywhere. It gets better later on trust me. It’s more intense than odyssey but become easy but still enjoyable near the end. Also get the DLC if you can.

Original post by StriderHort
I loved Botw from the start, even on the initial plateau, the GFX style, the audio, exploring the suspense it was building, loved it.

Mario Odyssey tbh I found pretty limited and childish, and I say that as someone who loved Mario Sunshine, it's v cutesy spiritual predecessor.

It's great you loved Breath of the Wild but saying Super Mario Odyssey is limited isn't a fair assessment of it. Odyssey is linear sure, but the enjoyment is instant and I don't think childish is the best way to put it-immensely endearing sounds better to me. I think Odyssey has a greater imagination than Breath of the Wild, but that's just me.
It's great you loved Breath of the Wild but saying Super Mario Odyssey is limited isn't a fair assessment of it. Odyssey is linear sure, but the enjoyment is instant and I don't think childish is the best way to put it-immensely endearing sounds better to me. I think Odyssey has a greater imagination than Breath of the Wild, but that's just me.

It's just my opinion, If you've never played Mario Sunshine, I totally recommend it BTW, an undersung classic. but if you compare Odyssey to that, then I need to stick by calling it it limited and childish, I know it's kind of supposed to be, but I think they overdid it a bit. Sunshine managed to be accessible, imaginative, endearing ect AND deep with an evolving narrative, so having seen the similar formula executed so well before, I can't help but find Odyssey lacking.

Sure its has fun and imagination, but I felt it ran out of puff about halfway through. I enjoyed it plenty at the start, thinking it was looking really promising and waiting for it to open up.....and it just never really did, and about halfway through i realised it wasn't going to :frown:
Original post by StriderHort
It's just my opinion, If you've never played Mario Sunshine, I totally recommend it BTW, an undersung classic. but if you compare Odyssey to that, then I need to stick by calling it it limited and childish, I know it's kind of supposed to be, but I think they overdid it a bit. Sunshine managed to be accessible, imaginative, endearing ect AND deep with an evolving narrative, so having seen the similar formula executed so well before, I can't help but find Odyssey lacking.

Sure its has fun and imagination, but I felt it ran out of puff about halfway through. I enjoyed it plenty at the start, thinking it was looking really promising and waiting for it to open up.....and it just never really did, and about halfway through i realised it wasn't going to :frown:

That's cool I appreciate your perspective. I would love to play Super Mario Sunshine and Paper Mario And The Thousand Year Door on GameCube. I don't really get what you mean when you say Odyssey is limited besides its linearity-I think it's a game made with joy and passion for what Mario is and it's very gamey in the best possible way-which I love.

How did you want Odyssey to open up? I was constantly surprised and delighted at discovering what Odyssey gave me.
That's cool I appreciate your perspective. I would love to play Super Mario Sunshine and Paper Mario And The Thousand Year Door on GameCube. I don't really get what you mean when you say Odyssey is limited besides its linearity-I think it's a game made with joy and passion for what Mario is and it's very gamey in the best possible way-which I love.

How did you want Odyssey to open up? I was constantly surprised and delighted at discovering what Odyssey gave me.

I won't deny it definitely has a lot of easy pick up appeal and the passion for Mario is there. In terms of opening up I liked the early hints of RPG elements but was let down to find the airship is basically a loading screen and nothing you buy or collect really seems to matter, there's always more coins and was there ever a point in finding more than the bare minimum of power moon things? (I honestly don't know, come to think of it I lost interest before even fighting Bowser, I think? If not it obv wasn't very memorable). I'd have liked to see more done with the ability stealing mechanic as well, it all felt a bit basic. Most of the bigger boss fights were fun, the 8 odd near identical rabbit fights I wasn't so fond of. As said, I also basically wanted it to be Sunshine 2, and it isn't :tongue:

Comparing it to Botw isn't really fair, they're always going to have a huge gap in terms of complexity. Odyssey felt like i was just making very pretty yet confined stops through a mostly hidden world, Botw felt like I was doing the same on foot/horse and seeing so much more. Puzzles that stumped me for an hour rather than a minute and a lot of motivation to explore.
Haha I KNEW as I saw who was posting this that this would be a "this thing sucks!" thread and not a "this is great! one.

We get it you. You're too cool to like stuff and everything you do like is "underrated", and people are so simple etc.
Original post by ozzyoscy
Haha I KNEW as I saw who was posting this that this would be a "this thing sucks!" thread and not a "this is great! one.

We get it you. You're too cool to like stuff and everything you do like is "underrated", and people are so simple etc.

What's your problem? I'm only trying to find out why people enjoy a videogame, I don't think Breath of the Wild sucks so you can slow your cocksure role there. I'm not too cool for anything but at least I'm not trying to leech on someone's posts for no reason.
Erm... what's there to leech off of?

Contrarians are tiresome, that's all. You make a zillion topics and spam essays about how everything popular is overrated or g on about something being crap. It's a tedious stereotype to decide to be.
Erm... what's there to leech off of?

Contrarians are tiresome, that's all. You make a zillion topics and spam essays about how everything popular is overrated or g on about something being crap. It's a tedious stereotype to decide to be.

Ok I'm a bit of a contrarian so what? I don't think anything is overrated and my point with these posts is to gather perspective and insight as well as forming a discussion. Ok I can't get on with Breath of the Wild but I don't dislike the game, I actually think it's stunning and I enjoy the fact other people love it and I wish I had that same mindset. I get that I say Odyssey is miles better for me because the amount of fun I had was more immediate than the hardships I have to endure in Breath of the Wild. Being negative I think is the best way to form a debate or discussion although it gets repetitive and eye-rolling to do so. I admit I don't like being one with the masses because my brain doesn't like it that much at all-something in me just doesn't like the feeling of the majority loving something, so I can't help but poke holes-maybe it's because I live in a miserable and repetitive environment so joy and appreciation don't come along as often. On great days I'm not so negative, but the standard is usually tinged with negativity.
Yeah I don't read essays.
Yeah I don't read essays

Yeah well you kinda asked for it. Perhaps you just want to rag on people who think differently to how you do-that's something that gets tired and predictable too.
Yeah well you kinda asked for it. Perhaps you just want to rag on people who think differently to how you do-that's something that gets tired and predictable too.

I asked for it? As in you spending time writing a lot hurts me and was punishment?
I asked for it? As in you spending time writing a lot hurts me and was punishment?

No, I mean you were criticising all my contrarian posts so I thought I'd explain it. Weird how you don't read essays yet you're posting on a website where presumably reads them.
No, I mean you were criticising all my contrarian posts so I thought I'd explain it. Weird how you don't read essays yet you're posting on a website where presumably reads them.

No, I didn't ask for an explanation.

Weird how you think people go on here or any forum to read essay posts.
No, I didn't ask for an explanation.

Weird how you think people go on here or any forum to read essay posts.

I thought I'd explain regardless.

No I don't think people go on TSR to read essay posts-now you're just presuming what I think.
I thought I'd explain regardless.

No I don't think people go on TSR to read essay posts-now you're just presuming what I think.

JDINCINERATOR: "You asked for it. Weird how you don't read essays yet you're posting on this site."

Me: "What do you mean?"

(A few replies later changing the story every time)

JDINCINERATOR: "You didn't ask for it and I don't think people go on TSR to read essay posts. You're just presuming!"

Quick Reply

Latest