The Student Room Group

Masters Nursing Wolverhampton Uni

Hi has anyone applied for the MAN adult nursing course @ Wolverhampton Uni starting in September?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have applied for the BNurs (hons) Adult Nursing, but if I remember right at one of the open days they said you can 'add on' the masters if you feel you wanted to go down that route, i don't know anything about the masters programme tho. I'm sure the man giving the talk said that most people tend to go on to complete the masters anyway but don't quote me on that as i've been to a few open days.

Sorry can't be of more help, maybe ring the Uni with any questions you might have they're usually really helpful?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
I’ve just been invited for an interview for this course
Reply 3
Original post by Tr.x

Congratulations, me too good luck.
Reply 4
are you entry level or a nurse extending there studies. a masters toa new nurse is not much use.
Reply 5
Original post by paub
are you entry level or a nurse extending there studies. a masters toa new nurse is not much use.

I'm a senior HCA iv worked at a Gp surgery for 11 years so have lots of clinical experience.
Reply 6
if it was me i would do the degree and when you need it do a masters.
Reply 7
Original post by paub
if it was me i would do the degree and when you need it do a masters.

This route will be more beneficial as it’s a shorter route to get nmc registration and u get a masters degree too
Reply 8
Original post by jenkenn4
Congratulations, me too good luck.

Thank u, good luck too
Reply 9
but it wont be specific to an area that you end up doing. for example dn or health visiting.you may end up having to do a second.
Reply 10
Original post by Tr.x
This route will be more beneficial as it’s a shorter route to get nmc registration and u get a masters degree too

Thats what I thought I have a Sociology degree + lots of experience working as a HCA so I feel the masters is the best route
Reply 11
Original post by paub
but it wont be specific to an area that you end up doing. for example dn or health visiting.you may end up having to do a second.

But the degree isn't specific to an area either? The masters is similar to the degree but basically condensed into 2 years rather than 3.
Reply 12
Original post by paub

Oh right I see, I completely forgot about that
Reply 13
But the degree isn't specific to an area either? The masters is similar to the degree but basically condensed into 2 years rather than 3.

the degree is. it gets you onto a specific part of the register. do the masters if you know your going to enjoy a higher level of study.but it will not benefit you later.most nurses that do masters do so in specialized areas. there are serious risks if doing this as first degree. you risk failing a masters is a lot harder and requires more in depth study than ba/bsc/bn. so why risk your registration because you think a master will look better. for a nqn role you simply dont need it. you simply will be spending the first few years learning the role. now why are unis pushing these courses income. they are earning more from you.
Reply 14
Original post by paub
the degree is. it gets you onto a specific part of the register. do the masters if you know your going to enjoy a higher level of study.but it will not benefit you later.most nurses that do masters do so in specialized areas. there are serious risks if doing this as first degree. you risk failing a masters is a lot harder and requires more in depth study than ba/bsc/bn. so why risk your registration because you think a master will look better. for a nqn role you simply dont need it. you simply will be spending the first few years learning the role. now why are unis pushing these courses income. they are earning more from you.

I don't think a masters will look better. I have a 2.1 degree in sociology + 11 years clinical experience therefore I feel confident I will be able to manage the masters course
Reply 15
I don't think a masters will look better. I have a 2.1 degree in sociology + 11 years clinical experience therefore I feel confident I will be able to manage the masters course

thenit may be right for you.but in general students should stick to the degree then the masters route. there are obviously exceptions. however even with a degree that does not mean the masters course is the best route. for example the wife started off with a diploma in nursing. she topped this up with a ou degree to get a bsc.she then studied for a bn in district nursing. she then studied for a masters in anp. to jump from the first to last would have missed so much learning. ps i wish you and any others all the best in your new courses. we are lucky our dn teams have such a wide level of skills from doctorates to nqn they all do a wonderful job.
Reply 16
Original post by paub
thenit may be right for you.but in general students should stick to the degree then the masters route. there are obviously exceptions. however even with a degree that does not mean the masters course is the best route. for example the wife started off with a diploma in nursing. she topped this up with a ou degree to get a bsc.she then studied for a bn in district nursing. she then studied for a masters in anp. to jump from the first to last would have missed so much learning. ps i wish you and any others all the best in your new courses. we are lucky our dn teams have such a wide level of skills from doctorates to nqn they all do a wonderful job.

Thank you
Original post by ~MJ~
I have applied for the BNurs (hons) Adult Nursing, but if I remember right at one of the open days they said you can 'add on' the masters if you feel you wanted to go down that route, i don't know anything about the masters programme tho. I'm sure the man giving the talk said that most people tend to go on to complete the masters anyway but don't quote me on that as i've been to a few open days.

Sorry can't be of more help, maybe ring the Uni with any questions you might have they're usually really helpful?

yeh said that to me aswell
Original post by Tr.x

how ur interview go
Reply 19
Original post by Kamar100
how ur interview go

It’s Thursday coming up , I’ll let you know how it goes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending