The Student Room Group

Largest First IE help!!!

I always struggle with these kind've questions.... I thought the answer was D but why is it C??
(edited 4 years ago)
3s is higher energy level than 2p
The third quantum shell has higher energy level than second quantum shell
Edit: nvm this is wrong :emo:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by lyer_in_hellfyre

because more shielded so the nuclear attraction is reduced
Original post by Claisen
because more shielded so the nuclear attraction is reduced

True! That too! :ta:
Edit : nvm i explained it wrong :/
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Edit:
The third quantum shell has higher energy level than second quantum shell

Okay.... but can I not also assume that for C since 2p is in a higher energy level than 2s??
Reply 5
Original post by Sidd1
Okay.... but can I not also assume that for C since 2p is in a higher energy level than 2s??

Yes 2p has a higher energy than 2s and is repelled more however this does not outweigh the answer for d
Reply 6
Original post by united4
Yes 2p has a higher energy than 2s and is repelled more however this does not outweigh the answer for d

Okay, well thank you!:smile:
Does the mark scheme say D?
Reply 8
Original post by Chemastronomical
Does the mark scheme say D?

No sorry I thought it was D but turns out its C. It was my mistake sorry I don't know why I said the answer was D lol instead of C
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Sidd1
No sorry I thought it was D but turns out its C. It was my mistake sorry I don't know why I said the answer was D lol instead of C

I'm sorry as well lol xD
I think the reason should go like Ne having all of its quantum shell filled is much more stable than unfilled quantum shell of Mg
(edited 4 years ago)
The answer is C, the best way to tackle these sort of questions is write out what each atom is, find it’s place on the periodic table and look for the trend. Ionisation energy tends to relate to atomic radii, the smaller the radii the higher the IE, you can look into something called effective nuclear charge which talks about shielding and something called penetration. But back to the question, the answer is C because as you know as you go along the period, the nuclear radii drops which means a higher overall IE, of course you have some exceptions to this such as aluminium and sulphur, but don’t worry about these kinda questions too much, I’m assuming it’s a 1 marker? (Haven’t done a level chemistry in over 5 years).
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 11
The answer is C, the best way to tackle these sort of questions is write out what each atom is, find it’s place on the periodic table and look for the trend. Ionisation energy tends to relate to atomic radii, the smaller the radii the higher the IE, you can look into something called effective nuclear charge which talks about shielding and something called penetration. But back to the question, the answer is C because as you know as you go along the period, the nuclear radii drops which means a higher overall IE, of course you have some exceptions to this such as aluminium and sulphur, but don’t worry about these kinda questions too much, I’m assuming it’s a 1 marker? (Haven’t done a level chemistry in over 5 years).

Yes it is a 1 marker - part of the multiple choice questions which come up in paper 1 for the OCR A spec. Your explanation does make sense though so thank you:smile:
Original post by Sidd1
Yes it is a 1 marker - part of the multiple choice questions which come up in paper 1 for the OCR A spec. Your explanation does make sense though so thank you:smile:

Yeah thought it would be, they had these sneaky questions when I sat my exams. Don’t worry about it too much, spend your time on the questions that have higher marks. Also if you have anymore questions feel free to ask. :smile:
Reply 13
Yeah thought it would be, they had these sneaky questions when I sat my exams. Don’t worry about it too much, spend your time on the questions that have higher marks. Also if you have anymore questions feel free to ask. :smile:

Yes, I definitely will :smile:
I'm sorry as well lol xD
I think the reason should go like Ne having all of its quantum shell filled is much more stable than unfilled quantum shell of Mg

Always try the simplest method initially, it’s about atomic radii and ionising, those two go hand in hand!
Always try the simplest method initially, it’s about atomic radii and ionising, those two go hand in hand!

:ta: true that!

Quick Reply

Latest