The Student Room Group

Will summer internships be cancelled?

With the coronavirus rapidly spreading, what do you guys think will happen to the internships we worked so hard to get? I'm quite scared that mine will be cancelled. If they are cancelled, do you think they'd give us a graduate role or make us re-apply?
Original post by JD112
With the coronavirus rapidly spreading, what do you guys think will happen to the internships we worked so hard to get? I'm quite scared that mine will be cancelled. If they are cancelled, do you think they'd give us a graduate role or make us re-apply?

Completely depends. Internships will be last thing on their mind at the moment.
Events are changing fast so predicting what the state of play will be in the summer is pointless.

They could cancel.
They could postpone.
They could proceed as normal.

If things go badly they could well be laying people off and reducing recruitment. See how things go.
I don't know yet if monday I'll go in the office or if I'll work from home, this is the type of visibility that we are currently dealing with. So far summer internships look like they will run as usual, but again this is way to early to speculate on anything. Don't stress about it, your bank will keep you informed on time and if you got a summer internship offer you will still be on their mind if it was to be cancelled - ie post poned by a year, FT interviews, whatever it maybe.

TLDR: Stop stressing and just relax and don't get sick!
I think it’s a good idea to ask our employers what will happen. Maybe they will do the summer programmes virtually?
Original post by Noseynads
I think it’s a good idea to ask our employers what will happen. Maybe they will do the summer programmes virtually?

It's relevant for SWs but impossible for Summer Internships. I think that they would just postpone the programs to the following summer with conversion for a September intake.
Original post by Noseynads

You’re there to do work and make a personable impact, not watch presentations for 10 weeks.

A good internship employer should have got in touch by now - but honestly it’s too early to call. It seems likely they will go ahead
I had an internship with PwC in London this summer and had an email 2 days ago to say that they are cancelling all summer programmes, including internships but hope to be able to offer us something in 2021.
Original post by Sailor123
I had an internship with PwC in London this summer and had an email 2 days ago to say that they are cancelling all summer programmes, including internships but hope to be able to offer us something in 2021.

That's horrible luck. Surely you'll be earmarked in their system though. You should also ask if you can put it on your CV.
Reply 8
I had a summer internship with PwC but got an email to say all internships were cancelled, but they called me last week to offer a grad role in the same office and line of service my internship would've been in

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending