The Student Room Group

Close Schools/Colleges down for an appropriate amount of time - Petition

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Rock Fan
Central Bedfordshire, even if I get the virus I will get over it the flu two years ago was far worse

okay cool if this does not concern you then don't get involved. You may not care about catching the virus good for you but the rest of us do which is why we want to close schools down. I know for sure having the flu for 2 weeks is extremely uncomfortable and even less beneficial for the economy if 60% of the population aren't able to go to school or work let alone just closing schools down for the sake of not spreading it further. Sure hospital staff may need to look after their children but that is only a short term downfall compared to when the hospital staff themselves catch the virus and may not go to work weeks on end because of it and would need to self isolate anyway. Think about other people before stating 'I will get over it', yeah okay you will but other people exist in the world x
Original post by Lelux
okay cool if this does not concern you then don't get involved. You may not care about catching the virus good for you but the rest of us do which is why we want to close schools down. I know for sure having the flu for 2 weeks is extremely uncomfortable and even less beneficial for the economy if 60% of the population aren't able to go to school or work let alone just closing schools down for the sake of not spreading it further. Sure hospital staff may need to look after their children but that is only a short term downfall compared to when the hospital staff themselves catch the virus and may not go to work weeks on end because of it and would need to self isolate anyway. Think about other people before stating 'I will get over it', yeah okay you will but other people exist in the world x

I still say it's actually a bigger risk shutting the schools down
Reply 62
Original post by Lelux

Hospital staff? Plus ambulance drivers, police, firefighters, military, care home staff, any workers supporting utilities and communications, pharmacy staff, shop and warehouse workers, delivery drivers... There's a lot of people who would be required to continue in their usual job, so childcare for school closures would be a massive issue.
Original post by Surnia
Hospital staff? Plus ambulance drivers, police, firefighters, military, care home staff, any workers supporting utilities and communications, pharmacy staff, shop and warehouse workers, delivery drivers... There's a lot of people who would be required to continue in their usual job, so childcare for school closures would be a massive issue.

Point I've made as well but people don't seem to get it, plus if they shut the schools all that will happen is kids will roam the streets and gather in shopping centres and retail parks
Reply 64
No. What about those with exams this summer? How can adults be so naive and selfish?
Never said I'd go out if I was unwell

you might be carrying the virus without you knowing.
You can also have mild symptoms like the common cold but its the virus. Going out's gonna spread it to other people.
Point I've made as well but people don't seem to get it, plus if they shut the schools all that will happen is kids will roam the streets and gather in shopping centres and retail parks

Why not stay at home like what they are doing in italy?
If other countries can do it, why can't we?
Original post by Deggs_14
No. What about those with exams this summer? How can adults be so naive and selfish?

public safety and wellbeing > exams
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Treetop321
Mod Edit: For advice, guidance and up-to-date information on Coronavirus/COVID-19, please check out the NHS and UK Government web-pages.

I think this is very important to do. The government doesn't seem to be doing anything and seems to want to wait for the spread of coronavirus to become extremely widespread before doing anything significant. People are at risk and there is very little which is being done at the moment.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/300403

#boristhebutcher
Original post by Deggs_14

Right! This is literally a war between humans and the virus. No one is actually taking it seriously.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-51892402
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
public safety and wellbeing > exams imo

word
Original post by curiousperson123
you might be carrying the virus without you knowing.
You can also have mild symptoms like the common cold but its the virus. Going out's gonna spread it to other people.

I feel absolutely fine so with no rule saying I need to be inside all the time I am not stopping my life and that includes working
I feel absolutely fine so with no rule saying I need to be inside all the time I am not stopping my life and that includes working

Even with no symptoms, you can still carry the virus man

hi, that selfish mentality is most likely what got us into this situation in the first place. people who could care less about the health of others because they’re ‘seemingly fine’. self isolate and shut up, don’t risk killing people because you think you’re above everyone else.
Reply 74
Original post by Surnia

Yet my point again. All of these public sector workers are more at risk with their children going to school due to an increased chance of them catching the virus themselves and thus an even greater strain on the nhs and the economy would go into long term depression if all these workers aren’t able to go to work anymore and even higher amounts of deaths. It’s how virus’s spread believe it or not.
Original post by tacobeth
hi, that selfish mentality is most likely what got us into this situation in the first place. people who could care less about the health of others because they’re ‘seemingly fine’. self isolate and shut up, don’t risk killing people because you think you’re above everyone else.

How about **** off I'm expected to be in work still my boss has made it clear they are not shutting unless the government say otherwise I'm not I'll I feel perfectly fine how is it selfish going to work
I'm a college student and I really think closing down schools/colleges is honestly a really, really bad idea. Especially considering the nature of our milestone end of year exams, i.e. GCSEs and A-Levels.

This has been pointed out before, but a lot of parents work in the public sector, which includes NHS staff, as well as police officers, ambulance drivers, paramedics etc. If schools close, they'll have to take time to look after their children, which by default increases pressure on the NHS and public services. Not only that, but you also have to recognise the financial impact. I'm not an economist, but by logic if people are taking time to look after their kids, then surely they aren't earning money, and if they're not earning money, then they can buy as much/invest as much, which has a toll on businesses/companies, especially the smaller businesses.

You also have to think about exams lol. Some schools have already finished their syllabus, whilst others haven't and are still covering it. If you close schools, that will inevitably put some students at a disadvantage. It is not selfish for Year 11/13s to want to get exams over and done with. They have taken a drastic, terrible toll on our mental stability and general wellbeing. It is not selfish and I don't think it's fair to accuse people.

Whilst I think schools will eventually close, I think the government's plan, which is backed by SCIENCE and RESEARCH, holds value. Close schools just before the peak, to reduce the risk of isolation fatigue. People will get tired and bored of being under quarantine/under isolation. If you do it too early, you risk people getting tired too early and start coming out at peak. So instead of 1-2 months, it only ends up 2-3 weeks.

What I think is selfish however is students, especially GCSE/A-Level students who claim they want school to be closed for 'health' and 'safety' reasons, but deep down their intentions say otherwise. This is a minority, but still, they exist.
Reply 77
Original post by Lelux
Yet my point again. All of these public sector workers are more at risk with their children going to school due to an increased chance of them catching the virus themselves and thus an even greater strain on the nhs and the economy would go into long term depression if all these workers aren’t able to go to work anymore and even higher amounts of deaths. It’s how virus’s spread believe it or not.

And my point is that there are still essential jobs to be carried out, and not just in the public sector. Who will do them if working parents are having to stay at home? And what about childless people who have had contact with schoolchildren indirectly; should they all stay at home too?
Original post by 999tigger
Your petition
We would like the government to at least consider closing schools/colleges down in the coming weeks or as soon as possible, in addition to taking necessary actions to prevent further spread. [They are already considering it and if they deem it will help and the pros outweigh the cons, then they will do so. They already have a four point action plan aimed at containment, slowing, providing public advice on how to protect yourself, and finding a vaccine]

Literally came here to say this. Petition is stupid. Asking the government to at least consider closing schools implies they weren't considering it already. It's pretty obvious that it has been considered, even if the decision they came to was not the one some people wanted. This achieves precisely nothing.
Reply 79
Original post by tacobeth

Do you think you'll be out of self isolation this year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending