The Student Room Group

Got caught trying to cheat turnitin! Helppp!!!

Hi,

i'm at college and i basically found a technique on google where u can cheat turnitin. what it does is it put a hidden letter at the start of each word so even tho the words look correctly spelt there is a hidden letter which mispells them but u cant see it. The problem i didnt realise is one teacher caught me somehow and now i need a really good excuse to get out of it as i have a disciplinary meeting. Has anyone ever been in this situation, if so how did u get out of it.

PS: I dont need comments telling me i shouldnt have tried cheating turnitin and done original work. Im already aware of that.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There is no good excuse. Be an adult and accept your punishment. Your college will see through any bull**** you present to them.
Yes i am open to admitting what i did but as ****ty and bad as this sounds i was thinking of saying that i was stressed and depressed(in fairness i was very stressed) with other stuff etc and thats why i did it. im hoping my teacher will have some sympathy and punish me lightly. Still considering if its a good idea tho....
Bro you're not getting out of this one :laugh: sorry
Reply 4
Original post by geeko123456
Yes i am open to admitting what i did but as ****ty and bad as this sounds i was thinking of saying that i was stressed and depressed(in fairness i was very stressed) with other stuff etc and thats why i did it. im hoping my teacher will have some sympathy and punish me lightly. Still considering if its a good idea tho....

it's fair enough to be stressed and have crappy mental health; trust me, I know, I suffer from it too. But better to admit those things during the writing period and not after you've been caught cheating...
yh but its not easy to admit stuff like that anyway.....
BILLNYE- I know i've ****ed it, really hoping coronavirus shuts college down this week.
Reply 7
yh but its not easy to admit stuff like that anyway.....

no, it's not. But if you don't admit them, you don't get the help you need and deserve, and end up in a situation like this.
Hi,

i'm at college and i basically found a technique on google where u can cheat turnitin. what it does is it put a hidden letter at the start of each word so even tho the words look correctly spelt there is a hidden letter which mispells them but u cant see it. The problem i didnt realise is one teacher caught me somehow and now i need a really good excuse to get out of it as i have a disciplinary meeting. Has anyone ever been in this situation, if so how did u get out of it.

PS: I dont need comments telling me i shouldnt have tried cheating turnitin and done original work. Im already aware of that.

Honestly the funniest thread all day.
On the good side it is only college.
Without the hidden characters were you actually plagiarising?

I could give some defences but ultimately they wouldnt succeed. The thing is it is like double cheating so much more serious than if you had plagiarised alone. Depends partly on your college, but they could easily kick you off the course or out of college. A final warning would be very lenient although they may take into account your age and IQ.

Just to add if its a btec, then a full fail like this will mean its impossible to complete the qualification, so a fail by default. I dont think stress and depression even of the most severe kind will get you out of it, even with a GP note. The way you attempted to cheat was so much worse than just copying a book. At some stage you thought it was a good idea?
(edited 4 years ago)
im considering just owning up cos they will probs just limit some grades, but i feel like using my stresses as a reason will mitigate the punishment to just getting a pass in that unit and not others.
BILLNYE- I know i've ****ed it, really hoping coronavirus shuts college down this week.

Just wanted to say that I didn't see your post about your mental health before I posted - I think my point still stands - you probably will still be punished, but if you tell them about your mental health, it may not be as bad. But I agree with what @Airmed has said.
Saying you’re stressed/depressed/anxious is still not even an excuse nowadays to get out of things.
I'll be honest i may be exagerating the mental health part a little, but if playing the victim card will mitigate the circumstances to just getting capped in that unit then i would not care about exagerating it. Its a doggy dog world.
I thought that I was being really clever, but I now realise and accept that I was being anything but?

Your best chance of a 'least worst' outcome is to show insight and contrition, not try to make excuses for doing something which you knew to be in contravention of your college's regulations.

When in a hole, stop digging is a very useful saying to remember in many situations and this is almost certainly one of them.
I'll be honest i may be exagerating the mental health part a little, but if playing the victim card will mitigate the circumstances to just getting capped in that unit then i would not care about exagerating it. Its a doggy dog world.

Bro don't lie about your mental health. If this was genuinely the reason for it - if you genuinely couldn't cope with everything due to your mental health, then sure, tell them. Don't exaggerate just to get out of being punished, if it was actually nothing.
Own up to it my dude, if you already got caught then you’ll just end up digging yourself into a deeper hole if you lie. Good luck ✌🏻
Damn! Im really stuck between two minds now. The digging a deeper hole point has shifted me the opposite way. All i need is for college to just get shutdown my teacher will forget about it after a few weeks.
Damn! Im really stuck between two minds now. The digging a deeper hole point has shifted me the opposite way. All i need is for college to just get shutdown my teacher will forget about it after a few weeks.

I’m hoping college closes too because I have an exam on Friday, but everyone corrects me when I say that and they tell me it won’t close for 3-4 weeks, so it’s time to face the music bro
The thing is if the punishment is just getting capped grades in that unit then i can accept that, but if it affects other units and my place at college(which i doubt it will) then that's whats making me want to lie.
Stress was a factor tho. i aint lying about that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending