The Student Room Group

Corona Virus or A

Mod Edit: For advice, guidance and up-to-date information on Coronavirus/COVID-19, please check out the NHS, UK Government, and Mind (mental health) web-pages.

Hello all idk what to do. I am studying SQA higher exams and have assignments due and to be done this upcoming week. However i spoke to NHS over the symptoms of the Corona and told me to self isolate for a week. If i have a spanish speaking and Modern studies right up this week will i lose the marks if I dont go to school?
(edited 4 years ago)
I can't comment on what will happen regarding your exams, but make sure you do not go into school, even if you have exams. Tomorrow morning, call your school (as obviously they will need to know that you won't be in for a week), but also see if you can talk to / email the exams officer / your teachers, and see what they say about your exams.
Original post by Bill Nye
I can't comment on what will happen regarding your exams, but make sure you do not go into school, even if you have exams. Tomorrow morning, call your school (as obviously they will need to know that you won't be in for a week), but also see if you can talk to / email the exams officer / your teachers, and see what they say about your exams.

I understand what your saying however I need the assignments to be able to get a good exam mark. The fact the SQA havent said anyhting about missing assignments is annoying asl
If you’ve been told not to go into school don’t go, just phone your school and see if they can get hold of your exam board to explain the situation. I can guarantee you won’t be the only one in this situation, good luck with everything :smile:
Absolutely. That is the instruction coming from government. Ofqual must have contingency plans for exactly this type of scenario. I can’t see anyone being penalised for following government instructions.
Original post by SamMaddox201X
I understand what your saying however I need the assignments to be able to get a good exam mark. The fact the SQA havent said anyhting about missing assignments is annoying asl

I have to be honest - I'm not familiar with the scottish education system, but is there any way in which the assignments can be submitted over email or something? I understand that it's annoying, but SQA will likely have a plan on how to deal with situations like yours, even if they haven't said anything about it yet. Like I said before, if you contact the exams officer, they may have more information. But PLEASE do not go into school - you could be putting peoples lives in danger. I can say for a fact that there are people at your school who have asthma, other underlying conditions, or who live with elderly relatives, who could be affected by COVID-19 much more severely than you may be. Even if you do not have the virus, it is simply not worth the risk.
Original post by SamMaddox201X
Hello all idk what to do. I am studying SQA higher exams and have assignments due and to be done this upcoming week. However i spoke to NHS over the symptoms of the Corona and told me to self isolate for a week. If i have a spanish speaking and Modern studies right up this week will i lose the marks if I dont go to school?

:wavey:
Definitely stay at home and phone the school.

In extenuating circumstances like these you can get an extension to the SQA deadlines for assignments, but your school will need to contact them to request this.

Don't panic, and keep following the NHS self isolation guidance :smile:
Original post by Bill Nye
I have to be honest - I'm not familiar with the scottish education system, but is there any way in which the assignments can be submitted over email or something? I understand that it's annoying, but SQA will likely have a plan on how to deal with situations like yours, even if they haven't said anything about it yet. Like I said before, if you contact the exams officer, they may have more information. But PLEASE do not go into school - you could be putting peoples lives in danger. I can say for a fact that there are people at your school who have asthma, other underlying conditions, or who live with elderly relatives, who could be affected by COVID-19 much more severely than you may be. Even if you do not have the virus, it is simply not worth the risk.

I'm a Scottish student! For some like subjects like English, for example, you could send it to your essays to your teacher by email, but for others like chemistry, biology, geography (ones I've done) and probably modern studies it is done timed and under exam conditions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending