The Student Room Group

How long will lockdown be for ??

So it’s looking pretty much certain the uk will be locked down with plans to shut non essential business’. Im working full time in a cafe before starting uni next year. I absolutely can’t afford to be off work for more than 2 weeks. I’m saving up a years rent for uni, paying digs and petrol to my mum and need to get a laptop for uni too as I don’t have one at all. I don’t have a clue what I’ll do if this lasts for months

VT Edit: For advice, guidance and up-to-date information on Coronavirus/COVID-19, please check out the NHS, UK Government, and Mind (mental health) web-pages.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Lockdown = x
Original post by StriderHort
Lockdown = x

What
Original post by Caea
So it’s looking pretty much certain the uk will be locked down with plans to shut non essential business’. Im working full time in a cafe before starting uni next year. I absolutely can’t afford to be off work for more than 2 weeks. I’m saving up a years rent for uni, paying digs and petrol to my mum and need to get a laptop for uni too as I don’t have one at all. I don’t have a clue what I’ll do if this lasts for months

we might be on world lock down for a year to probably 2 years idk..................... hope u find a place to live best wishes!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smile:
Original post by Voss12560
we might be on world lock down for a year to probably 2 years idk..................... hope u find a place to live best wishes!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smile:

It’s definitely not going to be that long
Original post by Caea
What

It's means we don't know. No one here does.
Original post by Caea
It’s definitely not going to be that long

probably we dont know
Original post by Caea

It isnt here yet and it all depends how things develop.

Lockdown may or may not involve cafes.

I think 4-6 weeks minimum, but possibly 4 months as well. Everything is up in the air because they are focused on delaying the virus so that the NHS can cope. If things get out of hand, then uni could be postponed as well.

Your other issue is the cafe could go bust or you could be laid off. Lots of people will be in a similar position and those who want total lockdowns dont mention the economic impact.
probably we dont know

It’s not possible to lockdown the world, the economy, careers and studies for two YEARS
Original post by Caea
It’s not possible to lockdown the world, the economy, careers and studies for two YEARS

omg people read the whole god damn text i did i said "it will probably be a world shut down for 1-2 years!!!!!!!!!!" read before u type
Original post by 999tigger
It isnt here yet and it all depends how things develop.

Lockdown may or may not involve cafes.

I think 4-6 weeks minimum, but possibly 4 months as well. Everything is up in the air because they are focused on delaying the virus so that the NHS can cope. If things get out of hand, then uni could be postponed as well.

Your other issue is the cafe could go bust or you could be laid off. Lots of people will be in a similar position and those who want total lockdowns dont mention the economic impact.

Sorry if I sound selfish, but I feel like I (and probably everyone) will go absolutely insane if I stuck indoors for 4 months. I know it’s vital for reducing the peak long-term, but imagine the amount of people with mental health issues who can’t bear it. That’s probably a bit dramatic, but I feel like any solution to this will have its negative effects :frown:
Reply 11
How much of a lockdown is really possible though? Lots of people still need to do their jobs such as the NHS, police, fire, army, navy, air force, water, power, ISPs, farms, logistics personnel, food shops etc. With all these people still going out and doing their thing, does the benefit to a total lockdown for an extended period of time really do much good? A short term lockdown does help to buy you time to get more equipment and reduce the flow through hospital doors, but do it for too long and you will cause untold damage to businesses and the enconomy, not to mention education.
Original post by Talon
How much of a lockdown is really possible though? Lots of people still need to do their jobs such as the NHS, police, fire, army, navy, air force, water, power, ISPs, farms, logistics personnel, food shops etc. With all these people still going out and doing their thing, does the benefit to a total lockdown for an extended period of time really do much good? A short term lockdown does help to buy you time to get more equipment and reduce the flow through hospital doors, but do it for too long and you will cause untold damage to businesses and the enconomy, not to mention education.

Hard to know what peoples version of a lockdown is. China can impose a lockdown and keep all but emergency services indoors as it is an authoritarian state. UK isnt like that and the govt will try to keep the virus down, the economy going and society functioning.

They will want to keep the essential services going plus the economy.
Lots of businesses will be asking staff to work from home and using skype meetings etc.

Cant remember which countries but the ban on social meetings has been as low as 5 and as high as 500.

Besides the people who catch it then people who suffer will be:

Service industries, most retail, pubs, clubs, cinemas, restaurants, self employed, zero hour workers. Lots of bankruptcies on the horizon. It is a unique event for modern times. Vaccine will be 12-18 months away.
omg people read the whole god damn text i did i said "it will probably be a world shut down for 1-2 years!!!!!!!!!!" read before u type

I’m sorry but what are you talking about. What do you think a world shut down is
Original post by Caea
I’m sorry but what are you talking about. What do you think a world shut down is

a world shut down is where the government of every state shuts down the state
Reply 15
Original post by caea
it’s definitely not going to be that long

i hope not!
Original post by Caea

VT Edit: For advice, guidance and up-to-date information on Coronavirus/COVID-19, please check out the NHS, UK Government, and Mind (mental health) web-pages.

www.esquire.com/uk/life/amp31915611/coronavirus-timeline/
I read this article and it was very interesting. It talks about the potential impact of this virus throughout the next months/years.

This is total nonsense. The lockdown will probably be until the end of April at the earliest and the start of June at the latest.
I think around 3 weeks until the end of April.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending