The Student Room Group

UCD or RCSI for Medicine?

I recently got an offer to study UCD that I should respond to before my interview with RCSI. I’m in a dilemma because even if I choose RCSI there’s no guarantee I’d get an offer after interview. Regardless, which program is stronger for an international applicant? I’m aware that I won’t be able to train in Ireland, and therefore would need to apply for residency programs elsewhere, like North America. Which med school would allow me a better chance of matching abroad? And what are the overall advantages and disadvantages of studying at both places? I’ve been told that UCD has stronger facilities, but that RCSI has a better standard of education and is right at the center of Dublin. I’d appreciate some further insight, thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Based on what I've been told, UCD has better international relations and most students end up in the best unis in the US. The hospitals of UCD have better locations and are closer to the uni. I think living in downtown Dublin would be very costly so I'd rethink RCSI. I got an offer from UCD too, but I won't be accepting because its too costly..
Original post by yadig?
Based on what I've been told, UCD has better international relations and most students end up in the best unis in the US. The hospitals of UCD have better locations and are closer to the uni. I think living in downtown Dublin would be very costly so I'd rethink RCSI. I got an offer from UCD too, but I won't be accepting because its too costly..

do you have other offers? also thanks for this, do you have any idea if either of the two would prepare an international student better for residency abroad? i’ve been told RCSI is more internationally recognized and i’m not sure if that’s a factor i should consider
Original post by desperateintl
do you have other offers? also thanks for this, do you have any idea if either of the two would prepare an international student better for residency abroad? i’ve been told RCSI is more internationally recognized and i’m not sure if that’s a factor i should consider

I did my interview with the Associate Dean and he started showing my statistics about UCD, So he showed me where most of the graduates end up and most end up in the best unis in the US. I don't know much about RCSI though. I'm most probably getting an offer from NUIG by the end of this week.
I got offers from UCD as well as RCSI. During my interview with RCSI, I was told that 100% of the students who applied to the States after their degree had got in. However, I am still planning on going to UCD. Have you made a decision yet?
Original post by yadig?
I did my interview with the Associate Dean and he started showing my statistics about UCD, So he showed me where most of the graduates end up and most end up in the best unis in the US. I don't know much about RCSI though. I'm most probably getting an offer from NUIG by the end of this week.

Did you make a decision yet?
Original post by swaaatiii

I think if I end up going to Ireland, I'll choose NUIG. But I'm not really sure if I'm going to Ireland yet. However, I also asked a friend who studies in NUIG and she told me that many Irish students transfer from UCD to NUIG and say it's much better at NUIG. I don't know the exact reason why but that's what she told me.
Reply 7
Hey, can you tell me when and where your interview was and on which day you got an offer ?
Original post by _karen_
Hey, can you tell me when and where your interview was and on which day you got an offer ?

for which uni?
Reply 9
Original post by yadig?
for which uni?

Sorry, probably should have mentioned that, for UCD
Original post by _karen_
Sorry, probably should have mentioned that, for UCD

I did my UCD interview on February 22, and got an offer on March 1.
Reply 11
Original post by yadig?
I did my UCD interview on February 22, and got an offer on March 1.

Alright, thank youu. My interview with the Associate Dean was on Feb 21st and he told me to expect an offer in the mail within a week but I haven't received anything yet
Original post by _karen_
Alright, thank youu. My interview with the Associate Dean was on Feb 21st and he told me to expect an offer in the mail within a week but I haven't received anything yet

Oh, Did you try emailing them? And is UCD your first choice?
Hi anyone got in Trinity for medicine? Anyone can share info about how’s their alumni acceptance in US?
oh. Hmm I’m probably still going to UCD. But let’s see.
Reply 15

Hi, even I have got offer from ucc & Rcsi . I am confused as well. What have you decided?
Reply 16
Original post by yadig?
I think if I end up going to Ireland, I'll choose NUIG. But I'm not really sure if I'm going to Ireland yet. However, I also asked a friend who studies in NUIG and she told me that many Irish students transfer from UCD to NUIG and say it's much better at NUIG. I don't know the exact reason why but that's what she told me.

Which one have you decided? I saw your posts in uclan as well
Original post by _karen_

Heyy. Did you hear back yet?
Original post by Kvishnu
Which one have you decided? I saw your posts in uclan as well

I didn't decide anything yet. :biggrin: I'm skeptical about Ireland because the internship opportunities are really low. So, I applied to UniSR in Milan, and Jagiellonian Univ in Poland, and I have an offer for foundation at Cardiff through study group. I'm looking through my options and I hope I can decide soon..;
Reply 19
Heyy. Did you hear back yet?

Nope, I emailed them and they said that their reply might be delayed due to the current situation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending