The Student Room Group

Does anyone feel the same way about apprenticeships?

Throughout my time at school, all of the teachers constantly told us that apprenticeships are a great option and that there are loads of opportunities. I've been looking for apprenticeships for after my a levels for about five months and there are about 200 in my area, most of which are really low level ones that I wouldn't ever do. The rest of them are just engineering apprenticeships which I don't study. Essentially I feel mislead because there none that I like the look of and now I can't even go to uni. Anyone else found this?
A lot of apprenticeships are in large cities with multinational companies (especially post a level). Students usually move out for uni, so I think the same is expected of apprentices.
Reply 2
Original post by hannahgeo123
A lot of apprenticeships are in large cities with multinational companies (especially post a level). Students usually move out for uni, so I think the same is expected of apprentices.

I live in Oxford so I expected it to be a hot spot for apprenticeships.
Original post by TBBG
I live in Oxford so I expected it to be a hot spot for apprenticeships.

What kind of apprenticeship are you looking for? Most of them are concentrated in London, Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds, Newcastle etc, but there are occasionally regional ones. These are sometimes not advertised on big sites though. I guess commuting from oxford to London is a reasonable option?
Original post by TBBG
Throughout my time at school, all of the teachers constantly told us that apprenticeships are a great option and that there are loads of opportunities. I've been looking for apprenticeships for after my a levels for about five months and there are about 200 in my area, most of which are really low level ones that I wouldn't ever do. The rest of them are just engineering apprenticeships which I don't study. Essentially I feel mislead because there none that I like the look of and now I can't even go to uni. Anyone else found this?

Hi there,

Hoping I can help.

Depends on a lot of things really such as the specific type of apprenticeship you would like to do and if it's available as a higher or degree level apprenticeship to start with.

Location and how far you can travel can open up or narrow down opportunities as well.

I appreciate you are doing a level 3 qualification now with your A-levels but there's actually nothing wrong with starting an apprenticeship at level 3 with the view to progress to higher levels upon completion.

It would be great to hear back from you with a little more about what you would ideally like to do as part of an apprenticeship.

Thanks - Sophie.
I would strongly recommend contacting some of these companies about unpaid work experience.

Apprenticeships are about building and shaping individuals to roles, therefore it’s more about interpersonal skills than academic skills on application.

You may benefit from learning more about the different roles involved, allowing you to narrow down or broaden your interests.
Original post by TBBG

Hi TBBG,

Could you let me know more about careers you are looking into, if you are having trouble finding suitable apprenticeships, I am able to help you. I feel that there are massive amounts of apprenticeships in almost all sectors so if you let me know what you are looking for, I can be of assistance.
Original post by TBBG

If you are looking for higher level apprenticeships have a look on Higher Education sites like UCAS, they have loads of info on Degree level apprenticeships!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending