The Student Room Group

Two critically endangered white Giraffes killed in Kenya

Now i'm not usually one to support the death penalty but i really wouldnt mind seeing those responsible tied to the front of a cannon and shot.

Two extremely rare white giraffes have been killed by poachers in north-eastern Kenya, conservationists say.
Rangers had found the carcasses of the female and her calf in a village in north-eastern Kenya's Garissa County.
A third white giraffe is still alive. It is thought to be the only remaining one in the world, the conservationists added.
Their white appearance is due to a rare condition called leucism, which causes skin cells to have no pigmentation.
News of the white giraffes spread across the world after they were photographed in 2017.

The manager of the Ishaqbini Hirola Community Conservancy, Mohammed Ahmednoor, said the two killed giraffes were last spotted more than three months ago.
"This is a very sad day for the community of Ijara and Kenya as a whole. We are the only community in the world who are custodians of the white giraffe," Mr Ahmednoor said in a statement.
"Its killing is a blow to the tremendous steps taken by the community to conserve rare and unique species and a wake-up call for continued support to conservation efforts," he added.
The poachers have not yet been identified, and their motive is still unclear.
The Kenya Wildlife Society, the main conservation body in the East African state, said it was investigating the killings.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-51816083

Scroll to see replies

So if there's one left they're basically pretty much extinct... :frown:
I have no issues with shooting poachers. Live by the gun, die by the gun.
Reply 3
I'd never heard of giraffe poachers, what do they poach them for?
Original post by z-hog
I'd never heard of giraffe poachers, what do they poach them for?

Probably their skins.
Reply 5
Original post by DiddyDec
Probably their skins.

Maybe. After all, I see no evidence of any poaching other than what 'conservationists' say, two carcasses have been found and the alleged poachers' motives are 'unclear'. This is a consequence of the dumbing down of News these days, every title or header has to be double-checked for substance and this is one of them. From the article, there's no evidence of any poaching despite the headline.
Original post by z-hog
Maybe. After all, I see no evidence of any poaching other than what 'conservationists' say, two carcasses have been found and the alleged poachers' motives are 'unclear'. This is a consequence of the dumbing down of News these days, every title or header has to be double-checked for substance and this is one of them. From the article, there's no evidence of any poaching despite the headline.

The carcasses where skeletons when they were found so it isn't possible to say what they took but it is possible there were signs of poaching.
The animals look kind of cool but giraffes aren't endangered, and these animals where not a different species they just have a condition called leucism. The only value they really have is to humans as a spectacle just like white lions, so objectively poaching these giraffes is just as bad as poaching any giraffe. So nice fake news there.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by angelike1
So if there's one left they're basically pretty much extinct... :frown:

No they arent extinct because they arent a separate species from normal giraffes they are simply a giraffe with a genetic defect
That's cruel man :frown:
I'm vegan, but why should these two animals lives be worth more than those of other members of their species because one specific allele (or however many alleles it is) that produces a superficial change in them?
II'm sorry but. When it comes to Africa I can't be fussed about the animals. The issues in Africa's human population is a big enough stain on my brain lol. Like literal gun-wielding Liberian cannibals and prepubescents openly addicted to narcotics.
Reply 12
Original post by awkwardshortguy
I'm vegan, but why should these two animals lives be worth more than those of other members of their species because one specific allele (or however many alleles it is) that produces a superficial change in them?

Doesnt that rather presuppose people dont care about normal giraffes being killed? Something i havent found to be the case. It just happens these two were an exceptionally rare variation on them.
Original post by Napp
Doesnt that rather presuppose people dont care about normal giraffes being killed? Something i havent found to be the case. It just happens these two were an exceptionally rare variation on them.

Would you have made this thread if these two giraffes weren't the particular colour they were? Would the article you quoted have been written? People are only giving a **** because of what wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation these animals reflected, similar to how people only give something close do qualifying as a **** about an individual animal's life when someone has seen fit to include it's name on the Endangered list. It's not the way things should be, but it is clearly the way it is.
Reply 14
Would you have made this thread if these two giraffes weren't the particular colour they were? Would the article you quoted have been written? People are only giving a **** because of what wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation these animals reflected, similar to how people only give something close do qualifying as a **** about an individual animal's life when someone has seen fit to include it's name on the Endangered list. It's not the way things should be, but it is clearly the way it is.

You sound like you need to take a few deep breaths on the matter.
Original post by Napp
You sound like you need to take a few deep breaths on the matter.

The word is just ****e without the e. I say it all the time.

You sound like you need to actually address my points.
Reply 16
The word is just ****e without the e. I say it all the time.

You sound like you need to actually address my points.

That's nice?
Go ahead and make some then.
Original post by Bang Outta Order
The issues in Africa's human population is a big enough stain on my brain lol.

Somehow I doubt you are unable to feel for the sympathy for the plight of the world's animals because you are too busy thinking about people in Africa.
Original post by Napp
That's nice?
Go ahead and make some then.

I have. You just refuse to respond to them because you know how preposterous it would be for you to claim you wouldn't have made this thread if the animals in question weren't a funny colour, and because you know how preposterous it is that people go from giving absolutely zero ****s about a specific animal being killed to thinking

Original post by Napp
Now i'm not usually one to support the death penalty but i really wouldnt mind seeing those responsible tied to the front of a cannon and shot.

when that animal's name crops up on a list.
Reply 19
I have. You just refuse to respond to them because you know how preposterous it would be for you to claim you wouldn't have made this thread if the animals in question weren't a funny colour, and because you know how preposterous it is that people go from giving absolutely zero ****s about a specific animal being killed to thinking

when that animal's name crops up on a list.

Are you trying to accuse me of err 'animal racism'? :rofl:
At any rate, i'm not responding to your "point" because its ridiculous. As is all this perverse vegan proselytizing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending