The Student Room Group

Tory government simply not bothered enough to act

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Not to agree with the others posts comment too much but there have been a not insignificant number of younger, or otherwise healthy, people being felled by the bug.
Reply 41
This is the reports coming out of italian hospitals and the like (never mind the Chinese examples) I'm merely saying that whilst it's a fact young healthy people tend to not get hit particularly badly by it this is not a universal truism. and there have been documented cases of a healthy young chap walking in the front door and leaving via the back.
Maybe the lockdown itself wasn't the problem? Maybe people didn't follow it? Maybe it was implemented too late?
Except lockdown has apparently worked it countries that actually implemented it early and effectively.
Give them a chance it hasn't even been a week yet!
Nearly, apologies but give them a chance say 1 month
Reply 46
No. Italy went into full lock down on the evening of Monday 9th March. Prior to midnight Sunday 8th only a few towns were in lockdown.
Omg this hotchoc person is like 1v200 with his ignorant opinions, plz ignore him everyone.
Original post by WIGBLOWN
Omg this hotchoc person is like 1v200 with his ignorant opinions, plz ignore him everyone.

Just what I was about to say, I've seen her everywhere just chatting nonsense about coronavirus. Seems like she's trying to downplay everything, maybe so she doesn't stress herself out, but all she's achieving is coming across as completely ignorant and unwilling to reason with facts and evidence.
(edited 4 years ago)
The purpose of lockdowns and isolation is to flatten the curve, spread cases out so they are few and far between so hospitals don't become overwhelmed with too many cases to handle at current capacity (see China and Italy).
No, plenty of serious cases have affected younger people, and it really doesn't matter how old the person was. The previous government strategy of herd immunity without a vaccine would have overwhelmed the NHS and killed thousands: as they are now admitting (250k at a best case scenario). So, wind your neck in, admit you were wrong and stop simping for a government that is insane and incompetent
Original post by Quady
No. Italy went into full lock down on the evening of Monday 9th March. Prior to midnight Sunday 8th only a few towns were in lockdown.

Which with an incubation period of 3-5 days means we should start to see a slowing of new cases about now.
Not strange for countries where most live in abject poverty with no access to healthcare on even orders of magnitude below the scale needed.

The hundreds of millions who live in ghettos and in poor rural communities will be decimated. Governments of these countries need to manage information as much as the virus (which will run rampant through densely packed populations). This attempts mitigating panic or risks ensuing full breakdown of law and order as people riot and kill each other to gain access to food and supplies hoarded by the more well off.
There's some evidence that the virus doesn't cope well with hot, humid environments. However, the UK and other countries affected are not hot or humid countries, meaning that is of no use for disease control here. Now, are you going to admit you were wrong or are you going to continue to lie and post nonsense?
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
There's some evidence that the virus doesn't cope well with hot, humid environments. However, the UK and other countries affected are not hot or humid countries, meaning that is of no use for disease control here. Now, are you going to admit you were wrong or are you going to continue to lie and post nonsense?

lol said this to them on another thread
The nonsense you were spewing was suggesting that that's of any relevance for the UK because we do not have a hot or humid climate, and no, 17-22 degrees is not hot.
Reply 56
Which with an incubation period of 3-5 days means we should start to see a slowing of new cases about now.

Aye, assuming no travel or folk living together
Reply 57
Ok so I live in one of the UK's largest cities. Between number four and number seven depending on your source.

It didnt hit a high of 25C on any day in April in either 2018 nor 2019. Didnt even make 24C on any day then either. 23C for a day yup. Mostly 16-17C. Similar to Italy at the moment.
Reply 58
I live in Glasgow.

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/uk/glasgow/historic?month=4&year=2019

April last year a high for the month of 23°C was reached on the 22nd.

In April 2018 a high for the month of 19°C was reached on 19th.

Or can you demonstrate I'm wrong and actually Scotland was baking? When do you expect 25°C to be reached here?

Trust me, 25 is tapps aff weather.

It took a while in China and they had things locked down much more effectively and rapidly than in Italy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending