The Student Room Group

Private Eduction Funding

In September I'm going to do a private eduction course in manchester, the course will cost £7200 and I'm not sure if I can get a government grant to cover any cost as I'll also need to fund living in manchester as well for 3 months, any advice or information appreciated
Original post by nouni4me
In September I'm going to do a private eduction course in manchester, the course will cost £7200 and I'm not sure if I can get a government grant to cover any cost as I'll also need to fund living in manchester as well for 3 months, any advice or information appreciated

What kind of course is it? I'm guessing it's not a standard undergraduate or postgraduate degree...

Saving sounds like the best option, although you really need to assess the value for money of the course too.
Reply 3
Original post by PhoenixFortune
What kind of course is it? I'm guessing it's not a standard undergraduate or postgraduate degree...

It's a fast track to coding course ran by a company called North Coders,
https://northcoders.com/developer-pathway
The prospects of the course seem promising and it will get me into the industry much quicker than university.
Reply 4
Original post by RogerOxon
Saving sounds like the best option, although you really need to assess the value for money of the course too.

96% of people who complete the course are placed in jobs within a month, savings is unfortunately not an option due to my lack of them so I'll have to take a credit card or loan out in order to cover the cost.
96% of people who complete the course are placed in jobs within a month, savings is unfortunately not an option due to my lack of them so I'll have to take a credit card or loan out in order to cover the cost.

That sounds like a marketing number, and doesn't indicate if they actually earn more because of the qualification. I would doubt that a (assumed) 3 month course is going to make anyone that much more employable. Buyer beware.

IMO, it's dangerous to have so much debt without a decent job.
Reply 6
The end goal of the course is not to get a qualification as this can simply be achieved through cheaper online courses but to get the skills required to jump straight into the industry of development, a lot of the people who take the course have already been through university and amassed student debt before starting the course just for their employment scheme at the end.
The end goal of the course is not to get a qualification as this can simply be achieved through cheaper online courses but to get the skills required to jump straight into the industry of development, a lot of the people who take the course have already been through university and amassed student debt before starting the course just for their employment scheme at the end.

So which course is it exactly? Who's the provider and what's it called?

Good luck getting credit without a job
Reply 9
So which course is it exactly? Who's the provider and what's it called?

The course is called Developer Pathway and its ran by a company called north coders, the course is split into modules for the fundamentals, front end then back end finishing with a group project phase that is then presented to potential employers.
Reply 10
Original post by Hippokrates
Good luck getting credit without a job

The last resort is to use the finance options that north coders provide, the aim of this thread is to search alternative options rather than jumping straight into potentially more expensive finance options. I have the option of taking out a loan through my parents who have jobs, then I'd pay them back over an extended period of time however; this is potentially a more expensive route.
The course is called Developer Pathway and its ran by a company called north coders, the course is split into modules for the fundamentals, front end then back end finishing with a group project phase that is then presented to potential employers.

You won't be eligible for government Student Finance, so unless you can get a job and save, or ask family for financial help, then you're only other option is private loans (like Future Finance) - but remember, these charge much higher interest and you must pay them back straight after completion, with or without a job.
Reply 12
You won't be eligible for government Student Finance, so unless you can get a job and save, or ask family for financial help, then you're only other option is private loans (like Future Finance) - but remember, these charge much higher interest and you must pay them back straight after completion, with or without a job.

Thank you for your help, I appreciate it :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending