The Student Room Group

Coronavirus and looking after your mental health

Infectious disease outbreaks, like the current Coronavirus (Covid 19), can be scary and can affect our mental health. There is lots of speculation and rumour out there, and it can be difficult to look after ourselves mentally as well as physically during times like these.

Do you have any tips or advice for anyone struggling with their mental health due to the Covid-19 outbreak?

If you are looking for some support more immediately, Mind and The Mental Health Foundation have some really good advice if you are struggling to cope with the current situation. Student Minds also have some excellent resources if you're a University student.

Some tips they've provided are:

Trying to avoid speculation, and always looking up reputable sources when reading about it

Try manage how you read about the outbreak in the media and try to limit your news intake if it's making you stressed

Follow you normal routine as much as possible

What are your tips? Why not put them below and we can support each other :hugs:

Check out our article made up of your tips here!
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

If you're socially distancing, try keeping in touch with people by video call and messaging still - it can be easy to let this slide with everything else going on, but it's important to make time for it, especially if you live alone!
Original post by shadowdweller
If you're socially distancing, try keeping in touch with people by video call and messaging still - it can be easy to let this slide with everything else going on, but it's important to make time for it, especially if you live alone!

That's really good advice - I think video is really important if you can, otherwise you can go a while without seeing a face!

:hugs:
For me obsessing over the news and social media reporting stuff exacerbated my psychosis and I think there is healthy and unhealthy levels of watching news etc.
sunlight really helps my mental health - going out in the garden/on the balcony/etc. If you don't have access to the outdoors, maybe trying to keep your curtains/windows open when possible.

looking after something - whether a pet or a potted plant - helps too. cacti are good as they're pretty hard to kill (although I've murdered about 4 by now.)

A journal or planner can help with feelings of low motivation - both in helping you plan for the days ahead, and by noting down the things you've done you can feel proud of your achievements.
Reply 5
Can certainly agree that taking in too much of the news is having an impact on my mental well-being.

On a positive note, I've got some work done today and basically everyday since I've been back home from uni (term has finished). Have also been watching stuff on Youtube, Futurama on Prime Video and listening to Spotify to keep myself occupied for the day which has helped. As for the uni side of things, I'm not too concerned and contingency measures are being put in place but I think uni society's are coming up with ways of interacting online and stuff which would be great. :smile:
If working from home keep in touch with colleauges, I know i will miss the office banter.
Honestly this is affecting my MH, one thing about bpd is hating the grey in things or not being able to see them. Hence why all this non concrete and rapidly changing news is very stressful for people with PDs. Things need to be one way or another so this grey area is really stressing me out.
As of right now, all uni face to face classes are cancelled and the final year show is cancelled (not postponed). Whilst other people are affected worse than this and i recognise this im really upset about it tbh. Have overcome a lot and fought through MH issues just to get to this point of being in final year almost graduated. The fact we cant show off our products and everything has gone wrong at the last minute is really upsetting.
Original post by Noodlzzz
For me obsessing over the news and social media reporting stuff exacerbated my psychosis and I think there is healthy and unhealthy levels of watching news etc.

My parents have been watching BBC News 24/7 lately and I've barely seen anything at all on there that isn't about the corona virus. It is definitely stressing me out more than it should be.
Remembering that we're all in the same boat and stuck at home so it's a good time to reach out to people because they are probably lonely too. Make use of technology (video calls, messaging). Try and not watch the news too often/ read media articles. Maybe just stick to advice from WHO.
Original post by GreenCub
My parents have been watching BBC News 24/7 lately and I've barely seen anything at all on there that isn't about the corona virus. It is definitely stressing me out more than it should be.

Same here. My mum's getting more anxious because she's in the category of people that will suffer severely from this virus. I even spoke to her yesterday and told her she needs to turn it off, because it's not helping anyone. I wake up and it's all I hear, I go to sleep and it's all I hear.
My mum barely leaves the house anyways because of her conditions, so I told her it's not going to be much different, except I'll be home more - so it could be a bit worse!

Have a word with your parents. Try and suggest you all go for walks together now, in spaces without a large amount of people. I've started doing that with my mum, because it helps me too, so you should try it!
Original post by Noodlzzz

Yeah, watching the news is pretty scary :frown: I'm sorry it's had such an effect on you. The info in the Mind link at top may be helpful if you have to isolate for any reason :heart:

Take care :hugs:

Original post by ravenwing
sunlight really helps my mental health - going out in the garden/on the balcony/etc. If you don't have access to the outdoors, maybe trying to keep your curtains/windows open when possible.

looking after something - whether a pet or a potted plant - helps too. cacti are good as they're pretty hard to kill (although I've murdered about 4 by now.)

A journal or planner can help with feelings of low motivation - both in helping you plan for the days ahead, and by noting down the things you've done you can feel proud of your achievements.

You're so right - sunlight is really important!

I have also murdered many plants, but have a peace lily on the go that hasn't given up yet so fingers crossed!

This is all such great advice :heart:

Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
Can certainly agree that taking in too much of the news is having an impact on my mental well-being.

On a positive note, I've got some work done today and basically everyday since I've been back home from uni (term has finished). Have also been watching stuff on Youtube, Futurama on Prime Video and listening to Spotify to keep myself occupied for the day which has helped. As for the uni side of things, I'm not too concerned and contingency measures are being put in place but I think uni society's are coming up with ways of interacting online and stuff which would be great. :smile:

Well done for getting some work done! :hugs:

Funny stuff is great for taking your mind off it, I've been binge watching Modern Family which is really helping me. I love Futurama, what a great idea!

Hopefully your uni societies have come up with something :smile:

Original post by Andrew97
If working from home keep in touch with colleauges, I know i will miss the office banter.

Me too! It's not quite the same over Teams as it is seeing @Evil Homer, @Puddles the Monkey and @BlinkyBill everyday :hugs:

Original post by CoolCavy
Honestly this is affecting my MH, one thing about bpd is hating the grey in things or not being able to see them. Hence why all this non concrete and rapidly changing news is very stressful for people with PDs. Things need to be one way or another so this grey area is really stressing me out.
As of right now, all uni face to face classes are cancelled and the final year show is cancelled (not postponed). Whilst other people are affected worse than this and i recognise this im really upset about it tbh. Have overcome a lot and fought through MH issues just to get to this point of being in final year almost graduated. The fact we cant show off our products and everything has gone wrong at the last minute is really upsetting.

I'm so sorry to hear that lovely :frown: I hope that you can still get all your work done ok and submitted - it's such a shame to hear that everything has been cancelled and not postponed :hugs:

Original post by GreenCub

I think news 24/7 would affect anyone :frown: I hope you can get a break from it and go and do something you enjoy - the Mind advice in the OP is so helpful :hugs:

Original post by Skeletonclique21
Remembering that we're all in the same boat and stuck at home so it's a good time to reach out to people because they are probably lonely too. Make use of technology (video calls, messaging). Try and not watch the news too often/ read media articles. Maybe just stick to advice from WHO.

Wonderful advice :heart:

Original post by MartinisSkip
Same here. My mum's getting more anxious because she's in the category of people that will suffer severely from this virus. I even spoke to her yesterday and told her she needs to turn it off, because it's not helping anyone. I wake up and it's all I hear, I go to sleep and it's all I hear.
My mum barely leaves the house anyways because of her conditions, so I told her it's not going to be much different, except I'll be home more - so it could be a bit worse!

Have a word with your parents. Try and suggest you all go for walks together now, in spaces without a large amount of people. I've started doing that with my mum, because it helps me too, so you should try it!

I'm so sorry to hear about your Mum :frown: It sounds like you've come up with a great coping strategy, and we're all here for you if you need us :heart:
I am really scared and struggling. But what worries me more is the fact that so, so few people actually have it in this country when you think about the population as a whole, and things are already this bad. I can't stop thinking about how bad it might be if it spreads a lot more .. which we're being told it will.
Original post by StrawberryDreams

I'm so sorry to hear that lovely :frown: I hope that you can still get all your work done ok and submitted - it's such a shame to hear that everything has been cancelled and not postponed :hugs:

Thanks Strawberry :hugs:
Thus far the report and portfolio deadlines we have still stand, i have my 117 page portfolio ready to submit almost (just need to do a few tweaks) so at least that is something i can definitely do :redface:
Apparently there was a miswording of the graduation email (this is just word of mouth so am waiting for concrete info) saying it's cancelled rather than postponed so hopefully that is true, the final year show is definitely off but hopefully we will get a ceremony somehow.
I'm also worried about getting meds because i have to see the GP face to face so if everything goes kaput idk how that will pan out :redface:
It feels so isolated out here as well, least i have my little furry dude with me and obviously everyone on here is in the same boat
Hope you are doing good :hugs: don't overstrain yourself because you seem prone to illnesses as it is :hugs:
I've seen a couple of coronavirus mental health videos in my YouTube recommendation. I haven't checked them out because I don't feel like it would be necessary for me at the moment, but I can share their links below :smile:

Dealing with CORONAVIRUS ANXIETY (COVID-19) by Kati Morton: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMOhYAubXG0
8 Books for Coronavirus Anxiety by The Rewired Soul: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO7bvoDND2o
11 Corona Virus Facts That Will Calm Your Anxiety by The Rewired Soul: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_zv3r_2waU
Coronavirus Social Distancing: How it Affects Depression and Anxiety by The Rewired Soul https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_JP-XyTYyw
Coronavirus Chronicles: Tips on Social Distancing But Staying in Touch, Prevent Social Isolation by Modern Aging - Holistic Health and Wealth After 50: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WrcY4SLFrA
Reply 15
Keeping in a routine is really important for me. Making sure that the first thing I do in a morning is get up, get changed, and overall make myself feel a bit more human is critical in setting myself up for a good day. It really decides how the rest of the day will pan out.

It can be really hard sometimes, but one little step to make yourself feel good in the morning is sometimes enough motivation to keep on going and getting on with the day.
Original post by StrawberryDreams
Infectious disease outbreaks, like the current Coronavirus (Covid 19), can be scary and can affect our mental health. There is lots of speculation and rumour out there, and it can be difficult to look after ourselves mentally as well as physically during times like these.

Do you have any tips or advice for anyone struggling with their mental health due to the Covid-19 outbreak?

If you are looking for some support more immediately, Mind and The Mental Health Foundation have some really good advice if you are struggling to cope with the current situation.

Some tips they've provided are:

Trying to avoid speculation, and always looking up reputable sources when reading about it

Try manage how you read about the outbreak in the media and try to limit your news intake if it's making you stressed

Follow you normal routine as much as possible

What are your tips? Why not put them below and we can support each other :hugs:

Stay away from Facebook! There’s always some horrible story staring you in the face soon as you log on. Never good news always bad.

I know it’s hard staying away from your contacts and favourite groups but FB is not worth the stress and misery from the constant bad news.
Stop listening to the news so often, I beg.
I've always been a bit of a germophobe so this whole situation has made me very anxious. Even at home, I want to wash my hands all the time and I get paranoid about scratching my face (and I always seem to have an itch on my nose or an eyelash in my eye). I'm going crazy!
I’m currently trying to avoid the news, which is difficult since my father insisted on watching it while we ate tea tonight (Fridays are the only day we don’t eat properly at the dining table).

Quick Reply

Latest