The Student Room Group

How to go abroad on your own?

So does anyone have any idea how to go abroad on a student visa and without relying on your parents?
Original post by aanonymous25
So does anyone have any idea how to go abroad on a student visa and without relying on your parents?

By 'relying on your parents' what exactly do you mean? Financially?

If your interested in working sites like WWOOF & WorkAway will provide you with accommodation, food and sometimes wages (depending on where you choose). You can work in hostels and places like that but you can also find placements with families, so it's not so much working in a typical job and more just living and helping a family.
If you're not interested in Working you can also use CouchSurfing, it's a pretty good one to use. It essentially does what it says, you sleep in someone else's place for a night or two then move on. The great thing about Couchsurfing (the site) is that members can also post meetups, things to do etc. It's a huge community!
While I was working in Zagreb in Croatia there were tons of meetups, someone was even asking on the forum if anyone in Zagreb was interested in taking a road trip with them and a couple of other travellers up to Bosnia. It's a great way to meet other people!
Original post by umbrellala
By 'relying on your parents' what exactly do you mean? Financially?

Yes I mean financially. Like they already did so much for me in the last 18 years, so I want to stand on my own two feet now.
Original post by _caittaylor
If your interested in working sites like WWOOF & WorkAway will provide you with accommodation, food and sometimes wages (depending on where you choose). You can work in hostels and places like that but you can also find placements with families, so it's not so much working in a typical job and more just living and helping a family.
If you're not interested in Working you can also use CouchSurfing, it's a pretty good one to use. It essentially does what it says, you sleep in someone else's place for a night or two then move on. The great thing about Couchsurfing (the site) is that members can also post meetups, things to do etc. It's a huge community!
While I was working in Zagreb in Croatia there were tons of meetups, someone was even asking on the forum if anyone in Zagreb was interested in taking a road trip with them and a couple of other travellers up to Bosnia. It's a great way to meet other people!

Often student visas will limit the hours you're allowed to work so you need to be careful! I'm on a student visa abroad at the moment and I'm not allowed to work more than 25hrs a week
Original post by _caittaylor

What about the college tuition fees, would working on these sites be enough?
Yes I mean financially. Like they already did so much for me in the last 18 years, so I want to stand on my own two feet now.

Are you planning on studying an undergraduate degree abroad?
Original post by umbrellala
Are you planning on studying an undergraduate degree abroad?

Yes I am thinking about it...
What about the college tuition fees, would working on these sites be enough?

it depends on where you go to study and what placement you would end up choosing. Different countries have different fees, so if you don't have anywhere in particular in mind maybe check out where you can get the right course for you that you can get into with more affordable tuition fees. Obviously, if you choose to work on these sites you get free accommodation, so you could save money through that and a good few provide food as well.
I think in other terms of financial stability it depends on how much you already have saved up yourself, which will obviously help with tuition fees. While you may get some money from working in a placement, you are limited to the max 25 hour work week as it was previously mentioned above. If you know any instruments and would be willing to take them along/buy one over there busking is a great way to get some money as well.
I think your best bet right now is to get a job (if you don't have one already) and try to save as much money as you can, ultimately helping you in the long run. Also, check out scholarships these can give grants, there's a lot of different organisations that will help with funding under education!
Best of luck!
Not sure where you are from and which countries you're eyeing at but I agree with the previous posts, if you're looking into studying, scholarships/funding would be the best option I'd say.

Many universities in Asia/Europe (not UK lol) also have affordable tuition fees so it'll be good to research those schools and see which is in your budget. Maybe also try looking into loans in your country. Some schools, like in the US, also allow you to work within the institution (ex. Libraries, offices) and the pay goes to the tuition fees or something - this can be another option. What I did, personally, was freelance work (graphic and web design) which was very helpful for both uni and travelling for leisure.
Yes I am thinking about it...

In that case your main option is going to be scholarships, most universities have their own finance/loan system too so you should look into that too but how viable of an option that is depends on what it's based on (parent's income or otherwise). There are also some government funding schemes available so really just do a load of research and calculate what your living costs/tuition etc would be. Also if A-Level exams do get cancelled as rumoured, you'll have to inquire with whichever universities you're interested about whether they would still take an application from you. Look into the country's student visa criteria/rules as well to see how much you'll be allowed to work and whether that amount of hours would help cover living costs etc
Depends where. If you are talking about the United States you have had it. Europe, maybe, but honestly studying anywhere while being 100% self sufficient is hard, even as a domestic student with financial aid to help you out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending