The Student Room Group

biology psychology and geography a level

my parents are worried about my future career and think I'm not going to earn enough money from these subjects. what careers are there that are good pay?
Original post by kazzawazza123
my parents are worried about my future career and think I'm not going to earn enough money from these subjects. what careers are there that are good pay?

a lot of people regret taking geography in my school, so if you haven't chosen yet, maybe consider your other options. biology and psychology kinda pair well together, but the career options from these subjects is quite narrow (very science related)
regardless, it matters how much you enjoy these subjects- what career path are you aiming for?

Hi @kazzawazza123,

Currently, I am studying a Bsc(Hons) Geography Degree in my 1st Year. I have studied similar subjects to yourself “Biology, Geography and Business”.

Have you had a looked into any future careers you may be interested in?

For some this a challenging decision, however, from experience, thanks to the help from career advisers and teachers. I have managed to get a general idea of my future career which I want to pursue after university.

It is important to note that for some people, salary may be the most important factor. However, for others, it is achieving the right balance between enjoying the work you do and getting paid a reasonable salary.

Have you thought of discussing your subjects with a careers advisor to see where your subjects can lead you?

This may help put your parents at ease if you find a career path which pays a reasonable salary and is something you enjoy.

Any other questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Best Wishes,

Sam Townsend | BSc(Hons) Geography Student at The University of Huddersfield
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by University of Huddersfield Student Rep
Hi kazzawazza123,

Currently, I am studying a Bsc(Hons) Geography Degree in my 1st Year. I have studied similar subjects to yourself “Biology, Geography and Business”.

Have you had a looked into any future careers you may be interested in?

For some this a challenging decision, however, from experience, thanks to the help from career advisers and teachers. I have managed to get a general idea of my future career which I want to pursue after university.

It is important to note that for some people, salary may be the most important factor. However, for others, it is achieving the right balance between enjoying the work you do and getting paid a reasonable salary.

Have you thought of discussing your subjects with a careers advisor to see where your subjects can lead you?

This may help put your parents at ease if you find a career path which pays a reasonable salary and is something you enjoy.

Any other questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Best Wishes,
Sam Townsend | BSc(Hons) Geography Student at The University of Huddersfield

ah the only problem now is the corona virus, I'm not allowed out the house :frown:
ah the only problem now is the corona virus, I'm not allowed out the house :frown:

Hi, @kazzawazza123,

I understand that the Coronavirus lockdown will have an impact on our day to day lives. However, there are still some great resources online in the meantime.

If you are unsure of what careers you may be interested in, you may want to look at “TheUniGuide” to explore how your A-Levels best match with a degree subject.

https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer

Once you have got a brief idea of the subject you are keen on, you can look it up on the national careers service. This website will give you an average salary range and what steps you need to take for that career path.

https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/explore-careers

I hope some of these tools help you for the time being.

If you have any further question, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Best Wishes,

Sam Townsend | Bsc(Hons) Geography Student at The University Of Huddersfield
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by perplexed turtle
a lot of people regret taking geography in my school, so if you haven't chosen yet, maybe consider your other options. biology and psychology kinda pair well together, but the career options from these subjects is quite narrow (very science related)
regardless, it matters how much you enjoy these subjects- what career path are you aiming for?

Maybe share why they regret taking it. That might be more helpful.

Most people in my school really like geography and some are doing it at university.
as a geography student, i would advise against taking the subject unless you really love it and have a passion for it. it is extremely difficult and requires a substantial amount of work. i achieved an A* in my mock for it, but defo had to put in more work than for bio and chem. if i could go back then i would have picked psychology as my third a level subject, purely as i have heard that it is pretty straight forward and memory based
i do love geography, but it is challenging at a level. part of me is glad that i don’t have to sit a further exam as a consequence of the situation that has occurred, which isn’t necessarily a good thing
maybe start with four subjects? and then see which one you may wish to drop x
Original post by Treetop321
Maybe share why they regret taking it. That might be more helpful.

Most people in my school really like geography and some are doing it at university.

geography is a great subject, do not get me wrong. however, there is so many different strands and can feel endless since it isn’t necessarily made clear by the specification the depth of what is required. also, it is highly independent and the essays require thought and practise, which some individuals struggle with.
Original post by ?Hannah?
geography is a great subject, do not get me wrong. however, there is so many different strands and can feel endless since it isn’t necessarily made clear by the specification the depth of what is required. also, it is highly independent and the essays require thought and practise, which some individuals struggle with.

It might just be how my teachers taught it, but I never found it "highly independent" and a lot of depth was never required. I would say knowing how topics link together helps more as it means you can bring in a lot more examples. That is what requires practise. The coursework is the only part that I would describe as independent (kinda obvious lol) but even then it is just like a scientific report which they've probably done before (although that would have been a lot shorter). The worst part was the timings in the exams.

I do think doing GCSE History helped with the essays as the style was very similar.

Quick Reply

Latest