The Student Room Group

Scottish Schools Closed: How can we help on TSR?

:wavey:

Hi everyone - hope you're all doing okay!

As you've maybe seen, from Friday all of the schools will be shut. The Scottish Government & SQA confirmed today that at this point the exams will still be going ahead. [EDIT: Exams have now been cancelled, as of 19th March]

Obviously it's a stressful time and an unusual situation to be in, so just wanted to ask how we can best help on TSR, specifically here in the ScotQuals forum, which I look after as part of the Volunteer Team?

Would you like to see threads for virtual study groups? Or advice for studying from home? What would help you best prepare for the exams??

I've already made some threads for sharing resources in (please share any you have- we need everyone pitching in for them to work!)

For advice, guidance and up-to-date information on Coronavirus/COVID-19, please check out the NHS, UK Government, and Mind (mental health) web-pages.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Pogchamp. However, what about our exams??
Original post by Kubsyy
Pogchamp. However, what about our exams??

They're still on - statement from Scottish Government & SQA available here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6402876
But I thought NS had said that no-one should expect the schools to open before the summer vacation! So what, exams are going ahead with zero further teaching or preparation?

Jesus...
Original post by Reality Check
But I thought NS had said that no-one should expect the schools to open before the summer vacation! So what, exams are going ahead with zero further teaching or preparation?

Jesus...

Agree it's not ideal...Equally though, there are only 15 school days before Scottish exams start (due to Easter holidays) so while those can be crucial, most students should have at least completed their courses :redface: ...Yep, SQA exams are still going ahead.
Original post by Labrador99
Agree it's not ideal...Equally though, there are only 15 school days before Scottish exams start (due to Easter holidays) so while those can be crucial, most students should have at least completed their courses :redface: ...Yep, SQA exams are still going ahead.

Yes, I suppose if there's only two weeks left, it's not quite so bad. But still...this will send a few students in a spin, won't it? So unfair on them.
Yes, I suppose if there's only two weeks left, it's not quite so bad. But still...this will send a few students in a spin, won't it? So unfair on them.

Yeah, definitely - particularly for everyone who will find studying at home difficult for one reason or another...It won't be the same, but hopefully we can at help everyone at least a little on here :smile:
Yeah, definitely - particularly for everyone who will find studying at home difficult for one reason or another...It won't be the same, but hopefully we can at help everyone at least a little on here :smile:

I think this is a great thread - well done :smile: As you probably know, I was ST in SH for a while, and I'm always happy to help out with ad hoc SH queries or more general content generation as required. Just give me a shout if you need me.
Reply 8
Great idea and good initiative !!
I am fuming, I had so much left to do at school and in the end it appears I have graduated a month early...
Currently doing Adv H Chem bio maths and crashing physics - Any resources or tips will be great !!! -if anyone has notes or matrices Or differential equations will be appreciated!
I think this is a great thread - well done :smile: As you probably know, I was ST in SH for a while, and I'm always happy to help out with ad hoc SH queries or more general content generation as required. Just give me a shout if you need me.

Thanks Reality Check - don't think we've ever spoke but know you by reputation (mean that in a good way!) so appreciate you saying that :smile:
Thanks Reality Check - don't think we've ever spoke but know you by reputation (mean that in a good way!) so appreciate you saying that :smile:

I'm really glad you put that bit in :laugh:

No problem - hope I can help in some way in the coming weeks. :smile:
I'm really glad you put that bit in :laugh:

No problem - hope I can help in some way in the coming weeks. :smile:

:lol:

We haven’t finished operations unit in business which is funny
Reply 15
Original post by Kubsyy
We haven’t finished operations unit in business which is funny

You're not alone. I believe my brother has only finished one of his five Higher courses. If these exams do go ahead (which isn't certain until the announcement tomorrow), the SQA ought to make significant allowances for this, as well as impact on study time due to isolation, illness, etc.
Original post by ROC10
(which isn't certain until the announcement tomorrow)

The Scottish Government chaired the meeting today which announced they would be going ahead :smile:
Reply 17
The Scottish Government chaired the meeting today which announced they would be going ahead :smile:

I appreciate that but there is to be an announcement tomorrow so I'm guessing there is still more information to come.
Can understand people's concerns about marks being lower etc. due to incomplete courses/less teacher direction :sadnod:

Keep in mind though that the entire cohort is being impacted in that everyone's going to be at home. Obviously there's people who will work better at home, and people who it will make things difficult for (which is the tricky bit to account for in this)...But, if there is an overall drop in the marks being achieved in any exam, remember that the grade boundaries will be changed to reflect this. Hope this helps calm any worries on that front :smile:
Original post by ROC10
I appreciate that but there is to be an announcement tomorrow so I'm guessing there is still more information to come.

I don't think it's too likely they'll cancel them tomorrow so soon after the announcement today, but they definitely do need to give some more info on what support they'll be giving in terms of how young people will still get free school meals, looking after kids so that critical people can keep working, etc. That's my guess anyways, but hopefully they'll confirm everything tomorrow :smile:

Edit: With the UK Gov announcement, who knows what he'll say tomorrow now :s-smilie:
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending