The Student Room Group

Cambridge or JHU?

I'm going to study Chemical Engineering in JHU, or Natural Science in Cambridge. I'm wondering which one would be better. Seems like Cambridge's more prestigious and higher-ranked. But it also feels as if JHU was harder to get into...
Original post by greatrr
I'm going to study Chemical Engineering in JHU, or Natural Science in Cambridge. I'm wondering which one would be better. Seems like Cambridge's more prestigious and higher-ranked. But it also feels as if JHU was harder to get into...

You are correct. JHU has a 13% acceptance rate while the University of Cambridge has a 21% acceptance rate. So you are more likely to get into Cambridge than JHU from the beginning. JHU is ranked around 17th while Cambridge is ranked 7th globally. So going by rankings and acceptance rates, Cambridge is Better.
Cambridge is also significantly cheaper too. I am assuming your are a UK student, in which case Cambridge would be a bargain compared to JHU. If you are a non-UK student, Cambridge would still be the overall better option in terms of price,ranking and education quality.
JHU would be worth considering if you are planning to work in the US or with an American company. Otherwise there seems to be very few benefits if your alternative is Cambridge.
Reply 2
Original post by Jamie Townsend
You are correct. JHU has a 13% acceptance rate while the University of Cambridge has a 21% acceptance rate. So you are more likely to get into Cambridge than JHU from the beginning. JHU is ranked around 17th while Cambridge is ranked 7th globally. So going by rankings and acceptance rates, Cambridge is Better.
Cambridge is also significantly cheaper too. I am assuming your are a UK student, in which case Cambridge would be a bargain compared to JHU. If you are a non-UK student, Cambridge would still be the overall better option in terms of price,ranking and education quality.
JHU would be worth considering if you are planning to work in the US or with an American company. Otherwise there seems to be very few benefits if your alternative is Cambridge.

Thank you! I'm a non-UK student. Though I expect to work in the US, maybe I can attend Cambridge(I consider myself academic and Cambridge seems more appropriate) as an undergraduate and later apply to US Universities as a postgraduate. Cambridge also saves time and money, which indeed matter!

Just because a university has a lower acceptance rate doesn't mean it's harder to get into. It could be due to the university's prestige or their standard offers etc.
Original post by Knortfoxx
Just because a university has a lower acceptance rate doesn't mean it's harder to get into. It could be due to the university's prestige or their standard offers etc.

it is the opposite i.e. Lower acceptance rate = harder to get into.

By definition 'Acceptance rate is the rate at which applicants are accepted. It is calculated by dividing the number of accepted students by the number of total applicants. For example, if College A has 100,000 applicants and accepts 5,000 students, their acceptance rate is 5% '

Prestige mosty affects the cost of tuition as people are willing to pay more to be associated with the University. Though it also contributes to the number of applicants in it's own way.
Acceptance rate is limited by the number of students each degree programme can accommodate. In most cases acceptance rates are low simply because there are too many students applying. For example, if a university can only accept 2000 students and exactly 2000 students apply and get accepted, then the acceptance rate is 100%. Therefore it can be said that it was very easy to join this university.
But if the same university gets 10000 applicants, then the acceptance rate will drop to only 20%. Therefore it can be said that it is hard to join this university.
it is the opposite i.e. Lower acceptance rate = harder to get into.

By definition 'Acceptance rate is the rate at which applicants are accepted. It is calculated by dividing the number of accepted students by the number of total applicants. For example, if College A has 100,000 applicants and accepts 5,000 students, their acceptance rate is 5% '

Prestige mosty affects the cost of tuition as people are willing to pay more to be associated with the University. Though it also contributes to the number of applicants in it own way.
Acceptance rate is limited by the number of students each degree programme can accommodate. In most cases acceptance rates are low simply because there are too many students applying. For example, if a university can only accept 2000 students and exactly 2000 students apply and get accepted, then the acceptance rate is 100%. Therefore it can be said that it was very easy to join this university.
But if the same university gets 10000 applicants, then the acceptance rate will drop to only 20%. Therefore it can be said that it is hard to join this university.

However, students who aren't close to reaching the standard offer for a university won't bother applying. It's also worth considering that some students won't apply to a university based on the atmosphere at that university. As a result, acceptance rates do not account for who decides to apply to a university, and cannot be used to determine which university is more difficult to get into.
Original post by Knortfoxx
However, students who aren't close to reaching the standard offer for a university won't bother applying. It's also worth considering that some students won't apply to a university based on the atmosphere at that university. As a result, acceptance rates do not account for who decides to apply to a university, and cannot be used to determine which university is more difficult to get into.

What i can tell you is that the number of students applying for universities have increased but the number (not percentage) that gets accepted has remained more or less the same.
This means that more students are applying for universities but less and less students are getting accepted. Based on this information,we can say that acceptance rate is lowering.

With regards to the theme of this thread, here is the official data from Cambridge.Cambridge application and acceptance.
The graph at the bottom clearly shows, that even though the number of applicants steadily increases, the number of students accepted is more or less the same.

Therefore, acceptance rate does actually show, how easy or difficult it is to be accepted to a university.
(edited 4 years ago)
What i can tell you is that the number of students applying for universities have increased but the number (not percentage) that gets accepted has remained more or less the same.
This means that more students are applying for universities but less and less students are getting accepted. Based on this information,we can say that acceptance rate is lowering.

With regards to the theme of this thread, here is the official data from Cambridge.Cambridge application and acceptance.
The graph at the bottom clearly shows, that even though the number of applicants steadily increases, the number of students accepted is more or less the same.

Therefore, acceptance rate does actually show, how easy or difficult it is to be accepted to a university.

But that doesn't actually address anything I said? If students choose to not apply to a university based on the standard offer, they aren't included in the statistics. So it's more or less impossible to know. For example, St Andrews has a 9% acceptance rate. Is St Andrews the most competitive uni in the country? No. They get that many applicants because university in Scotland is free for Scots. Hence why all Scottish unis have such low admissions rates.
Unfortunately the statistics only includes students who have applied. It is not possible to know how many students were thinking of applying but decided not to.

If students choose not to apply to a particular university then yes, they are not included in the application statistics for that particular university. But they end up in the application statistics of whatever other university they apply to.

Acceptance rates simply shows how your chances of getting accepted are statistically. I guess you can interpret it as' low acceptance rate = high competition' and vice versa.
Reply 9

I'm also wondering if the college I chose will affect the degree awarded. Does it matter? Say, will a degree at Trinity be different from others?
Yes and no.
The Fundamental knowledge for each profession are the same.
The differences will be your minor/specialization.
There will also be differences in the name of the subjects taken by you throughout your studies depending on the University. Some universities will offer general Mathematics, but another university might call it '' Mathematics for Engineers' or ' Numerical Chemistry' but you learn more or less the same things.
Finally the pathway to achieving your final degree. Some universities will have a research heavy approach while others will focus mostly on the theoretical aspects with a only the minimum mandatory practical hands on classes.
It is also worth noting that Trinity college of Cambridge goes as far as giving you two different methods of joining their Chemical Engineering program:
Natural Sciences or Engineering, while other universities wont have this option.
These are some of the main differences I can think of at the moment
Yes and no.
The Fundamental knowledge for each profession are the same.
The differences will be your minor/specialization.
There will also be differences in the name of the subjects taken by you throughout your studies depending on the University. Some universities will offer general Mathematics, but another university might call it '' Mathematics for Engineers' or ' Numerical Chemistry' but you learn more or less the same things.
Finally the pathway to achieving your final degree. Some universities will have a research heavy approach while others will focus mostly on the theoretical aspects with a only the minimum mandatory practical hands on classes.
It is also worth noting that Trinity college of Cambridge goes as far as giving you two different methods of joining their Chemical Engineering program:
Natural Sciences or Engineering, while other universities wont have this option.
These are some of the main differences I can think of at the moment

He means between the actual colleges of Cambridge i think

I was actually wondering about the high acceptance rate and asked a question on this site. I just finished my undergrad in the US so I know it seemed like JHU is harder to get into than Cam, but that's not the case. Someone else explained this to me under my question, but essentially from my understanding, in the UK there is a process of pre-selection prior to an application is made. You are only allowed 5 choices for prospective schools, so nobody actually applies to Oxbridge unless they have a real chance. There are several other reasons why the acceptance rate of Cambridge seems high, and if you are interested you could go under my question or google it. In summary, it wouldn't be fair to compare Cambridge's acceptance rate to any US schools, and Cambridge may actually be far more selective than JHU to get into.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending