The Student Room Group

Now, the gcse and a-level exams are cancelled....

What is going to happen? I know that no one knows the answer to this, but I am just really stuck in a sad mood right now. I don't know what to do, I don't know whether to revise or take a break and use this time to do what I want. I don't want to get my teacher prediction as my GCSE grade but I also don't want the GCSE exams to end up happening as I would have forgotten everything.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Marmaris
What is going to happen? I know that no one knows the answer to this, but I am just really stuck in a sad mood right now. I don't know what to do, I don't know whether to revise or take a break and use this time to do what I want. I don't want to get my teacher prediction as my GCSE grade but I also don't want the GCSE exams to end up happening as I would have forgotten everything.

Take advantage of the opportunity that this extended wait allows you. Revise.
Reply 2
I’m in the same boat, but with A-levels. I have been doing them for three years now, so I’m sad that I wont be able to prove that it was worth taking an extra year and sabotaging my mental health.I don’t really know what to do either - I am self isolating atm, but once the 14 days are over, do I just go full time at work till I know whats going on? Can I even go full time, seeing as I work in a hotel that caters mainly for business men/women who are all now working at home? Do I continue to study even though it may be for nothing? So many questions.Its a very uncertain time, and you are definitely not alone in that feeling - we are all in the same boat, so whilst we don’t know whats going on, we are all unsure together, which is some what comforting. Its not quite so comforting that even BoJo doesn’t know what is going to happen, but we’ll just have to wait and see.In your case, I recon its worth taking a break. Perhaps console your knowledge once a week or so, just incase exams do come back, but also spend this time to do something you enjoy. I’ve started baking again; something I haven’t had the time for since before GCSEs. It’s a strange time, so take the advantage to do something that will get you out of the pit of sadness and confusion.It’s also worth talking to your teachers about how you’re feeling - they won’t know what to do, but it’ll help get stuff off your chest.
Reply 3
is this only for GCSEs or IGCSEs as well bc our teacher told us the current statement from Cambridge and Edexcel is that they will go ahead with the June 2020 series
Reply 4
Original post by Marmaris

Continue revising and learning as normal whilst awaiting final details of the plans.
Reply 5
Original post by 201340
is this only for GCSEs or IGCSEs as well bc our teacher told us the current statement from Cambridge and Edexcel is that they will go ahead with the June 2020 series

It was announced tonight that both GCSEs and A-Levels are cancelled. I assume that means all boards. Although, it is uncertain at the moment. When did your teacher tell you this - if it was before 5pm, things have changed and it is now all exams
Reply 6
universities are probably gonna be overfilled
how is it gonna work
Reply 7
Original post by Raph720
It was announced tonight that both GCSEs and A-Levels are cancelled. I assume that means all boards. Although, it is uncertain at the moment. When did your teacher tell you this - if it was before 5pm, things have changed and it is now all exams

its not all exams edexcel and cie for IALs and IGCSEs current statement is that its still happening i just found out again like today morning
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by 201340
its not all exams edexcel and cie for IALs and IGCSEs current statement is that its still happening i just found out again like today morning

They made their statement saying they agree with the government
Reply 9
Original post by luizaodonelly2
They made their statement saying they agree with the government

ahh so its for everyone not only uk? where did u find the statement btw
Are all exams cancelled for the entire year?
So are igcses cancelled or not ???
what about edexcel ial guys?
Just keep going as if they are still going to be held. Chances are plenty of other people will be revising, having been given extra time to do so, and so the grade boundaries for the exams, if and when they finally roll around, will be quite high.
Original post by 201340

https://help.cambridgeinternational.org/hc/en-gb/articles/360006532458-Novel-coronavirus-Information-for-schools-about-the-COVID-19-coronavirus-outbreak

No CIE for international students will go on, and this is confirmed news after johnson's statment
Reply 15
In my country the Government isn’t allowing any exams to be taken before June. Whether it’s CIEs or any other exam. And my school gave the students home mock exams and the parents are our exam invigilators. And honestly we could use this time to do more revision and enjoy imprisoned life as well .
NO!!! they've literally been cancelled and its been announced that they will not happen this year... don't revise what is there to revise for - do stuff you have always wanted to do. ik there's not much fun stuff we can do as basically everything is cancelled and we are all v sad but we might as well make the most of what we've got but yeah this whole situation is crazyyyy
Original post by 201340

This is what Edexcel IGCSE have said

International Centres (not including UK)
COVID-19 (Coronavirus) update
Last updated: 18 March 2020

A number of countries around the world have announced closures to schools in light of the COVID-19 outbreak. As you know, we’ve been monitoring the ever-changing global situation and the potential impact. As part of this, the UK Government has announced that UK schools will close this week and that exams will not be held in May and June.

Given the challenging circumstances we all currently face, Pearson accepts this decision. Our focus is now on supporting learners in all countries to achieve the qualifications they need to progress to the next stage of their lives.

We are working around the clock with the Department for Education, Ofqual and the other awarding bodies to understand the detail of this decision and will share information with you as soon as we can.

This is an unprecedented global situation and we understand that it could cause uncertainty and worry for learners and teachers alike, but please bear with us. We will update you here on the website as soon as we have more information to share.

Thank you for your patience until we can bring more updates to you. We hope you and your families keep safe and well.
Original post by eggtart
universities are probably gonna be overfilled
how is it gonna work

same with sixth forms! My teacher told me today that we will be able to go to whhichever sixth forms we have applied to, but so many have been over subscribed. i am also hoping to go to a grammar sixth form which relied on grades... any incline into what might happen?
So

Original post by luizaodonelly2
This is what Edexcel IGCSE have said

International Centres (not including UK)
COVID-19 (Coronavirus) update
Last updated: 18 March 2020

A number of countries around the world have announced closures to schools in light of the COVID-19 outbreak. As you know, we’ve been monitoring the ever-changing global situation and the potential impact. As part of this, the UK Government has announced that UK schools will close this week and that exams will not be held in May and June.

Given the challenging circumstances we all currently face, Pearson accepts this decision. Our focus is now on supporting learners in all countries to achieve the qualifications they need to progress to the next stage of their lives.

We are working around the clock with the Department for Education, Ofqual and the other awarding bodies to understand the detail of this decision and will share information with you as soon as we can.

This is an unprecedented global situation and we understand that it could cause uncertainty and worry for learners and teachers alike, but please bear with us. We will update you here on the website as soon as we have more information to share.

Thank you for your patience until we can bring more updates to you. We hope you and your families keep safe and well.

IDK this seems really vague, like it's not a bold statement......They should really make it clear we're already withering away from the stress...

Quick Reply

Latest