The Student Room Group

Talking trash over wearing face masks against coved-19

Today in my local shop I reminded the cashier (a male and female around 50s) to use a face mask to protect self since it is quite dangerous to contact so many people every day. Then they, especially the older male, stared to talk trash to me like go back to my f country etc. I apologized for possibly being rude, but they still didn’t stop and threaten me not to come back..

I don’t think I have done something deserve this. Maybe, in the UK, remind people to wear a face mask is rude...I don’t know. But it has been proved with lives that the face mask works in this case. Why the gov and media never mention that. If British people are not afraid of this virus why I just can’t find any pasta in the markets near me? And I hate rice...

Those trash words just ruined my day. Anyway I will not do something like this but still I will share my spare masks who want to protect themself and others with it.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lewisFreer
Today in my local shop I reminded the cashier (a male and female around 50s) to use a face mask to protect self since it is quite dangerous to contact so many people every day. Then they, especially the older male, stared to talk trash to me like go back to my f country etc. I apologized for possibly being rude, but they still didn’t stop and threaten me not to come back..

I don’t think I have done something deserve this. Maybe, in the UK, remind people to wear a face mask is rude...I don’t know. But it has been proved with lives that the face mask works in this case. Why the gov and media never mention that. If British people are not afraid of this virus why I just can’t find any pasta in the markets near me? And I hate rice...

Those trash words just ruined my day. Anyway I will not do something like this but still I will share my spare masks who want to protect themself and others with it.

You don't deserve racist abuse for this, and I'm sorry that you got that. However, you should mind your own business, and not spread your opinions. The advice that I have seen is that masks are of little to no use for the general population, but they are in very short supply for people that actually need them, so your view is part of the problem.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
I haven't seen one white person wear a mask, just something I've noted.

I wouldn't deign to wear one either, I think they look stupid and don't work well enough.

I'm sorry those people were rude and racist to you, and you certainly didn't deserve it. British people are just unfortunately misinformed about the fact that wearing masks can help to reduce the spread of viruses. Thank you for trying to look out for people.

Original post by Bio 7
I haven't seen one white person wear a mask, just something I've noted.

I wouldn't deign to wear one either, I think they look stupid and don't work well enough.

I'm seeing increasingly more white people wearing them. Still not many, but there are definitely some.
(edited 4 years ago)
Lmao here in HongKong/japan/China EVERYONE wears masks, and these are the countries with slowest growing cases. Discard the NHS advices because they need medical equipments to be supplied to THEM first, the WHO announced few weeks ago, N95, surgical masks demands is 60 folds production rate.
China's "figures"on the growth of it are not particularly meaningful and should be taken with a pinch of salt at this point. It has actively suppressed information since this virus was first identified and it is more interested in saving face and getting its economy back up and running than providing candid figures.
Original post by TCA2b
China's "figures"on the growth of it are not particularly meaningful and should be taken with a pinch of salt at this point. It has actively suppressed information since this virus was first identified and it is more interested in saving face and getting its economy back up and running than providing candid figures.

Not valid argument, unless you are invalidating Japan, South Korea and other Eastern Asia media
Reply 7
Thank you guys for your words that relieves a lot as I was thinking I was wrong. Indeed we should not take the masks like ffp3 or n95 that should be distributed to medic, but the kn95 with a little lower filtering standards than the medical n95 will also help.
We are not likely to be killed by this virus but the “herd immunity” should not be accomplished by the elders
Original post by WIGBLOWN
Not valid argument, unless you are invalidating Japan, South Korea and other Eastern Asia media

I mean if you want to bring up the issue of a "valid argument", you're just committing the post hoc, ergo propter hoc fallacy. The reasons behind the more limited transmission in those countries could be for any number of reasons besides wearing masks alone. And it is certainly a "valid argument" to point out that China's figures are not reliable in the first place.
(edited 4 years ago)
they told you to go back to your country just because you gave them some advice? wtf??
Original post by black tea
British people are just unfortunately misinformed about the fact that wearing masks can help to reduce the spread of viruses.

Stop being xenophobic. Please read the WHO advice, here.

It is a MASSIVE problem that the people that most need masks cannot get enough. YOU are part of the problem.
Original post by RogerOxon

It is a MASSIVE problem that the people that most need masks cannot get enough. YOU are part of the problem.

And how does this contradict what I am saying? A direct quote from your link is "wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing" - do people do this in the UK?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by RogerOxon

So it’s better to get some kn95 other than the medical n95. That can prove enough protection for general people
So it’s better to get some kn95 other than the medical n95. That can prove enough protection for general people

It provides next to none. N95 masks are difficult to fit properly, and non-medical ones typically have exhaust ports that are problematic.
Original post by black tea
And how does this contradict what I am saying? A direct quote from your link is "wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing" - do people do this in the UK?

Apologies if I've stereotyped your opinion. You were replying to a post advocating that someone who was NOT showing any symptoms wear a mask, so I assumed that was your position. Wearing a mask is recommended if you have symptoms, although it's difficult to find any, due to the number of people wearing them without symptoms.

The bias can not be avoid at the present but you can wear a mask within a scarf. Keeping healthy is priority. More and more people recognize people need to wear mask. By the way if you need more masks, I can tell you where to buy them. If you are willing to share the information to your friends, it is better.

I am afraid the majority of face masks don't work. They are only useful if you actually have the virus. These ridiculous cloth masks just harbour germs.

I work frontline nhs and we don't wear masks. We have been asked to wear shields if we are doing invasive stuff but not masks
Original post by squeakysquirrel
I am afraid the majority of face masks don't work. They are only useful if you actually have the virus. These ridiculous cloth masks just harbour germs.

I work frontline nhs and we don't wear masks. We have been asked to wear shields if we are doing invasive stuff but not masks

I think wearing masks work when you meet people who have virus but still have not shown the symptom to keep you could not get virus from them.
Original post by Velvet Wan
I think wearing masks work when you meet people who have virus but still have not shown the symptom to keep you could not get virus from them.

No they dont

And is that because they don't work or because there is a shortage of PPE? I find it hard to believe that you are told not to wear a mask of any kind during procedures that increase your risk of being exposed to virus particles for any reason other than a lack of masks. I know a few people working in different hospitals and they wear respirators for certain procedures and just surgical masks when they are just in contact patients with respiratory symptoms. Even the WHO website says to wear a mask if you are looking after someone with suspected Covid.

No they dont

The do - masks reduce the risk of spreading the virus by someone who is infected.

Quick Reply

Latest