The Student Room Group

Coronavirus and job applications

Hi, anyone have any idea is long it'll take for things to return back to normal etc ? From a jobs/recruitment point of view especially. I'm out of work at the moment (last job woz Temp, had a second stage interview for a Perm job last week, awaiting offer/feedback), recruitment has been hard hit of course as people WFM and yet as you can imagine bills as usual gotta get paid incl. rent. Job seekers allowance is hardly anything in front of rent travel etc in London so I see no point in getting it and I just gotta get myself a Job, but this Coronavirus situation is so inconvenient at a time like this for me (2-3 jobs I applied to got put on hold)...plz help. Thanks. I am so fed up already in all honesty...
Original post by Anonymous370
Hi, anyone have any idea is long it'll take for things to return back to normal etc ? From a jobs/recruitment point of view especially. I'm out of work at the moment (last job woz Temp, had a second stage interview for a Perm job last week, awaiting offer/feedback), recruitment has been hard hit of course as people WFM and yet as you can imagine bills as usual gotta get paid incl. rent. Job seekers allowance is hardly anything in front of rent travel etc in London so I see no point in getting it and I just gotta get myself a Job, but this Coronavirus situation is so inconvenient at a time like this for me (2-3 jobs I applied to got put on hold)...plz help. Thanks. I am so fed up already in all honesty...

Unfortunately it's very challenging to predict what is going to happen and how long this is going to last, but we highly doubt things will get better in a matter of weeks due to imminent lockdown (in speculation at the moment).
A lot of businesses, industries and sectors are affected and you're not the only person in the boat. A lot of people are in the same situation as you.
A lot of businesses have decided to temporary close down now (hospitality and retail so far) to prevent any further spread of the virus.
I don't think there's a lot of people who can help right now as I have said, it's a very challenging time at the moment and everyone is struggling.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by MonsoonFlower
Unfortunately it's very challenging to predict what is going to happen and how long this is going to last, but we highly doubt things will get better in a matter of weeks due to imminent lockdown (in speculation at the moment).
A lot of businesses, industries and sectors are affected and you're not the only person in the boat. A lot of people are in the same situation as you.
A lot of businesses have decided to temporary close down now (hospitality and retail so far) to prevent any further spread of the virus.
I don't think there's a lot of people who can help right now as I have said, it's a very challenging time at the moment and everyone is struggling.

Thanks for that. Am I even meant to bother with job searching then ? Also, any suggestions for the finances ? Thanks, appreciate it.
Thanks for that. Am I even meant to bother with job searching then ? Also, any suggestions for the finances ? Thanks, appreciate it.

The only suggestion I can make is talk to your bank, but I don't think they can be much help either - as I have said most of the population are now out of a job as we speak.
The only suggestion I can make is talk to your bank, but I don't think they can be much help either - as I have said most of the population are now out of a job as we speak.

Wow, does incl. Perm staff ? Or just the temps etc ? I thought most of population r Perm staff so they just WFM or claim SSP (sick pay) ? Thanks
Wow, does incl. Perm staff ? Or just the temps etc ? I thought most of population r Perm staff so they just WFM or claim SSP (sick pay) ? Thanks

Literally EVERYONE in the country is affected regardless if they are permanent, temporary, self-employed/freelance.
Most particularly travel and hospitality industry and that is why there's a controversial uproar against Boris Johnson's 'very clear' message and advice when he urges people to avoid pubs, restaurants, etc when he is not forcing these venues/businesses to close.
These businesses cannot afford to close as they have employees and rent to pay and they will not be able to claim insurance for loss of revenues and earnings.
Also not a lot of people can WFM for example retail and care workers etc and now that schools are closed (except for healthcare workers) it has added unprecedented pressure for parents who have to work to pay the bills.
Therefore there are a lot of knock on effects for the whole population.
(edited 4 years ago)
Literally EVERYONE in the country is affected regardless if they are permanent, temporary, self-employed/freelance.
Most particularly travel and hospitality industry and that is why there's a controversial uproar against Boris Johnson's 'very clear' message and advice when he urges people to avoid pubs, restaurants, etc when he is not forcing these venues/businesses to close.
These businesses cannot afford to close as they have employees and rent to pay and they will not be able to claim insurance for loss of revenues and earnings.
Also not a lot of people can WFM for example retail and care workers etc and now that schools are closed (except for healthcare workers) it has added unprecedented pressure for parents who have to work to pay the bills.
Therefore there are a lot of knock on effects for the whole population.

Thanks.

Just a thought and quite a long shot - try and apply for supermarket chains as they are continuing to struggle with the high and constant demand of panic-buyers stripping the shelves off.
However it is temporary but its well worth a try and you have nothing to lose.
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending