The Student Room Group

Extended essay ideas help!

Desr TSR chemistry community,

As part of my international baccalaireate diploma I have to write a 4000 piece essay on any field in chemistry I like and will research and conduct experimental work. I am interested in the field of Industrial Chemistry but cant seem to fond anything appropriate for small scale projects. Do any of you suggest any ideas??

Thank you so much for your help!
What kinda things in chemistry do you enjoy? Inorganic, organic, physical?
Reply 2
Original post by Chemastronomical
What kinda things in chemistry do you enjoy? Inorganic, organic, physical?

Definitely inorganic!
Original post by chem4life1
Definitely inorganic!

Awesome!

There are plenty of sub fields for inorganic, one area of focus I enjoy is the field of organometallic. Essentially what these are, are compounds with bonds between Carbon and a metal. I highly suggest reading up on them as they're fascinating! there are some experiments you could conduct for it too!
Reply 4
Original post by Chemastronomical
Awesome!

There are plenty of sub fields for inorganic, one area of focus I enjoy is the field of organometallic. Essentially what these are, are compounds with bonds between Carbon and a metal. I highly suggest reading up on them as they're fascinating! there are some experiments you could conduct for it too!

I just read this response! This is amazing! Thank you so much I will definitely research this!!
I just read this response! This is amazing! Thank you so much I will definitely research this!!

Not at all! You can also look into Group theory and Symmetry, as well as catalysis.
Reply 6
Desr TSR chemistry community,

As part of my international baccalaireate diploma I have to write a 4000 piece essay on any field in chemistry I like and will research and conduct experimental work. I am interested in the field of Industrial Chemistry but cant seem to fond anything appropriate for small scale projects. Do any of you suggest any ideas??

Thank you so much for your help!

4000 is a large essay and if you were to start it on a completely new area of chemistry you could find it very challenging. I would suggest picking a topic that will build on existing knowledge with industrial applications.

Do you learn about surfactants? These are extremely important in the personal care industry (shampoo/conditioner/sunscreen/washing liquids/detergents) and would give you a lot to talk about. You can discuss rheology modifiers, chelating agents, and the list goes on!

Catalysis is an excellent topic but you could find yourself exploring some very intricate content to learn what is going on. This easily branches into physical chemistry and would have good breadth but I do think it would be difficult.

You could discuss the role of electrochemical cells in sustainable chemistry. The core principles can be investigated in a school setting (Nernst equation etc).

This is a fine balance of a topic you find interesting enough to write 4000 words about but also a topic that isn't too academically challenging for your current position. It is ultimately about getting a great grade.
Reply 7
Original post by Claisen
4000 is a large essay and if you were to start it on a completely new area of chemistry you could find it very challenging. I would suggest picking a topic that will build on existing knowledge with industrial applications.

Do you learn about surfactants? These are extremely important in the personal care industry (shampoo/conditioner/sunscreen/washing liquids/detergents) and would give you a lot to talk about. You can discuss rheology modifiers, chelating agents, and the list goes on!

Catalysis is an excellent topic but you could find yourself exploring some very intricate content to learn what is going on. This easily branches into physical chemistry and would have good breadth but I do think it would be difficult.

You could discuss the role of electrochemical cells in sustainable chemistry. The core principles can be investigated in a school setting (Nernst equation etc).

This is a fine balance of a topic you find interesting enough to write 4000 words about but also a topic that isn't too academically challenging for your current position. It is ultimately about getting a great grade.

Hey thank you for taking the time to give me so many possible fields I could definitely research about. I was already thinking about electrochemical cells but have not heard about the others, so thank you really much indeed!

I was discussing with my teacher and he told that maybe I could look into silver nanoparticles. What do you reckon?

I would really appreciate your opinion! Thank you again :-)
Reply 8
Hey thank you for taking the time to give me so many possible fields I could definitely research about. I was already thinking about electrochemical cells but have not heard about the others, so thank you really much indeed!

I was discussing with my teacher and he told that maybe I could look into silver nanoparticles. What do you reckon?

I would really appreciate your opinion! Thank you again :-)

Silver nanoparticles sound great! Nanoparticles have huge applications.
Reply 9
Original post by Claisen
Silver nanoparticles sound great! Nanoparticles have huge applications.

Thank you so much :-) I might just go with silver nanoparticles then!

Quick Reply

Latest