The Student Room Group

TSR's One Album a Day Club

Scroll to see replies

Is it only 80s music allowed :hide:
Day two

We currently have four ratings in for Prince's - Purple Rain: 6,6,8,8. Now I'm no mathematician but I'm pretty confident that averages out to a humbling 7/10 for the superstar. If anyone has listened or wants to listen update in here with scores and I will add it to the ratings list!!!

I wanted to try and mix up different eras and genres so will be picking and choosing from our recommendations to make sure we don't get too stuck in one place or time. So although I think this is going to annoy some of you today's pick for Album Of The Day is ........ (drumroll)

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (Warning - Explicit Content)

Spotify link!!!

Obviously I should probably warn people so I don't get in trouble, this has lots of bad language as you can expect, so if this will offend you please skip today and join us tomorrow where we will be going back in time and listening to @AngryJellyfish's Grace Slick - Dreams!!!

Happy listening everybody :biggrin:

P.S Should I start tagging posters in this everyday? If so who wants to be in the quote list?
This will be different. :beard:
Original post by Evil Homer
Day two

We currently have four ratings in for Prince's - Purple Rain: 6,6,8,8. Now I'm no mathematician but I'm pretty confident that averages out to a humbling 7/10 for the superstar. If anyone has listened or wants to listen update in here with scores and I will add it to the ratings list!!!

I wanted to try and mix up different eras and genres so will be picking and choosing from our recommendations to make sure we don't get too stuck in one place or time. So although I think this is going to annoy some of you today's pick for Album Of The Day is ........ (drumroll)

Spotify link!!!

Obviously I should probably warn people so I don't get in trouble, this has lots of bad language as you can expect, so if this will offend you please skip today and join us tomorrow where we will be going back in time and listening to @AngryJellyfish's Grace Slick - Dreams!!!

P.S Should I start tagging posters in this everyday? If so who wants to be in the quote list?

THIS IS A BANGER

Listening now :smile:
Reply 44
Day two

Spotify link!!!

Dark Fantasy
Great intro. Really sums up the theme of the album

Gorgeous
Beautiful production. Really nice track overall and one of my favourites on the album

POWER
I love how it can be interpreted as Kanye showing off and him self loathing and not feeling like he deserves what he has with all the allusion to suicide.

All of the lights
This I didn't like as much but i guess could be Kanye endorsing opening up and showing the repressed feelings that might be expressed in POWER. Rihanna did well on this though.

Monster
Guess this is where he is turning to more of his 'dark' er fantasies. Great features from Rick Ross and Nicki Minaj. Quite the hit.

So Appalled
A real banger and Pusha's verse here is especially good.

Devil in a new dress
I loved this so much. The beat and Rick Ross's verse too were both great.

Runaway
The production on this is exquisite but i think it's a bit overhyped, especially with the calibre of all the other tracks on the album.

Hell of a life
There's just this level of production and creativity you just have to expect in Kanye's discography and it certainly met these expectations. His prediction on who he would marry was semi-true too.

Blame Game
Truly Amazing. Although he did hit me with a curveball by having this deep tone and subject and then going to this hilarious chris rock pocket dial scene.

Lost in the World
Awesome track. It's, production and the way the vocals complement one another so well while it could have easily been a mess is great.

Who will survive in America
It's an outro. Can't say much about it apart from the speech being a good summary to Kanye's concerns about society on his earlier tracks.

Overall, i think this album is great. It really gives you a glimpse of Kanye's psyche and he was probably still troubled after his mother's death two years prior. The imperfections are perfect for the overall theme and are typical in art - there are always going to be parts that some people like and others don't. But in my opinion, this is easily a 10/10
Great thread idea :h:

Purple Rain - Prince

Held a fairly high bar throughout and never dropped off significantly. I like the sounds he creates but it seemed to become a little self indulgent towards the end (I'm looking at the final two tracks specifically). They might work better for me if I watch the film and connect them to that narrative.

Three favourites: Let's Go Crazy, Computer Blue, When Doves Cry.
Overall: 8/10

Will listen to MBDTF tonight.
Day two

Spotify link!!!

Overall, this is a 9/10 for me.

Dark fantasy is amazing, as is POWER and All of the Lights. I loved the interlude on All of the Lights as well, really felt the atmosphere.

Lost in the world was also wonderful.

Wasn't so sure on Blame Game at first, but ended up really liking it.

This is one of his best albums!
Reply 47
I recommend Take Me To The Alley by Gregory Porter next.

Malibu by Anderson.Paak too
Right review time!

Straight off the bat I really wasn't into this, the first track did nothing to give me any enthusiasm and i found the out of tune singing really terrible.

Then the rest of the album happened and I proper got into it! Some of the tracks are absolutely amazing and I'm really glad I gave it a listen, I think I will be listening to this album again even outside of our club :lol:

Overall a solid 7/10 I really enjoyed this!! :biggrin:
I have followed the warning on the label, and advised my parents that naughty words may soon be emanating from my room. Here goes:

Dark Fantasy - Nice intro, but then the lyrics started, and with them far more n-words than I'm comfortable with.

Gorgeous - Sweary man talks fast words over a pleasant enough background track.

Power - I can sympathise with his difficulties opening the vault. I play MTG Arena solidly every day, get in a draft every week or two, and I'm still lucky if I manage to do it once every two months. :moon:

All Of The Lights (Interlude) - 1:02 of violin and piano, now this is more my kind of music. :coma:

All of the Lights - Solid intro, but went swiftly downhill from the moment Kanye started rapping. :noway:

Monster - Why no, I have never had sex with a pharaoh. Kinda liked Nicki Minaj's part, though. :coma:

So Appalled - See song title.

Devil in a New Dress - In all seriousness though, a recurring theme in many of these tracks is references to big brands, places and things specific to the USA, other music artists, as well as sex and drugs... all lost on me. A different world. Doesn't resonate.

Runaway - Intro got my attention back after I phased out half way through the previous song. But after that, same thoughts as above.

Hell of a Life - I think that the instrumental, karaoke versions of a lot of these tracks would make good BGM for PC games, if nothing else.

Blame Game - Somebody wash this man's mouth out with some hand sanitizer! :zomg:

Lost in the World - Hang on, this one literally had no bad language in it! :zomg::zomg: Shame it was a bit boring.

Who Will Survive in America - Now is not a good time to be building new routes to China. :noway:

Overall: Wow. That was a culture shock. Don't know what else to say really. 2 comas out of 10. :coma::coma:
Original post by AngryJellyfish
I have followed the warning on the label, and advised my parents that naughty words may soon be emanating from my room. Here goes:

Dark Fantasy - Nice intro, but then the lyrics started, and with them far more n-words than I'm comfortable with.

Gorgeous - Sweary man talks fast words over a pleasant enough background track.

Power - I can sympathise with his difficulties opening the vault. I play MTG Arena solidly every day, get in a draft every week or two, and I'm still lucky if I manage to do it once every two months. :moon:

All Of The Lights (Interlude) - 1:02 of violin and piano, now this is more my kind of music. :coma:

All of the Lights - Solid intro, but went swiftly downhill from the moment Kanye started rapping. :noway:

Monster - Why no, I have never had sex with a pharaoh. Kinda liked Nicki Minaj's part, though. :coma:

So Appalled - See song title.

Devil in a New Dress - In all seriousness though, a recurring theme in many of these tracks is references to big brands, places and things specific to the USA, other music artists, as well as sex and drugs... all lost on me. A different world. Doesn't resonate.

Runaway - Intro got my attention back after I phased out half way through the previous song. But after that, same thoughts as above.

Hell of a Life - I think that the instrumental, karaoke versions of a lot of these tracks would make good BGM for PC games, if nothing else.

Blame Game - Somebody wash this man's mouth out with some hand sanitizer! :zomg:

Lost in the World - Hang on, this one literally had no bad language in it! :zomg::zomg: Shame it was a bit boring.

Who Will Survive in America - Now is not a good time to be building new routes to China. :noway:

Overall: Wow. That was a culture shock. Don't know what else to say really. 2 comas out of 10. :coma::coma:

hahahahah I'm so sorry I've put you through this :lol:

Hoping for a better experience today!
hahahahah I'm so sorry I've put you through this :lol:

Hoping for a better experience today!

Nothing to apologize for, I'm enjoying trying new things. :biggrin:

Given that my choice is next up, I know I'll have a better experience... at least until I see how other people are rating my tastes in music. :ahee: Though even I'm not sure if I'll give it a 10/10, we'll see.
I know I'm 2 days behind, but I appreciate this ahaha. Listening to the prince album made me realise what the title of "when doves fly" was, cause I could never remember :redface:
Original post by XKangaotiCX
I know I'm 2 days behind, but I appreciate this ahaha. Listening to the prince album made me realise what the title of "when doves fly" was, cause I could never remember :redface:

You can join any time :smile: Nice to have you on board!
Day Three

I will be cleaning up this thread later today to keep on track of recommendations and scores, so keep them coming in, I'm really enjoying this :biggrin: Sorry it's a bit messy but my stoopid day job is getting in the way.

So there were some mixed reactions to yesterday's choice. Now we are going back in time and (hopefully) a little less sweary with our new album choice! Our Album today is .......................

Find it on Spotify here!!!!

I have to be honest I haven't even heard of the artist before so I'm going into this super blind!

No one has said they wanted to be on a quote list so no one is getting quoted!

HAPPPPPPY LISTENING :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Caught up with Kanye...

I enjoyed this as background music?

I think my speakers might have blown - a lot of the music sounded kind of fuzzy, I cant tell if it's intentional or my speakers are damaged :rofl:

Overall I guess it's not really my thing. :getmecoat:

5/10
I have to be honest I haven't even heard of the artist before so I'm going into this super blind!

One half of the band Starship, who sang 'Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now', as well as several bands before that. :yes:
Won't be everyone's cup of tea but... Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I Sit And Think, And Sometimes I Just Sit :smile:
Hello!

I'm back with an update on Grace - Slick Dreams.

This wasn't my cup of tea unfortunately, I loved the actual music but there was something about the singing voice that made it too Disney film motivational music for me, does anyone else get what I mean?

I did absolutely love the Spanish Guitar in El Diablo however and I did really enjoy the track 'Seasons'

Think overall I have to give this a 4/10 I'm afraid. Sorry guys :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest