The Student Room Group

Are you ready to study at home?

Poll

Are you ready to study at home?

Hi guys, given the current Coronavirus situation and the fact that schools are now starting to close by their own accord, we recently asked students studying GCSE, BTEC and A-levels if they had finished learning the content of their subjects ready for the up and coming exams.

83% of all students asked said they had not finished learning their content!

This obviously means that many of you will have to not just have to revise at home, but will still have to be taught at home and learn brand new content while no longer in school.

This obviously brings difficulties and challenges that some students may be better set up to deal with than others. How do you guys think you are set up at home to deal with potentially studying at home?

If your school has shut, or was to shut today do you guys:

Do you have a SAFE & quiet place at home to study?

Do you have all the equipment you need?

Do you have WiFi for accessing online resources?

Are there any other challenges from your own personal situation that mean studying and learning at home will be a major issue for you?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Evil Homer
Hi guys, given the current Coronavirus situation and the fact that schools are now starting to close by their own accord, we recently asked students studying GCSE, BTEC and A-levels if they had finished learning the content of their subjects ready for the up and coming exams.

This obviously means that many of you will have to not just have to revise at home, but will still have to be taught at home and learn brand new content while no longer in school.

This obviously brings difficulties and challenges that some students may be better set up to deal with than others. How do you guys think you are set up at home to deal with potentially studying at home?

Are there any other challenges from your own personal situation that mean studying and learning at home will be a major issue for you?

Its a bit of a toss up. My parents normally have a major business that they run from home which has roughly 15 ppl working in 3 different rooms (osteopathy) from about 9am-9pm as well as an kinda secretary. But with the virus, I'm assuming their business will drop so there will be a lot fewer distractions. However, I haven't finished any of my alevel courses which might be an issue?
I'm a university student and we have nowhere near finished our teaching and we also have so much coursework to start
Original post by miniminx3310
Its a bit of a toss up. My parents normally have a major business that they run from home which has roughly 15 ppl working in 3 different rooms (osteopathy) from about 9am-9pm as well as an kinda secretary. But with the virus, I'm assuming their business will drop so there will be a lot fewer distractions. However, I haven't finished any of my alevel courses which might be an issue?

Wow, that would be a really difficult place to try and concentrate! Have your school prepped you for learning online?
I haven't finished coursework or the course for 1 a level, but the school have been preparing to teach us online if necessary.
As for at home I everything i need to work and it would be quiet seeing as my parents both work in the NHS so wouldn't be home
I’m on the verge of crying. One of my friend’s sister had symptoms of Coronavirus, but my friend still decided to come in! And now a few people have started coughing and my school closed today. We were all sent home.

On top of that 40 teachers were absent today and my teachers won’t reply to my emails so I don’t know what they are doing.

I’m only in year 12, but what are the chances of us having to re-take the year?
Original post by 5hyl33n
I’m on the verge of crying. One of my friend’s sister had symptoms of Coronavirus, but my friend still decided to come in! And now a few people have started coughing and my school closed today. We were all sent home.

On top of that 40 teachers were absent today and my teachers won’t reply to my emails so I don’t know what they are doing.

I’m only in year 12, but what are the chances of us having to re-take the year?

very low, would be extremely disruptive, postponing exams would be the most likely in my opinion, im also worried as to what they are going to do with UCAS applications, im really hoping they postpone those also.
I have everything needed to continue studying from home as none of my A levels has finished yet. But I do not have a quiet place to study, so it will be a bit of a struggle as I have a toddler to take care of since nurseries will be closed as well. I am not even sure how online teaching will work out.
I got mixed emotions about the GCSEs being cancelled... My predicted grades are 8s and 9s across the board and since i didnt revise for any of my mocks, i got mostly 6&7s (with the exception of maths and history (in which i got 9s and want to pursue in a level)). The thing im kinda worried about is how they'll make up grades for everyone. I will defintely not like it based on the mocks (since i only started to revise after my last mock in february) and can definitely achieve my target grades now. On the other hand, I'll be delighted if they do make my grades my predicted since 8s and 9s arent that bad tbh
im effective when i study outside my home
i miss group study sessions it really stimulates my learning
I have NOT finished my content and done all my fieldwork. Although there'll be HOME ONLINE LEARNING FROM SCHOOL.

I DO NOT have a quiet place to study

I SHOULD HAVE the necessary equipment

The WiFi, is UN AND OFF reliable, I'm not sure for how long I can rely on 4G :rofl:
(edited 4 years ago)
YES in theory
SURE?
YES
I procrastinate too much
I find it hard become independent
Original post by Evil Homer

Every person in my year group is able to work at home, that I know of. Even for those further out textbooks can be used - it'll just be dry and perhaps less in-depth. I do, however, feel that one main issue for my year group will be self-motivation. After all, with no examinations and no information on how to improve our grades what are we meant to do? I want to improve but I'm really uncertain as to how, despite all of the government's 'planning'.
Original post by rishi_ultimate
I got mixed emotions about the GCSEs being cancelled... My predicted grades are 8s and 9s across the board and since i didnt revise for any of my mocks, i got mostly 6&7s (with the exception of maths and history (in which i got 9s and want to pursue in a level)). The thing im kinda worried about is how they'll make up grades for everyone. I will defintely not like it based on the mocks (since i only started to revise after my last mock in february) and can definitely achieve my target grades now. On the other hand, I'll be delighted if they do make my grades my predicted since 8s and 9s arent that bad tbh

It's really difficult to 'predict' based on your mocks then. Even if they do that we can expect to see an increase in higher grades if it isn't managed properly - some teachers might make faulty predictions and some might deliberately bloat results up as much as possible. I just wish they'd tell us how they're doing it so we can improve upon our results...
My house is very loud and i can never study properly without my sisters and parents disturbing me during the day... this is the only issue we have nearly finished maths as level and we have alot left for chemistry and physics and im already self studying biology which im behind in but ill need to rush that and do exam practice...
*laughs in access course*
i just go to the library sometimes If the work is too hard and it needs all my complete focus but If it’s easy then I do it at home like I’m going to do my next assignment tomorrow
For me being able to study at home's not a problem and I got 9s in most of my mocks so my grades shouldn't be a worry either.
It's just motivation that I'm struggling with. To begin with I was really happy exams were cancelled but now it's suddenly hit me today. Cuz I've been working hard for 3 whole years to prepare for these exams and just as I'm reaching the top of ladder and the end's in sight the whole thing gets tipped on its head and everything that's been so important to me in my school life is suddenly meaningless and pointless and I'm just feeling lost and don't have a direction to go in. And sitting around at home thinking on my own really doesn't help matters.

I'm glad to have typed that out there that's actually helped a bit idk why
Original post by 1st superstar
YES in theory
SURE?
YES
I procrastinate too much
I find it hard become independent

I struggle really badly with procrastination as well. I am really concerned about getting assignments done on time and to a good standard. I'm a uni student and live alone, it's too easy for me to get distracted or just not get motivated to work. This whole situation is a nightmare for me, it's not like I can even go and have study sessions with friends cause we are all self isolating.
Original post by Rachel2+2SS
I struggle really badly with procrastination as well. I am really concerned about getting assignments done on time and to a good standard. I'm a uni student and live alone, it's too easy for me to get distracted or just not get motivated to work. This whole situation is a nightmare for me, it's not like I can even go and have study sessions with friends cause we are all self isolating.

True
Turns out my mum is a key worker but there's going to be no other year 11s, I can look after myself and no point as I have no exams

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending