The Student Room Group

to all folks who were retaking a-levels this year

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kekedoyouloveme?
see that's what i was hoping for, like everything just shifted so more time to revise but we dont know i rang UCAS they still said it's too early and unpredictable to tell, my parents think that in a week or two weeks time it'll be more clarified I will try ring AAB uni's for medicine such as Kent and Lancaster as they were the ones going through clearing this year and see what they suggest.

I would agree that it's too early to give any solid advice other than to keep on top of your revision. I think what you've suggested is a good way to navigate these uncertain times. I'm not sure how long it will take to government to clarify the educational situation considering everything else going on (would've much prefered them to cancel a-levels couple weeks later but provide a clear and solid solution rather than leave us unsure of what to do) but it is beyond our control and I think just see where the road leads and then make a decision.
I don’t have predicted grades, how will I be judged?
Reply 62
Original post by n.345
people saying all sorts like mock grades will be used or teachers will have to redo predicted grades and send in evidence of tests etc. But what about private candidates that are resitting. It's stressful not knowing what's going on

I honestly don't know what to do. I've been teaching myself AS maths and further maths, as well as retaking A level History, with the hopes of using the AS grades as predicted grades cuz I don't go to school. Without those results, I doubt universities will give me offers lol.
i’ve read (from the guardian) that teacher assessments will be used instead?
Did someone say they were making a gc?
Original post by jsissjdmskoss
I don’t have predicted grades, how will I be judged?

Contact your exam centre asap and ask if they need you to submit some work for assessment.
Original post by SAB3R21
I honestly don't know what to do. I've been teaching myself AS maths and further maths, as well as retaking A level History, with the hopes of using the AS grades as predicted grades cuz I don't go to school. Without those results, I doubt universities will give me offers lol.

Talk to your exam centre.
Spoke to my exam officer as I am a resit and she said if she had any definitive information she would contact me. I was an ex student and now I am a resit so I just used my school, and on UCAS my school told me their buzzword etc, and to put part time education ofc my predicted grades were changed accordingly to what I got after my first A level sitting. Now im really worried if they use these so called teacher assessments because I did not take a year out frankly to have my teachers use assessments i did over a year ago when i honestly mucked about.

Moral of the story: work hard in year 13 ;/ even if you do have underlying mental health issues
Spoke to my exam officer as I am a resit and she said if she had any definitive information she would contact me. I was an ex student and now I am a resit so I just used my school, and on UCAS my school told me their buzzword etc, and to put part time education ofc my predicted grades were changed accordingly to what I got after my first A level sitting. Now im really worried if they use these so called teacher assessments because I did not take a year out frankly to have my teachers use assessments i did over a year ago when i honestly mucked about.

Moral of the story: work hard in year 13 ;/ even if you do have underlying mental health issues

Same.
If they use teacher assessments from when I was in year 13 I am screwed b/c I was such a mess.
And I have worked SO hard on my year out to improve myself as a person and improve my grades. I am so annoyed I will never be able to prove that to myself and my teachers.
Original post by not_XIX_forever
Same.
If they use teacher assessments from when I was in year 13 I am screwed b/c I was such a mess.
And I have worked SO hard on my year out to improve myself as a person and improve my grades. I am so annoyed I will never be able to prove that to myself and my teachers.

same I broke down and i told my mum I worked so hard she was like I know, and you know its stressful for parents too, I paid like 500 pounds for the exam fees, well my parents did and we haven't got a refund just yet. They improved one of my predicted grades by one grade higher and the rest remained the same so it was supposed to be ABB now i feel like a fraud and feel like I can't even prove it to myself that I was actually working towards AAA or AAB which was my predicted ;/ now I won't ever know what I would have gotten which idk is a good thing (bc I get panicked in exams and went to therapy to manage that anxiety, or a bad thing coz i spent so much time for something that might be futile and pointless)
I just worried that we got forgotten somehow?
Reply 71
Original post by Azurain
I just worried that we got forgotten somehow?

That’s what i’m scared of too, that in the midst of sorting things out, we’ll be forgotten or they will sacrifice our grades since we’re the minority and so not a priority. Maybe it’s a far fetched thought but can’t help thinking it :frown:
I'm so anxious and scared guys. The government and Ucas said that they will email us and inform us tomorrow so let's wait and hope for the best that they have a clear plan that will not disadvantage us. It would be great if the virus would somehow stop (not logical I know) at like June or something so that they can tell us its back on but I'm not sure its safe. September or October would be ideal. Uni's definetely need us and our money around 70% of students are ones that need to take exams while the rest would be ones who took a gap year and may be international students. They could, in my opinion afford to push back the term till January at least or something. I just hope everything goes well. I hate myself for being in this position.
Reply 73
same I broke down and i told my mum I worked so hard she was like I know, and you know its stressful for parents too, I paid like 500 pounds for the exam fees, well my parents did and we haven't got a refund just yet. They improved one of my predicted grades by one grade higher and the rest remained the same so it was supposed to be ABB now i feel like a fraud and feel like I can't even prove it to myself that I was actually working towards AAA or AAB which was my predicted ;/ now I won't ever know what I would have gotten which idk is a good thing (bc I get panicked in exams and went to therapy to manage that anxiety, or a bad thing coz i spent so much time for something that might be futile and pointless)

I 100000% get you - i had a lot of things going on during my 2 years at sixth form which i managed to overcome this year and worked SUPER hard to actually show what my real ability is and now i feel like i won’t get to do that at all :frown: Honestly wish they still carry out exams, at the very least, just for retakers/private candidates, as unlikely (basically impossible) as that is.
(edited 4 years ago)
Oh my god this has given me such relief. This thread is actually a blessing. I am re sotting and cannot help but think about how they will determine our grades. I am Resitting at the college i went at last year and they put my predicted grades through. It will be unfair if they give ppl who are resitting or are private candidates their first original grade.
Original post by filzahkhan1
Oh my god this has given me such relief. This thread is actually a blessing. I am re sotting and cannot help but think about how they will determine our grades. I am Resitting at the college i went at last year and they put my predicted grades through. It will be unfair if they give ppl who are resitting or are private candidates their first original grade.

I really hope they don’t give original grades because that means some people may not be able to get into uni
I don’t even have predicted grades 😖😖 I have 5 offers will they just go off my overall application???
Has anyone firmed and insured their offers yet? My sixth form said that it is possible that unconditionals could be given out?
Original post by Navxo
I agree, it's a shame tho, I've worked so hard and paid for these exams as well, deffo expecting a full refund

paid almost £400 for mine lmao best be able to sit those exams or im moving to a different planet
Original post by Sidd1
I've just lost motivation. Like I know there's no point saying this now but I'm just like "why did I not take A levels seriously?" I had two years to get them and now this happens....

Original post by n.345
exact same situation. Some people saying private candidates might have to do separate assessments to see where we are since we haven't been doing regular tests.

when would we have to do these separate assessments though?

Quick Reply

Latest