The Student Room Group

Should I tell my teacher or not?

I’ve been feeling really stressed since I started year 12 tbh, due to my anxiety and starting at a new school, but this past week I haven’t been able to sleep and I keep crying. I don’t want to tell my teacher because they have enough on their plate with exams being cancelled, helping year 11 and 13 and their own family to care for. But my mum has cancer, I have to share a room and my home just isn’t a pleasant place to be. I know people are dying, so if anything I’m lucky and my mum said my teacher won’t care if I tell them.
It is always worth telling a teacher. Yes, I can understand you feeling you might not be cared for because of the whole pandemic situation right now, but at least if you tell someone, they can sort something out for you, even if it isn't direct help from that teacher (referring you to a counsellor maybe?). Give it a shot! Hope it works out well xx
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve been feeling really stressed since I started year 12 tbh, due to my anxiety and starting at a new school, but this past week I haven’t been able to sleep and I keep crying. I don’t want to tell my teacher because they have enough on their plate with exams being cancelled, helping year 11 and 13 and their own family to care for. But my mum has cancer, I have to share a room and my home just isn’t a pleasant place to be. I know people are dying, so if anything I’m lucky and my mum said my teacher won’t care if I tell them.

You should definitely tell her. She can help and you'll get through this. I know you don't want to put more stress on her plate but your health is just as important.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous

Hi, my mom had cancer when I was your age. If you need someone to talk to/need advice, feel free to DM me
It would be a good idea to seek professional help, for example from a therapist. But if that can’t happen at the moment, talking to a teacher or your friends really is the best thing you can do. My ex was diagnosed with depression last year, and her teachers were really supportive and helped her A LOT. Having someone to talk to really makes the difference
Reply 5
Original post by katherineZD
It would be a good idea to seek professional help, for example from a therapist. But if that can’t happen at the moment, talking to a teacher or your friends really is the best thing you can do. My ex was diagnosed with depression last year, and her teachers were really supportive and helped her A LOT. Having someone to talk to really makes the difference

Thank you. I’ve decided to call my doctor today to see if they can help in anyway, but if not then I’ll definitely get in touch with a teacher. I hope your friend is well now :smile:
Tell your teacher about your problem they serve as your second parent. It's a good feeling if you can share your inner problem with someone because you are letting it go and not suppressing it. You can find relief in that way too.
Re-Mapping the Page.
I personally feel that in a way teachers act loco parentis when you're at school so definitely tell your teacher. It will be such a relief to have told someone and I'm sure your teacher will listen. All the best.

Quick Reply

Latest