The Student Room Group

What if coronovirus gets worse and UK has a full lock down?

By a full lock down I mean going as far as banning people from exercising, and not just from gyms. Who would actually o bide by this? It's easy for those that have home gyms or it isn't too bad of a problem for those that go for walks or participate in casual jogging but what about people like myself that actually compete in various sports competitively?

At the moment gyms are getting banned so it's getting very hard for me to maintain my fitness, the most I can do is go for runs and follow a strict diet but if a full lock down is to come into place then I'm screwed.

Wondering what you all think about this as it is a possibility. Italy is currently thinking about it and as the virus gets worse with more deaths I am sure other countries will follow suit.

And before you comment, do remember that for some people sport is their life so for some people like myself it's just as important as going to work etc. So if you've not been involved in sports to a high level and want to comment 'Your selfish' then don't as I'm beyond annoyed hearing that now.

Opinions?
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Kinda is selfish for you to want to carry on as normal and risk infecting people when everyone else has to make changes to their life too. Don't want so many people to call you selfish? Then don't make such a ridiculous decision. A lot of people are unhappy with this current arrangement.
Original post by econhelp525
Kinda is selfish for you to want to carry on as normal and risk infecting people when everyone else has to make changes to their life too. Don't want so many people to call you selfish? Then don't make such a ridiculous decision. A lot of people are unhappy with this current arrangement.

Exactly! OP is acting as if hes the only being affected
Original post by SoAnnoyed572
By a full lock down I mean going as far as banning people from exercising, and not just from gyms. Who would actually o bide by this? It's easy for those that have home gyms or it isn't too bad of a problem for those that go for walks or participate in casual jogging but what about people like myself that actually compete in various sports competitively?

At the moment gyms are getting banned so it's getting very hard for me to maintain my fitness, the most I can do is go for runs and follow a strict diet but if a full lock down is to come into place then I'm screwed.

Wondering what you all think about this as it is a possibility. Italy is currently thinking about it and as the virus gets worse with more deaths I am sure other countries will follow suit.

And before you comment, do remember that for some people sport is their life so for some people like myself it's just as important as going to work etc. So if you've not been involved in sports to a high level and want to comment 'Your selfish' then don't as I'm beyond annoyed hearing that now.

Opinions?

Look it won't be forever - once the weather warms up it should slow down the virus. We are trying to delay it so that we have more hospital beds (warmer weather = less broken hips in elderly and less winter flu)

We have been told that we should be in the recovery phase in 12 weeks. I work for the NHS on the frontline in London

They won't ( I don't think) ban people from exercising - complete lockdown has not worked in Italy after all. And if it does then the internet is your friend lifting heavy suitcases, bricks, chairs etc. We are protecting the vulnerable

Opinions?

But it is being selfish
I get it is important for you but there are people out there who have no money, no food, no job. Nothing to get through this time. That's a much worse situation to be in than not being able to do sport for a short period of time when many things you can work around- jog on the spot in your house, in your garden. Make weights out of bags of flour. It's not the same but its getting some fitness in.
Plus most people I know who do sport to a high level have some sort of fitness related stuff at home- wether it be very light weights or otherwise.
Workout at home. There's a whole bunch of exercises that you don't need a gym for.
A full lockdown will almost certainly happen here as it has in most of Europe. So it’s not a case of if but when. It’s a good opportunity to intensely work out your fingers (typing) and your right hand. No point whining about it as that won’t change a thing. If lockdown happens then you can’t go to the gym, end of. So instead of wasting energy complaining and crying you’re just going to need to be creative and work out things you can do at home to maintain your tight bod.
(edited 4 years ago)
You can literally work out at home just type at home workouts on youtube
What most of you don't understand is that being an athlete is my job, yes, all sporting events are currently cancelled but maintaining my fitness is part of this job. So what you're saying is that it's okay for people to go to what the public sees as normal form of work but because what I do is different to your average person, boxing, running etc I should put a full halt to it all because it's a different line of work? That's really narrow minded, going for a run once or twice a day has less of a chance of spreading the virus then working in a 9-5 job so I don't see myself as ridiculous at all. I also have bone problems not to mention and not keeping active could cripple me in the long run so yes, it's a priority.

Running on the spot, lifting flower bags and chairs, home work outs, minus shadow boxing isn't going to do much for me at all, in fact I wouldn't see the point in working out at such a basic level, I would literally have to run on the spot for like five hours just to make up for not doing proper running, not to mention its weird form would probably give me an injury from the get go.

I see me continuing training (which puts people at much less of a risk then your type of work) as important, perhaps look at it from that point of view? It's also solved most of my mental health problems too, without exercise, myself along with many other people could hit serious depression. It's much more selfish to continue working as I said, carries a much higher risk and yes before you moan and groan about how you have to survive, so do I with athletics, it isn't just a hobbie, it's my job, please respect that.
(edited 4 years ago)
What most of you don't understand is that being an athlete is my job, yes, all sporting events are currently cancelled but maintaining my fitness is part of this job. So what you're saying is that it's okay for people to go to what the public sees as normal form of work but because what I do is different to your average person, boxing, running etc I should put a full halt to it all because it's a different line of work? That's really narrow minded, going for a run once or twice a day has less of a chance of spreading the virus then working in a 9-5 job so I don't see myself as ridiculous at all. I also have bone problems not to mention and not keeping active could cripple me in the long run so yes, it's a priority.

Running on the spot, lifting flower bags and chairs, home work outs, minus shadow boxing isn't going to do much for me at all, in fact I wouldn't see the point in working out at such a basic level, I would literally have to run on the spot for like five hours just to make up for not doing proper running, not to mention its weird form would probably give me an injury from the get go.

I see me continuing training (which puts people at much less of a risk then your type of work) as important, perhaps look at it from that point of view?

Hmm - now you are being selfish. You may be a carrier - no symptoms but capable of passing it on. Would you rather I didn't work then - if you get it and young people do then there may not be anybody to look after you. I am putting my life on the life and risking infection to save people like you

Opinions?

full lockdown is inevitable imo.

you can do workouts from home, not ideal but get on youtube & google and find some stuff, delaying the spread of the virus is far more important then one person not having ideal regime.

Every day more ventilators get made, every day we can get more makeshift hospital beds, every day there are more sanitizers and supplies being made to delay further.

The situation in Italy is dire now, we must do everything possible to delay, supress & prevent and that means people doing workouts in bedroom.

EDIT: if your a professional athlete you must have good knowledge of exercise and general strength & conditioning, you should already have a fairly good grasp of different ways you can workout in confined spaces, yes it is not ideal, but if you can stay at home, do it.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Hmm - now you are being selfish. You may be a carrier - no symptoms but capable of passing it on. Would you rather I didn't work then - if you get it and young people do then there may not be anybody to look after you. I am putting my life on the life and risking infection to save people like you

And you could be a carrier also? what's the difference? you're claiming that I should quit my job but you shouldn't, can I ask what gives you that luxury? What's selfish is that you don't see being an athlete as a career all because you haven't chosen to do that with your life. You don't see me snubbing people with every day jobs but it's okay for you to snub me and brand me as selfish.

Do you know how many people I pass by when running? Well, this mornings run I passed by two people, do tell me what's more of a risk, you and your full time job directly in contact with the public or me and my morning runs?
(edited 4 years ago)

I see me continuing training (which puts people at much less of a risk then your type of work) as important, perhaps look at it from that point of view? It's also solved most of my mental health problems too, without exercise, myself along with many other people could hit serious depression. It's much more selfish to continue working as I said, carries a much higher risk and yes before you moan and groan about how you have to survive, so do I with athletics, it isn't just a hobbie, it's my job, please respect that.

Improvise. Start planning now.
Get a bike and a turbo trainer.
Get weights in.

It's not hard to have a varied workout in your own home.

And even if a full lockdown did happen, you'd still be allowed out on the streets, you'd just be limited when.
Original post by mnot
full lockdown is inevitable imo.

you can do workouts from home, not ideal but get on youtube & google and find some stuff, delaying the spread of the virus is far more important then one person not having ideal regime.

Every day more ventilators get made, every day we can get more makeshift hospital beds, every day there are more sanitizers and supplies being made to delay further.

The situation in Italy is dire now, we must do everything possible to delay, supress & prevent and that means people doing workouts in bedroom.

EDIT: if your a professional athlete you must have good knowledge of exercise and general strength & conditioning, you should already have a fairly good grasp of different ways you can workout in confined spaces, yes it is not ideal, but if you can stay at home, do it.

I'm just wondering what makes it okay for people to work in 9-5 jobs, be in direct contact with the public but for me to go for a run, where I run past next to no one is a no go and I get branded as selfish? I've been hit with the whole 'we need to work for money to survive' but so do I? perhaps not for money but for my mental health, that's just as important, you need both to survive this world.

And I'm not a professional athlete but I am heading there with the amount of progress I've made in the past year.
And you could be a carrier also? what's the difference? you're claiming that I should quit my job but you shouldn't, can I ask what gives you that luxury? What's selfish is that you don't see being an athlete as a career all because you haven't chosen to do that with your life. You don't see me snubbing people with every day jobs but it's okay for you to snub me and brand me as selfish.

Do you know how many people I pass by when running? Well, this mornings run I passed by two people, do tell me what's more of a risk, you and your full time job or me and my morning runs?

It is for twelve weeks - not forever. Where did I say you should quit your job. We all need to pull together to get through this. We all have to make sacrifices - and if it means that you don't get out for a few weeks then that is the sacrifice you will have to make.

I am being moved from my nice oncology job to the wards where I will face infected patients. Yes I could be a carrier, but I am also in an at risk group - I have co-morbidities and am on life long meds.
I'm just wondering what makes it okay for people to work in 9-5 jobs, be in direct contact with the public but for me to go for a run.

When being an amateur athlete is classed by the government as being a "key worker" you can use that argument.
Original post by squeakysquirrel
It is for twelve weeks - not forever. Where did I say you should quit your job. We all need to pull together to get through this. We all have to make sacrifices - and if it means that you don't get out for a few weeks then that is the sacrifice you will have to make.

I am being moved from my nice oncology job to the wards where I will face infected patients. Yes I could be a carrier, but I am also in an at risk group - I have co-morbidities and am on life long meds.

Twelve weeks without fitness is a huge step back, you can take step backs for not doing fitness for a week even and this post is more or less meaning if the virus gets worse and we're in lock down for a few months to a year or longer. And yes your usual athlete would work hard to get their fitness back, but as I've said I have bone problems and if the virus is to get worse and we were to be in lock down for a long period of time then that could be an end to my dreams as I may not possibly recover, I am not getting any younger.
I'm more amused by the fact we must have had 571 previous people who were so annoyed. Quite remarkable.
Original post by Drewski
When being an amateur athlete is classed by the government as being a "key worker" you can use that argument.

Have you seen some of the jobs that are on the key worker list...
Reply 19

Opinions?

Its not a matter of will lockdown, its a matter of when the lockdown happens. I predict itll happen between now-1week. Stay fit by doing home gym routines. Basic stuff.

Majority of the public arent listening to bojo.

Don’t spread the F* virus and listen to Bojo the Hobo. Stay the F* Inside.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest