The Student Room Group
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

reading lists 2020

I am wondering because of the current issues would the uni provide reading lists in the next few months to give freshers an advantage?
Hi!

It's great that you want to great ahead with your reading however most academic schools don't finalise modules for the next academic year until the summer break.

This is because a lot of modules get reviewed and refreshed during the summer break on the basis of feedback received from students this academic year, which may result in changes to reading lists. Schools also don't tend to finalise staff teaching commitments until this period - and some reading lists may alter on the basis of which staff will be leading/teaching on the module.

I also wouldn't worry too much about reading ahead. Modules - especially first-year modules - are designed to build you in gradually so there's not going to be an excessive amount of reading material dumped on you in your first few weeks of the course!

All of this is a long-winded way of saying that it's unlikely that reading lists will get released early, however, if you let me know which subject you'll be studying, I'd be happy to ask if they have any reading recommendations for before you start your course!

Amy :smile:
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
Reply 2
Original post by Keele University
Hi!

It's great that you want to great ahead with your reading however most academic schools don't finalise modules for the next academic year until the summer break.

This is because a lot of modules get reviewed and refreshed during the summer break on the basis of feedback received from students this academic year, which may result in changes to reading lists. Schools also don't tend to finalise staff teaching commitments until this period - and some reading lists may alter on the basis of which staff will be leading/teaching on the module.

I also wouldn't worry too much about reading ahead. Modules - especially first-year modules - are designed to build you in gradually so there's not going to be an excessive amount of reading material dumped on you in your first few weeks of the course!

All of this is a long-winded way of saying that it's unlikely that reading lists will get released early, however, if you let me know which subject you'll be studying, I'd be happy to ask if they have any reading recommendations for before you start your course!

Thanx 😁

I am doing bsc psychology
Original post by Anonymous
I am doing bsc psychology

Great, thanks!

I'll get in touch with the department and see if they have anything they can recommend then get back to you. Do bear with me - at the moment the staff and admin teams are working to support our students via online teaching so it might take a little longer than usual for them to reply!

Reply 4
Great, thanks!

I'll get in touch with the department and see if they have anything they can recommend then get back to you. Do bear with me - at the moment the staff and admin teams are working to support our students via online teaching so it might take a little longer than usual for them to reply!

Thank you
Original post by donz_8
Thank you

Hi @donz_8

Apologies for the delay. The psychology department has returned my email and have recommended the following titles:

Martin, N., Carlson, N., Buskist, W. (2013). Psychology. Harlow : Pearson

Boyd, D.R., & Bee, H.L. (2014). The Developing Child. Harlow, Essex : Pearson

Van Lange, P., Kruglanski, A., & Higgins, T. (2012). Handbook of Theories in Social Psychology Los Angeles : SAGE

Breedlove, S.M., Watson, N.V., & Verne, N. (2013). Biological Psychology: An Introduction to Behavioural, Cognitive, and Clinical Neuroscience. Hove: Taylor & Francis Group.

Eysenck, M. W., & Keane, M. T. (2015). Cognitive Psychology: A Student’s Handbook (7th Ed.). Hove: Psychology Press.

These titles are used by our current first-year psychology students at Keele, however, the department has advised that "we would not be expecting prospective students to purchase books as our reading lists for 2020 entry have yet to be finalised, but this will give them an idea of the range of texts. The texts/resources we use are available to students in Keele library or via online sources."

As I said in my initial post, first-year modules are designed to gradually introduce you to the course and to studying at a university-level so there won't be an excessive amount of reading material dumped on you in your first few weeks of the course. So there's certainly no pressure for you to read ahead or purchase any textbooks at the moment - however, these will hopefully give you an idea of the range of texts you might be studying and let you do some summer reading if you're keen!

Any other questions then do let me know! In the meantime, happy reading and we look forward to welcoming you to Keele in September!

Reply 6
Hi @donz_8

Apologies for the delay. The psychology department has returned my email and have recommended the following titles:

Martin, N., Carlson, N., Buskist, W. (2013). Psychology. Harlow : Pearson

Boyd, D.R., & Bee, H.L. (2014). The Developing Child. Harlow, Essex : Pearson

Van Lange, P., Kruglanski, A., & Higgins, T. (2012). Handbook of Theories in Social Psychology Los Angeles : SAGE

Breedlove, S.M., Watson, N.V., & Verne, N. (2013). Biological Psychology: An Introduction to Behavioural, Cognitive, and Clinical Neuroscience. Hove: Taylor & Francis Group.

Eysenck, M. W., & Keane, M. T. (2015). Cognitive Psychology: A Student’s Handbook (7th Ed.). Hove: Psychology Press.

These titles are used by our current first-year psychology students at Keele, however, the department has advised that "we would not be expecting prospective students to purchase books as our reading lists for 2020 entry have yet to be finalised, but this will give them an idea of the range of texts. The texts/resources we use are available to students in Keele library or via online sources."

As I said in my initial post, first-year modules are designed to gradually introduce you to the course and to studying at a university-level so there won't be an excessive amount of reading material dumped on you in your first few weeks of the course. So there's certainly no pressure for you to read ahead or purchase any textbooks at the moment - however, these will hopefully give you an idea of the range of texts you might be studying and let you do some summer reading if you're keen!

Any other questions then do let me know! In the meantime, happy reading and we look forward to welcoming you to Keele in September!

Thank you Amy
Will keep be good during lockdown 😊
Hi!

What about for medicine MBChB? Thank you :smile:

I can't see anything on the web pages but let me drop the Medical School an email and see if they have any recommendations for you!

Hi!

The Medicine MBChB team have advised that if you email them at [email protected], they can give you some guidance about reading lists and suitable reading for over the summer.

Hope that helps!

Hi!

The Medicine MBChB team have advised that if you email them at [email protected], they can give you some guidance about reading lists and suitable reading for over the summer.

Hope that helps!

thank you so much <3
Alternatively, you can find the current reading lists for all Keele Modules here:
https://keele.rl.talis.com/index.html

Sometimes there are updates to these readings lists each year, but especially for compulsory first year modules this can be quite rare.

Quick Reply

Latest