The Student Room Group

What if coronovirus gets worse and UK has a full lock down?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vicvic38
Standing outside isn't going to infect anyone, calm yourself. If you can run/walk and remain a good distance from others the risk is negligible. The figures stating the virus remains in the air is for stagnant, indoors air. Not turbulent outside air.

Spain has banned people from going outside for exercise and Italy is thinking of it and although we're the UK and not Spain or Italy, if things get worse we could follow suit, regardless of how ridiculous the request is.
Original post by SoAnnoyed572
Lets hope that they won't ever prevent us from going for a run because then everyone from this post can apologise to me.

Why would anyone need to apologise to you?

In the event there was a lockdown and you were told to stay indoors, but you refused, then you would be arrested and fined or worse. You arent more important than everyone else. I doubt anyone would be wanting to apologise to you, more the other way round.
Yeah honestly I feel like forcing everyone to stay inside except absolutely necessary is completely inhumane. Humans need to go out, feel the sun and breeze on their skin. If you completely force everyone to stay inside for months on end you're going to cause suicides.

Yes the whole thing is ridiculous but at the same time 9-5 workers are continuously snubbing me when they're the ones spreading the virus more then going for runs ever would. Also, no one but yourself has taken mental health into account, a lot of people run etc for their mental health but apparently that's not a priority to most on here.
Original post by 999tigger
Why would anyone need to apologise to you?

In the event there was a lockdown and you were told to stay indoors, but you refused, then you would be arrested and fined or worse. You arent more important than everyone else. I doubt anyone would be wanting to apologise to you, more the other way round.

I clearly said if people are still allowed to go out doors for jogs etc in a lock down then I am clearly right and you're all wrong?
Spain has banned people from going outside for exercise and Italy is thinking of it and although we're the UK and not Spain or Italy, if things get worse we could follow suit, regardless of how ridiculous the request is.

Some cities in the US have already made the stipulation regarding exercise being OK.

And I don't think it is properly enforceable anyway. We don't have enough Police, so you'd have to bring out the Army, and the last time the Government tried that the Queen squashed it. She won't let the army be called on her own citizens. You could do it in cities, but if you live out in a town with no permanent police force then what are they going to do?

As I've said elsewhere, this is going to cause suicides if carried on for too long. You can't keep humans inside like that.
Some cities in the US have already made the stipulation regarding exercise being OK.

And I don't think it is properly enforceable anyway. We don't have enough Police, so you'd have to bring out the Army, and the last time the Government tried that the Queen squashed it. She won't let the army be called on her own citizens. You could do it in cities, but if you live out in a town with no permanent police force then what are they going to do?

As I've said elsewhere, this is going to cause suicides if carried on for too long. You can't keep humans inside like that.

I live close by the country side but that's only a two mile track, can't really have that as my only running route.
Yes the whole thing is ridiculous but at the same time 9-5 workers are continuously snubbing me when they're the ones spreading the virus more then going for runs ever would. Also, no one but yourself has taken mental health into account, a lot of people run etc for their mental health but apparently that's not a priority to most on here.

What a lot of the "we're going to be locked down for 12 months" crowd don't seem to understand is that you CAN'T HALT THE ECONOMY. People have to work. People have to grow and transport food. People have to stock the food, and manage the supermarkets. People, now more than ever, have to keep our telecoms working, they have to make sure the mail gets from place to place. Gas has to be maintained, power plants manned and the national grid managed.

I hate all the people shaming others for going outside. We should be limiting unnecessary contact, yes. No cafes, no cinemas, no pubs. We need to stop shaming others who can't just stay inside forever. We need to balance the REAL needs of ourselves and the economy while also slowing the spread of the virus.
People like you, OP, is why we NEED a lockdown. I don't want one but don't be selfish and stay indoors. Yes, you're an athlete but improvise. Don't out other people at risk.
Original post by MrMusician95
People like you, OP, is why we NEED a lockdown. I don't want one but don't be selfish and stay indoors. Yes, you're an athlete but improvise. Don't out other people at risk.

Staying indoors for weeks on end is awful for people's mental health, and going for a run isn't going to kill or infect anyone.

Guessing you're another person that's lucky enough to work from home?
Guessing you're another person that's lucky enough to work from home?

No, I'm not. I'm a key worker. I'd rather work from home but my job is keeping people alive, so...
Staying indoors for weeks on end is awful for people's mental health, and going for a run isn't going to kill or infect anyone.

I agree, it's awful for mental health. Going for a run won't kill or infect anyone? Right...
You're putting more people at risk then I am.

Lmao, are you seriously saying an NHS worker is putting more people at risk than you? You're something special.
I agree, it's awful for mental health. Going for a run won't kill or infect anyone? Right...

Well, no it won't. If you leave your house, run without touching your face, and don't get within the regulation 6 feet of others, then return home, how are you going to infect anyone? The figures saying it can be suspended in air is only for stagnant indoor air.
Well, no it won't. If you leave your house, run without touching your face, and don't get within the regulation 6 feet of others, then return home, how are you going to infect anyone? The figures saying it can be suspended in air is only for stagnant indoor air.

Agreed but if there is a lockdown and you don't obey the rules then you're selfish.
Agreed but if there is a lockdown and you don't obey the rules then you're selfish.

So you agree that running can't make anyone sick but if there's a lock down then it's selfish?? Hmm. I'm guessing you're a cleaner at the hospital or something with that logic.
So you agree that running can't make anyone sick but if there's a lock down then it's selfish?? Hmm. I'm guessing you're a cleaner at the hospital or something with that logic.

If there is a lockdown and you don't do what the government have said then you are selfish.
If there is a lockdown and you don't do what the government have said then you are selfish.

So if the government told you to live in a barrel of poo at the end of your garden for no reason what so ever, you'd do it?
So if the government told you to live in a barrel of poo at the end of your garden for no reason what so ever, you'd do it?

Lmao, what? If there's a lockdown there is a GOOD reason for it.

Or maybe totalitarian lockdowns are ethically dubious and doing the bare basics to keep yourself functioning is not shameful?

Should we be closing "social" businesses (pubs, clubs, resturants etc)? Yes.
Should we be cancelling large outdoors events? Yes.
Should we be allowing people to remain home so they don't unknowingly infect everyone at work/school and on public transport? Yes.

We should not be irrational, obviously, but where do borders end? Can I not go into my own garden? Can I not walk my dog? How is walking my dog (paying mind to any social distance) any different to walking myself with that same awareness?

Quick Reply

Latest